Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

"Potential thread"

When I start FLYERTALK I sometime get this:

http://microsoftbrittlenesssaver.pl

http://microsoftbrittlenesssaver.pl/...84cb2/pr2/196/

"Potential thread"

I cancel it always and use "MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS"! Any idea what it is ?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:34 am

you certainly have some sort of malware.

try malwarebytes?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

LIH Prem:

Thanks a lot! I used MALWAREBYTES and it found 5 threats. Thanks again!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-computer.html

The issue appears to be related to one of the ads being served on Flyertalk. Nothing helpful from IB support so far.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"There is no virus on FT" - but they clearly let some ads through that can push nastiness. Just because "FT is clean" doesn't mean someone let an ad slip through that loads malware. Surprising lack of interest from them here in fixing this.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I've had the same virus warning from my Norton Symantic 360 for the last four out of five days or nights that I've clicked to get to FT, with the most recent being early this morning. Each time, Norton blocked and removed two immediate threats, but that leaves a blank page on my screen with the option to either use the "cleaner" to remove the fraudulent threat, or cancel which gets me to my initial Windows icon page. If I just try to close the blank page at the top right, it just pops up the same box offering to get rid of the threat.

Noticed that the threat arrives with two different URL's, but both of them end with the same ".pl", so I'm surprised that IB can do nothing to track and stop the threats.

Just to be safe I do a complete scan of my system after Norton blocks the threat, and nothing shows up, so it appears to have been successfully blocked, but I'm not happy about the threat, even moreso if it's coming from FT.

bj-21.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Had similar "false" popup alerts on cruisecritic dot com - IE scripts from their ads, prompting one to do a "free" scan - depending on what AV security product(s) and OS being used - IE 8.0 and 9.0 running AVG seemed to getting them, Firefox with aVast seemed better. AV's updated signature file sometimes set off the warning too, had forwarded the reports to their support for review.

Best practices are to do periodic deep & full scan of hardware & drives using different products if desired, to spot unusual activities and review router/firewall logs for outbound traffic/open stealth ports, etc. On our home server, we pull the broadband connectivity at times to stop all network traffic - threats can do much harm when it's isolated & contained within, offline to the "outside world".

Amazed that most tablet & ipad users run their tech toys with virtually no "defenses" whatsoever unlike the desktop, laptop & netbook generation ... often on open, unsecured WiFi network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.