Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best PrePaid iphone Sim cards for UK and France for Data?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Hello, I did look through the consolidated thread but the UK part was from 2010 so I was worried it may be out of date, and I was unclear about France.

I'm in the UK for 2 weeks then France for 2 weeks, I am looking for a prepaid Sim card with the best data plan, as I will be using iMessage a lot, and hopefully uploading photos, and likely using skype for phone calls home. It may be nice to have the ability to send out a few texts too.

I'm assuming that it might be better to buy a separate sim card for each country?
I'm hoping to find good value and not break the bank.. is this possible?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:25 am

Yeah. Just get a separate sim card for each country. You can check each country's providers page for the best deals, as it changes quite often.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three UK (www.three.co.uk) has an unlimited 3G data SIM-only package for about 15 pounds, good for a month. It includes 600 calling minutes and 3000 texts. You can buy micro-SIMs or regular SIMs through them, including at vending machines in Heathrow.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for... UK down, thank you... now.. anyone have anything similar with France?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Three UK (www.three.co.uk) has an unlimited 3G data SIM-only package for about 15 pounds, good for a month. It includes 600 calling minutes and 3000 texts. You can buy micro-SIMs or regular SIMs through them, including at vending machines in Heathrow.
if you remember where are the vending machines at Heathrow ?

and how long is the Sim good for until the number expires ?

Thanks for the info

Soarer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Oh I just realized, I'm flying into Gatwick, do you think I'll be able to get a sim card there?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:32 pm

i have to agree three uk is the best one great plans i used the 15.00 pound for 1 month with unlimited data when i visited and i used the tether for me and my wifes tablets
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by magsmeplease
Oh I just realized, I'm flying into Gatwick, do you think I'll be able to get a sim card there?
im not sure if they have a sim vending machine in gatwick but search this site http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/ they have all the sims i got my sim from the hammersmith tube station they have a store in there they have alot of stores all over london
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA
go to giffgaff and order a sim card from them. They use the o2 network and it's a lot more reliable than 3
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
go to giffgaff and order a sim card from them. They use the o2 network and it's a lot more reliable than 3
Seeing I'm in London and the rates seem much better for Three... is reliability really going to be a big issue?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soarer
if you remember where are the vending machines at Heathrow ?

and how long is the Sim good for until the number expires ?

Thanks for the info

Soarer
All I know is VendPOint.

https://www.google.com/webhp?q=heath...ding%20machine
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Last time I was in LHR (about 20 mo ago) I recall there was a machine (probably was a VendPoint) by the stairs next to the Yotel.

Most SIMs I've gotten in Europe are good for 6 months from last usage. If you use it every 6 months then they're probably good indefinitely (as long as there's credit).
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I'm in the midst of a UK/France trip now, and here's what I've experienced...

UK
Getting a SIM in the UK was ridiculously easy. There are vending machines at Heathrow selling several carriers' SIMs. SIMs are also available at any Boot's pharmacy, Carphone Warehouse, and others. The best deal is Three, which will sell you a standard SIM or micro SIM for I believe 5 pounds (I happened to have bought one ahead of time on eBay). Charge it with 15 pounds of credit and you can get their 15-pound add on, which gives you 300 minutes of calls, 3000 texts , and unlimited 3G data for a month. The minutes and texts are only good for calling/texting UK numbers, not back home. The network in and around London was fine. Some dead spots, but nothing horrible or long-lasting.

I topped up my Three SIM at a Boots pharmacy in Heathrow with 20 pounds, got the 15 pound add on, and had another 5 pounds for credit to text back home (which I didn't use much, since I texted via Google Voice).

France
Getting a SIM in France was more of an ordeal. I first went to an SFR store, and they told me that their entire prepaid system had been down for a few days due to unknown technical problems, so they wouldn't/couldn't sell me a prepaid SIM.

Next, I went to Orange. The guy there flat-out refused to sell me a prepaid SIM for an iPhone, saying that with a smartphone I'd burn through all my data allowance in "five minutes". This despite the sign by the cash register showing prepaid SIM options, including an iPhone micro SIM with 200 MB of data. The flyer also said that it would take 48 hours for the data service to be activated, which is awful, so I didn't press the guy at Orange.

Finally, I went to Bouygues (pronounced "boog"), and they were happy to sell me a microSIM. He said it was 10 euro for the SIM and then I could buy more credit, but looking at my account online shows that that 10 euros is indeed reflected in my available credit. In any case, I got the "2 fois" plan, which allows free SMS in France and calls at EUR 0.45/min - a bit steep. There is a data add on of EUR 10 for 200 MB. Once you're out, you get an SMS from Bouygues and you can dial 630 to top up or buy another 200 MB with existing account credit.

Bouygues service is not the best. In the middle of Paris, I'd have inexplicable data outages despite showing full 3G signal. I frequently drop down to EDGE or get No Service intermittently, only to quickly bounce back to full 3G signal. They also block VPN connections. Still, it more or less works and is fine for short term.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Aug 6, 2012 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up, Three has been awesome in the UK btw, I highly recommend them as the all you can use data is perfect!

As for France, I'm a little discouraged seeing that it's so difficult to find a SIM card with a decent data plan, my backup is to get a Vodafone SIM card here in the UK which is 2 pounds per day for 25MB.

I'd love unlimited data or at least more data for France but it feels like I'm running out of options.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I posted somewhere in another thread, but when I was in the UK last (May-June), I picked up an O2 sim card for my old iPhone 3 for GBP 10, and it was good for nearly unlimited data/text, and I used it for a couple of UK calls. The entire purchase process took no more than 5 minutes, and that included them helping to change out the sim card.

We went out to the Stratford Mall (near the Olympic Park), and there's shops for nearly every UK provider...many of them either beside each other or just across from each other.

We also went to Germany on this trip, and it is a bit more challenging there. I did get an O2 sim card, but I think it was E30, had to provide a passport, address (the clerk just used his), and in general it took about 30 min to do it all. The odd thing was, the first O2 store I went in they just said they were out of sim cards and come back tomorrow. I kept walking, was about to go into an Orange shop, when there was another O2 shop, where they had one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.