Wiki Posts
Search

ADT Security Systems

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
ADT Security Systems

OK, this is technology... maybe not travel technology but... anyway I need help.

One of my tenants put in an ADT security system. They moved out without leaving any information on the system. I tried to contact ADT and told them what system it was and ask them about pricing for monitoring so I could tell any perspective tenants, but they flat out would tell me nothing, no price ranges at all but kept insisting that the new tenants would have to schedule an IN HOME consultation in order to get any pricing. No way no how would I get pricing any other way. Well, this just rubs me the wrong way, I would like to at least have an idea of price ranges to tell perspective tenants....

Any idea what to do with this system? I could Ebay it I suppose! But anyway, does it work as an alarm system without paying for monitoring? Any idea what ADT does charge? A range to give any perspective tenants? I could just go ahead and WASTE ADT's time and have them send someone out and meet with me I suppose, then tell them I will get back to them when a tenant moves in.

But really it is not the salesman's fault that his company is like this so probably not fair to do that to someone.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:41 pm

ADT service is usually around $36 per month (in California) when you get new service with contract. They usually give you the equipments for free if you sign up for 2 or 3 years. Installation fee is $99. They are not tell you over the phone because they want to upsell you during home consultation.. extra remote, camera, etc... and they want you to get into a contract with them. Since you already have the equipments, it is harder for them to talk you into a contract so they have to come face to face and do their sales thingy.

You cannot use the equipment without service, but just having the ADT sign outside probably did 90% of the job. There are cheaper service out there that can use ADT equipment around $20 a month I think. You have to search for them.
Old May 10, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks. The guy took the sign with him, and I noticed ADT signs are going for $50ish on eBay! More than the systems...

Originally Posted by Need
ADT service is usually around $36 per month (in California) when you get new service with contract. They usually give you the equipments for free if you sign up for 2 or 3 years. Installation fee is $99. They are not tell you over the phone because they want to upsell you during home consultation.. extra remote, camera, etc... and they want you to get into a contract with them. Since you already have the equipments, it is harder for them to talk you into a contract so they have to come face to face and do their sales thingy.

You cannot use the equipment without service, but just having the ADT sign outside probably did 90% of the job. There are cheaper service out there that can use ADT equipment around $20 a month I think. You have to search for them.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it in your lease that additions to the apartment like this must be pre approved by the landlord? I remember when I got an ADT system a while back, they said they needed landlord permission first.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
You can use the equipment to the extent that it will trip and the noise maker will sound, it will just not notify anyone.

They charge me about the same in Texas.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Is it in your lease that additions to the apartment like this must be pre approved by the landlord? I remember when I got an ADT system a while back, they said they needed landlord permission first.
I have a property manager that manages my properties. I'm pretty sure that they have that in the lease but obviously got around it somehow. Anyway this couple have been in the house for 5 years and were excellent tenants so they got a lot of leeway.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
You can use the equipment to the extent that it will trip and the noise maker will sound, it will just not notify anyone.

They charge me about the same in Texas.
correct, the sensors and the base station should provide audible alerts if a sensor is tripped. but, if you don't have the ARM code, you really can't enable it at all. And, I'm not sure you can RESET the ARM code without ADT. Maybe on the internet there is are reset instructions.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:50 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
correct, the sensors and the base station should provide audible alerts if a sensor is tripped. but, if you don't have the ARM code, you really can't enable it at all. And, I'm not sure you can RESET the ARM code without ADT. Maybe on the internet there is are reset instructions.
Mine, which is a wired system - part about 20 years old and part about 8 years old - works fine without a contract. I let it lapse once for a couple of months as part of it was burned out over the years by nearby lightning activity. I cannot say about the newer systems. YMMV
Old May 10, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Since you yourself are definitely not going to be paying for this, why don't you schedule the in-home consultation and get the pricing and tell them at the end that you won't be buying?
Yes, do so. They are a pain with this we have to come visit you to tell you anything mode of operation. The last time I had them out I wanted to add new features to the system. The salesperson was so intent on following his script all he could handle was reactivating the monitoring contract.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I don't think anyone had said it yet, yes, the systems do work without a contract. They just won't call the police/fire/ambulance without one. But the siren will still go off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.