Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App to use Android phone as webcam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
App to use Android phone as webcam

My new work laptop doesn't have a built in webcam. I started packing an actual webcam (which is actually my Cisco telepresence camera), but it's made of metal and it's fancy hinged design is a little weird, so it's prompted a bag search on a couple flights lately, to the point where I now just pull it out and put it in a separate bin with my phone/keys/etc.

It occurs to me, though, that I carry an Android phone with two cameras in it, and if I could make my computer recognize it as a webcam, could do away with both the extended TSA visit and an extra chunk of matter in my carry-on.

So, anyone have pointers/recommendations for apps or other methods to make you phone function as a USB webcam? I found a couple apps that run over wifi and bluetooth, but I also don't have BT on the laptop and am not sure if wifi will work since I'll need to be connected to hotel wifi to get to the interwebs.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by gooselee
My new work laptop doesn't have a built in webcam. I started packing an actual webcam (which is actually my Cisco telepresence camera), but it's made of metal and it's fancy hinged design is a little weird, so it's prompted a bag search on a couple flights lately, to the point where I now just pull it out and put it in a separate bin with my phone/keys/etc.

It occurs to me, though, that I carry an Android phone with two cameras in it, and if I could make my computer recognize it as a webcam, could do away with both the extended TSA visit and an extra chunk of matter in my carry-on.

So, anyone have pointers/recommendations for apps or other methods to make you phone function as a USB webcam? I found a couple apps that run over wifi and bluetooth, but I also don't have BT on the laptop and am not sure if wifi will work since I'll need to be connected to hotel wifi to get to the interwebs.
You might look at IP Webcam. I don't think it will allow your phone to function as a USB webcam connected to your computer but it does make your phone's cam output web accessible. You could just tell others what appropriate address for it.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
You might look at IP Webcam. I don't think it will allow your phone to function as a USB webcam connected to your computer but it does make your phone's cam output web accessible. You could just tell others what appropriate address for it.
Oh, to clarify, I was actually looking to use the phone camera as an input for things like Google Talk and Skype, where the actual connection to someone else would be through a program/browser on the laptop.

I know I can just do them directly through the phone, but I'd love to see my family on something bigger than a phone screen if possible
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Oh, to clarify, I was actually looking to use the phone camera as an input for things like Google Talk and Skype, where the actual connection to someone else would be through a program/browser on the laptop.

I know I can just do them directly through the phone, but I'd love to see my family on something bigger than a phone screen if possible
Previous poster was right though - here are the steps on how to make it work:

http://android.appstorm.net/how-to/h...e-as-a-webcam/
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Previous poster was right though - here are the steps on how to make it work:

http://android.appstorm.net/how-to/h...e-as-a-webcam/
Ahh, good find. Thanks! I may give all three a try and report back what seems to work best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.