Does one absolutely need a data plan with AT&T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does one absolutely need a data plan with AT&T

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Cricket is an actual carrier, not a mvno.
not true. cricket is a sprint mvno.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by dtsm
Unfortunately we want to migrate to Verizon, not AT&T.
Since Verizon uses CDMA phones, you will have to get a new phone as the unlocked iphone that you used previously on Tmobile will not work. It will work on AT&T, which is why people here are mentioning AT&T prepaid as an alternative.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Time traveller
Since Verizon uses CDMA phones, you will have to get a new phone as the unlocked iphone that you used previously on Tmobile will not work. It will work on AT&T, which is why people here are mentioning AT&T prepaid as an alternative.
I assumed migration to Vz also meant a new iPhone [4s], sorry for the oversight

We might wait and try to Cricket, or wait till Sept for iPhone 5....
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dtsm
3. Prepaids are not economical - plus I don't think you can't port existing number to prepaid
The second part is just not true. MANY prepaid plans allow you to port. As for the first part, there are lots of very affordable prepaid plans. I like straighttalk - runs on AT&T's network and offers unlimited talk, text, and data for $45/month. $42 if you pay three months at a time. Post-paid can't touch that - and your wife would get data to boot. Even if you found a carrier where you couldn't port, you could always port the number to Google Voice and direct that to the phone.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
The second part is just not true. MANY prepaid plans allow you to port.
Again sorry for bad communications on my part - I was referring to Vz only.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by pdxer:18693181
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Cricket is an actual carrier, not a mvno.
not true. cricket is a sprint mvno.
You're both partially right. In about one third of the country, Cricket operates its own network. In the rest of the country, it's an MVNO.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by dtsm:18700671
I assumed migration to Vz also meant a new iPhone [4s], sorry for the oversight

We might wait and try to Cricket, or wait till Sept for iPhone 5....
Won't work with cricket either. CDMA again. Basically, that phone will only work on the At&t or T-mobile networks.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:15 pm

Just for the record, I have had iPhones on ATT with no data plan for a couple of years. I already had the numbers, just bought the phones used. In each case ATT told me I had to have a data plan and I told them my contract was years out and I did not need a data plan. It worked. This was for two lines on a family plan & a third line did have a data plan.

Those plans still had data available so I would pay if any data was used. I kept data turned off on the phones so they only did data on wifi. This also disabled MMS texting and texts to multiple numbers.

I tried the TMO $30 prepaid plan but it doesn't work in China. In the end I got a RAZR Maxx & two years to life on Verizon.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

AT&T prepaid has unlimited voice and text for $50/month. This is cheaper than a plan with 2 year contract. Just purchase a prepaid AT&T SIM card and insert it into your unlocked iphone and call AT&T to port your number from T-Mobile. Simple as that!
Just want to confirm above. Went to AT&T store, talked with a real tech savy sales guy re prepaid and post paid accounts. Got a prepaid account for my wife's iPhone 3gs [currently on TMO], paid $10 plus tax for 100 minutes with option to upgrade to $50 unlimited plan any time we want. No data plan. Got home and behold, full bars of service.

Sales guy told us we can port her TMO anytime we want. With prepaid, no data required, with post paid, require data but no two year contract. So far so good.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
An even better option is to go prepaid with H2O Wireless. It's way cheaper than ATT

It's super easy and super cheap, just $.05/min and $.05/sms or a $30 unlimited talk and SMS plan. They have other plans too with data and the like.

H2O works with all ATT phones.

It's almost free to try, just go onto Ebay and you can buy a SIM for $1. Log on to their website to activate.

Pop it in, and you're going!

I use this when I'm back in the states with my iPhones and they're awesome, highly recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.