Wiki Posts
Search

Travel router which also accepts a sim card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Travel router which also accepts a sim card

Hi,

I'm looking for a travel size router (usb powered, pocket size) which can do all the usual stuff of wired ethernet <-> wifi, plus which accepts a sim card, so it can do the same with a 3G and above connection.

For example, while overseas I would buy a sim card with a data plan, plug the sim card into the router and share the 3G internet among my devices.

Again, I need this on top of ethernet to wifi and vice versa capabilities.

Any models to recommend?

TIA
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I have never used one myself. I think you should shop around and chose the one with the best features, versus cost that works for you.

The overseas portion is going to be your largest issue, though I would think that the devices would not be locked to any provider based on the research I have done on it.

-Patrick
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
AT&T, T-Mobile and Europe use three different UTMS bands. T-Mobile is now using the same as AT&T but only in a few places. I am unaware of any router with a built in HSDPA modem that has UMTS I, II, IV support.

What follows is my list of devices. These are ancient but they serve very well. If your requirements differ (like, you can live without T-Mobile/Wind Mobile Canada) then you have many more choices.

I am using the Option iCON 452, it even supports UMTS V which is superb useful in Australia and sometimes in North America too. There tons of modems which sport a USB port to plug the 452 into but most of them are insanely awkward with the modem dangling. I hate that. I use a WiReach Classic http://mx.mouser.com/Search/ProductD...WIREACH-US-110 which has a nice dent in it.

Alternatively you can grab the Option GlobeTrotter Express 442 (I am not an Option salesman) which is an expresscard pretty much with the same features. The Cradlepoint CTR500 has an ExpressCard slot. I had been using this before the WiReach + 452 but as it has no battery on its own, it's not ideal. This has an Ethernet port.

To sum up: AWS, Ethernet port, battery -- pick any two.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Tnx for the replies.

To clarify, I am looking for units which support ethernet or 3G, such as:
Huawei E5151
Huawei 355

Im not affiliated with Huawei, just came across these units mentioned on threads in this forum.

Any other model to consider?

TIA
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Tnx for the replies.

To clarify, I am looking for units which support ethernet or 3G, such as:
Huawei E5151
Huawei 355

Im not affiliated with Huawei, just came across these units mentioned on threads in this forum.

Any other model to consider?

TIA
Personally, I would avoid any Chinese devices if you want an expectation of privacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei#..._controversies
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Personally, I would avoid any Chinese devices if you want an expectation of privacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei#..._controversies
Yeah Huawei is kind of in the spotlight. I wouldn't use them for, well, anything right now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.