Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel router for iPad?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 7:00 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
How does the Airport work when the wired connection requires a webpage login to be activated?
Old May 21, 2012, 8:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by TA
How does the Airport work when the wired connection requires a webpage login to be activated?
You can set it up as a bridge, so that it will take that page and just send it wirelessly to your browser so you can log in or give your credit card, or click on the terms, whatever you need to do.

From one post on the apple boards

The AirPort Express needs to be configured in Bridge Mode to work on most hotel networks. If you already have the Express setup to create a wireless network, you can check the Connection Sharing setting quickly as follows:

AirPort Utility - Manual Setup
Click the Internet icon
Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)

When you get to the hotel, connect the ethernet cable to wall jack, power up the AirPort Express and open the browser on your computer. The hotel's log in page will appear to so you can agree to terms and pay the fees, etc.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
As others have said, there are several threads on various options for this; an excellent choice is the Asus WL-330N3G, it's very versatile as a travel router. I've had great results with it.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I picked up a Zyxel MWR102 for about $30. What I like about it:

1) Inexpensive
2) very small
3) USB (mini) powered so I don't need a separate power supply
4) since it doesn't need to be directly plugged into the wall, easier to position near RJ45 plug

For me it's a backup device as I have a mifi hotspot. I carry it for when I don't have mifi coverage and there is no wireless internet or when my wife and I are traveling so we both need to connect (and I take my mifi to the meeting...)
Old May 21, 2012, 9:42 am

I'm looking to get a small size travel router that gives me WiFi. It will make the i Pad more useful in hotels that don't offer WiFi. Is this my only solution?
Old May 21, 2012, 2:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You have lots of options:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
A title search on "Travel Router" will net 20 threads with discussion/recommendations.
The one used to use (before selling it, since I used it so little) was the Linksys Travel router which would re-distribute either wired or wireless signals.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Thanks for the replies. Since I'm not a business traveler, most of the hotels I've stayed at don't cater to them and it's wired free, wifi free in lobby only (must pay in rooms). I've used the wired in the past with my laptop, but I'd like to lighten up by bringing the iPad only and be comfortable, not facing the wall. Is it possible to use the Airport Express without having a computer along by sending the login page to the iPad?
Old May 21, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by gregmchicago
What I've run into is properties that have wired internet in the rooms, but wifi only in the lobby.
+1

There are still hotels that charge for in-room Internet (wired or wireless) but offer free access in the lobby, common areas, business center or conference rooms. Sheraton Burlington, VT comes to mind immediately but there are others.

In this case, and if I don't have status to get free Internet, I'll ask for a room near the lobby or over the lobby on floor 2 and use my Linksys travel router to grab the free signal and re-distribute it in my room for all devices that I use.

Likewise, there are still hotels, especially in Europe that offer one free connection via a promo code or charge per device connected...again, in which case a travel router is a huge help!
Old May 21, 2012, 5:56 pm

I'd like to know which travel router would work well in Europe to allow internet access to multiple devices where the hotel sells a paid wireless code that only allows one device at a time. I carry an Ipad and a laptop.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I'd like to know which travel router would work well in Europe to allow internet access to multiple devices where the hotel sells a paid wireless code that only allows one device at a time. I carry an Ipad and a laptop.
The Asus WL-330N3G I mentioned above would work great to share a paid wireless connection with multiple devices. I like that it is powered by micro-usb, so I can hook it up to a portable battery and use it to share a GoGo wireless connection inflight.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CatJo
The Asus WL-330N3G I mentioned above would work great to share a paid wireless connection with multiple devices. I like that it is powered by micro-usb, so I can hook it up to a portable battery and use it to share a GoGo wireless connection inflight.
Not to be a wet blanket but re-broadcasting a gogo signal in-flight is a no-no on a number of levels. I am sure it would violate their terms of service and I am sure that the airline/FAA would frown on creating a hotspot mid-air.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:58 pm
Company Representative - GogoAir

Originally Posted by CatJo

Please don't.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by cordelli
While not what you were asking for, the one thing I would really think about in buying a travel router is what will you be using it for.

Most all of them, if not all of them will take a wired connection and rebroadcast it.

Not all of them will do the same with a wireless connection should you want to connect multiple devices in a hotel room to one wireless signal from the hotel. It may or may never be an issue, and may never be a needed feature for you, but I think that is the one thing that differentiates some of the products out there.
+1 I learned the hard way. I got an Airport Express, which does what the OP wants very well, but will not extend or share a wifi network with other devices unless the wifi is from an Apple Router. Make sure you know what you need before buying. For the OP's needs it will work perfectly.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Many routers have built in browsers, so you connect to the router, open it's browser, accept the terms or pay for the wifi connection, and you are all set. For example in the datasheet for the Asus mentioned it says

In Hotspot (Wi-Fi Account sharing) mode, the WL-330N3G connects to a wireless hotspot that requires authorization/payment (e.g. Hotel, Airport, and Coffee shop Wi-Fi service). With only one payment, you can share a wireless signal to all other Wi-Fi

So look for something like that in the literature (or just get the asus)

If they offer it they will usually put it up front in their datasheets.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Gogo
Please don't.
Fair enough; I've in the past signed up on my laptop and then disconnected to switch to my iPhone, which GoGo made easy to do on the same paid for connection; thought this would alleviate the hassle of switching the two. No plans do use the Asus for this then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.