Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Greece

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Prepaid SIM - Greece

Looking for all you can eat data sim prepaid sim for Iphone 4.
Anyone have any advice?
thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
would appreciate any info regarding this as well....will be in athens for 5 days next month....looking for a prepaid sim for my iphone....i only need to use it for data....
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
I had really good service from Vodaphone, plus very good rates. It was different when I was there, but it seems that you can get unlimited data for 1Euro/day from the link below. There was a shop just off Syntagma Square and they set everything up in minutes. Remember to take your passport when you go to complete the purchase.

http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/client...1&menuId=11241
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SNA1K
I had really good service from Vodaphone, plus very good rates. It was different when I was there, but it seems that you can get unlimited data for 1Euro/day from the link below. There was a shop just off Syntagma Square and they set everything up in minutes. Remember to take your passport when you go to complete the purchase.

http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/client...1&menuId=11241
thanks....looks like they have a 500mb plan for €5....that should work very well for me....
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Can anyone provide any updated information for Greece? I'm headed there on Friday for about 5 days and just get lost in all the plan options.

I'm looking at this page on Surf & Email 100, which seems to offer 100 MB for 5€, but it claims to be a "Data plan for prepay or kartoprogramma subscribers" so I'm not sure exactly what that is.

In addition, looking at the option "Without automatic renewal," it shows a charge of 1€ per day after using the 100 MB, but that's what I don't get...how do they charge me? Do I have to go in the store and add "credit" to the account?

Then there's a special offer at the top, claiming "500MB with 5€ for 30 days." I don't know what it means when it says "with 5€"...does that mean I get 500 MB along with an extra 5€ of credit? Or for another 5€ charge, I get an extra 500 MB?

::Sigh:: these plans are making my head spin. I have a GSM-unlocked iPhone 5, and I'd really just like 500 MB or so of data plus a little money to make a handful of local calls while I'm there (i.e. dinner reservations, etc). Is there a charge for the actual SIM card itself? Can anyone help me? Thanks for any insight!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by sunshine-state
I'm looking at this page on Surf & Email 100, which seems to offer 100 MB for 5€, but it claims to be a "Data plan for prepay or kartoprogramma subscribers" so I'm not sure exactly what that is.
Does't it matter? It says prepaid so you're fine. ^

In addition, looking at the option "Without automatic renewal," it shows a charge of 1€ per day after using the 100 MB, but that's what I don't get...how do they charge me?
Really?
Do I have to go in the store and add "credit" to the account?
If you want to use it furthermore I guess so...

Then there's a special offer at the top, claiming "500MB with 5€ for 30 days." I don't know what it means when it says "with 5€"...does that mean I get 500 MB along with an extra 5€ of credit?
No.
Or for another 5€ charge, I get an extra 500 MB?
No again.

Probably a translation mistake.@:-) 5 European bucks gives you 500 MB of data for 30 days...

P.S. This website gives you an overfew about the Greek prepaid wireless market.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jul 28, 2014 at 5:18 am Reason: Removed snark
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Marschel
Does't it matter? It says prepaid so you're fine. ^
I don't know if it it matters. That's why I asked. Just because it says prepay doesn't seem to preclude other requirements - Kartoprogramma seems to be a completely different product, and with the translation errors, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't required to have any other "subscription" as it was worded.

In addition, looking at the option "Without automatic renewal," it shows a charge of 1€ per day after using the 100 MB, but that's what I don't get...how do they charge me?
Really?
Yes, really. This still doesn't answer my question. I'm not familiar with pre-paid plans, so I don't know how this would work.

Then there's a special offer at the top, claiming "500MB with 5€ for 30 days." I don't know what it means when it says "with 5€"...does that mean I get 500 MB along with an extra 5€ of credit?
No.

Or for another 5€ charge, I get an extra 500 MB?
No again.
Clearly the translation was extremely vague, so I'm not sure why it's so it's such an incredulous question.

Probably a translation mistake.@:-) 5 European bucks gives you 500 MB of data for 30 days...
So if I understand correctly, a single 5€ charge will give me 500 MB. Can I add additional credit to the account to be able to make phone calls? I haven't found anywhere on the Surf & Email page that discusses the ability to add credit for phone calls.

P.S. This website gives you an overfew about the Greek prepaid wireless market.
Thank you for this link. What is the difference between Vodafone Prepay and CU? Everything I've read says that CU is a brand geared toward the youth, but doesn't really explain it any further than that. Is CU for Students only?

The Wikia page says that "The connection set for Prepay is 5 EUR, CU is free." I'm assuming that "connection set" means the actual SIM card? If I can get a CU SIM card for free, is there any reason to pay 5€ for a "Prepay" SIM card?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Yes, really. This still doesn't answer my question. I'm not familiar with pre-paid plans, so I don't know how this would work.
They'll charge you from your credit on the account?!
So if I understand correctly, a single 5€ charge will give me 500 MB. Can I add additional credit to the account to be able to make phone calls?
Of course. Like on the page at the end of my last post. You buy some top up cards in varies amounts eg. and add the amount of credit to your account.
I haven't found anywhere on the Surf & Email page that discusses the ability to add credit for phone calls.
It's called 'top up' and is mentioned within the FAQ's on their support page. @:-)

What is the difference between Vodafone Prepay and CU?
One more package (CU Napster). That's it.
Is CU for Students only?
I think it's only to attract young ppl but I can't find anything which says that age is a limited factor.
The Wikia page says that "The connection set for Prepay is 5 EUR, CU is free." I'm assuming that "connection set" means the actual SIM card?
You're assuming right.
If I can get a CU SIM card for free, is there any reason to pay 5€ for a "Prepay" SIM card?
If it comes with 5€ of credit.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:54 pm

If you want "official" clarification...

Vodafone CU Greece has several online contact points including Skype, twitter, facebook
http://www.vodafonecu.gr/en/cu-servi...customer-care/

Vodafone Greece does as well
http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/omada-...uest_locale=en
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:47 am

Is there a decent option that will work both in Mykonos and Germany? I mostly just care about voice and text and figure I'll have buy 2 local SIMs.

This vodafone pre-paid will not work outside of Greece, correct?
http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/client...uest_locale=en

I have a Mobal sim already but the rates are very high and it's mostly a backup. I'll also have a few hours in VIE airport in case I can buy something there. Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:49 am

Can any recent travelers to Greece share what pre-paid plans they used when there in the country? Price and value? How was the connection when you traveled around the country? I assume a big city like Athens will have good connectivity, but what happens when one is is a smaller seaside town? Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Its been a while since I've done a pre-paid SIM card (Jan 2020 I guess), I assume they still have them?

I'll be flying into CHQ (Chania, on Crete, from LHR) later this month. I'll be in Crete for a week, and it might be handy to have a SIM card for data access. Does anyone know if SIM cards are available at that airport? It isn't a major airport, but I imagine a convenience-type store might sell them.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 12:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
To follow-up on my last post...
The phone shops at CHQ were closed on Sunday when I arrived. I managed / survived for a week on just WiFi. There were times when service would have been nice, but it wasn't too bad.

Has anyone done a SIM card from ATH recently?

I found this online:
Buying a Sim Card at Athens Airport in 2023 - Traveltomtom.net

Sounds like it is Vodafone, and a choice of:
* 15g + 200 minutes
* 18g
Both are E22.50 (about US$25)

I'm planning to take the metro straight to Piraeus, and I'm not sure I'll find my Airbnb without a working phone (I still have an iPhone X, my upgraded phone will be waiting for me when I return). My flight arrives around 5pm, so after immigration and getting into town, all of the phone shops there will probably be closed.
My Airbnb host said he can get me one (30g for E10 or E12 for unlimited data), but that would require I know where I'm going...which I do not.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:21 pm

aztimm,

Your phone GPS will work without cellular service, so I suggest downloading maps prior to your arrival so you have some navigational capacity. I like Pocket Earth Pro for a variety of reasons, but on newer iPhone iOS, you can download maps on the Apple Map now also if you use an iPhone. I'm sure Google Maps does the same.
TGarza likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:15 pm

Download Google maps for offline use when cell service isn’t available
der_saeufer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.