Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Me Choose New Earbuds

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'd like to keep the total cost around $60 or less including the headphones, any foam tips, and carrying case
Try Meelec 6, that's my back-up earphone, pretty cheap to toss around while having good sound for the price. If you use iPhone/iPod touch and need the mic/remote, there's M6P-BK for $5 more, the remote is a bit annoying to use though.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ScottC
I'll second the Etymotic recommendation -- you really can't beat them. I've been through most other brands, but short of some of the higher end Ultimate Ears, I keep going back to my Ety's.
Ditto, fantastic set of headphones
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:40 pm

You have to make your own decision, but you should also consider that earbud style headsets are not good for your ears despite the fact that you see so many hipsters wearing them all the time.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by weekilter
You have to make your own decision, but you should also consider that earbud style headsets are not good for your ears despite the fact that you see so many hipsters wearing them all the time.
Huh? How are they any worse than any other kind of headphones?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by ~tc~
Huh? How are they any worse than any other kind of headphones?
They're within a half inch of your eardrum.

Among things to check out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=earbu...ient=firefox-a

Among the articles from above:

http://www.surfnetkids.com/go/safety...and-your-ears/ as well as other links.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:36 am
Suspended

It's all about moderation.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:49 am

So your definitive source is some blogger who runs a website called "surfing the net with kids"?

How about the FIRST link in your google search, a time magazine article where they interviewed an audiologist who says
"I don't want to single out iPods. Any personal listening device out there has the potential to be used in a way that will cause hearing loss. We've conducted studies of a few MP3 players and found very similar results across the MP3 manufacturers. Some in-the-ear earphones are capable of providing higher sound levels than some over-the-ear earphones. That said, studies we've done on behavior show that the type of earphones has almost nothing to do with the level at which people set their headphones. It's all dictated by the level of background noise in their listening environment. When we put people in different listening environments, like flying in an airplane — we used noise we'd recorded while flying on a Boeing 757 commercial flight, and we simulated that environment in our lab — 80% of people listened at levels that would eventually put their hearing at risk. On the subway system here in Boston, the ambient noise levels are very comparable to the level on an airplane, although it sounds very different. The noise is sufficiently high that it induces people to listen to their headphones at excessively loud volume."

In that regard, in ears are SAFER because they isolate the outside sound an allow you to use a lower volume level. As the expert says:
" I would also strongly recommend that people invest in better earphones that block out background noise."

Its about the listening volume and duration, not the style of the headphone or even the proximity to the ear drum.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I'd recommend the Shures if you still deign to buy them. I've had them for about four years so far and love them.

As for loud in-ear music, I listen to my music at about 40% volume most of the time, unless it's pianissimo classical where I have turn up the volume to hear it AT ALL, or a passage I really like that I just want to immerse myself in, so it's definitely the behavior of the user rather than the headphones themselves. And I spend a lot of time on the Boston subway. You might see me on the Green Line B lipsynching.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Not sure about those earpieces but I have Ety HF3s and they are really good at about $100 on Amazon. Those have a microphone for talking as well as a remote control on the wire. They make a version without the microphone that is under $60 I think. I like them a lot. Left my first pair in the seat back of a 777 after arriving at ORD from NRT last year. Immediately ordered another pair. I dont travel without them.
I just gave these to my husband and he loves them. Thanks!

He was using shures but feels these are a bit better and more comfortable.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:48 pm

Got the custom sleeves for my Etymotic HF3 the other day.

First, all-in, they were only $81, not the quoted $100.

I haven't been on a trip yet, but have been wearing them a bit to get some practice putting them in. The noise isolation seems to be about the same or slightly better than the triple flange I was using before. Sound quality is a bit better, the bass seems both better balanced and deeper. Very comfortable, and VERY secure - once they are in, they don't move around or slip out.

Money well spent IMHO
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I've bought the expensive buds before but the ones I am most happy with are a pair of Phillips I picked up at CVS for $9. They have a rubber coating to keep grip and are comfortable with excellent sound.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
After far too much exhaustive research, the helpful advise in this thread and pouring through the hundreds of technical reviews and ratings in head-fi.org, I settled on the Brainwavz M2 model with their included Comply foam tips.

The reviews were stellar, and the price was just right - they should arrive before my next trip and I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Did you consider Yurbuds? They come in different sizes to ensure the best fit for your ear. I have pair myself and am very impressed for use at the gym but I stick to my Bose QC 15 when traveling. http://www.yurbuds.com/
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Did you consider Yurbuds? They come in different sizes to ensure the best fit for your ear. I have pair myself and am very impressed for use at the gym but I stick to my Bose QC 15 when traveling. http://www.yurbuds.com/
These appear to be great for exercising, but the sound quality is hit or miss - so I was focused solely on sound quality as I can mitigate comfort or secure-fit issues with the foam tips.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This is the thread I think you should have posted in. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...earphones.html as there is a lot of interesting discussion on this topic.

I chose Klipsch and Ultimate Ears. I use the Klipsch for daily use as they offer great sound and comfort. And it has the inline Ipod control to skip songs, or change the volume.

But I want to really rock out, Ultimate Ears is the best. Works great with classical music too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.