Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kindle vs. Ipod Touch - Web Browsing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Question Kindle vs. Ipod Touch - Web Browsing

I have been looking at a picking up a gizmo for traveling with. I read a lot so like the concept of the dedicated e-reader plus the $139 price point for the new kindle is pretty darn nice. It also had a lot bigger screen than the Touch.

I also want something I can check my AOL e-mail with while traveling. From what I have read the earlier version of the kindle browser on the V2 isn't that great, but it is functional.

Unfortunately there just are not much in the way of reviews available yet for the V3 Kindle so not much out there about the browser yet.

Which way would you go ipod Touch or Kindle 3. ipad and netbook are not options I am considering.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mcrt
ipad and netbook are not options I am considering.
sorry to say ...

yeah, but you would be much better off with either of those, IMHO.

-David
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
+1. I really see the Kindle as a dedicated e-reader only. Yes, there is a web browser but it is extremely basic and the screen refresh rate is not well suited to web browsing.

As an e-reader it is perfect IMHO, but I would certainly consider a separate device for e-mail, casual browsing, etc. The iPod touch does a good job of this.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:11 am
mlk

I have an ipod Touch and a Kindle.

The Kindle is great, as long as you just want a dedicated e-reader. Web surfing is possible, but not practical. The battery life on the Kindle is a real plus. For trips of less than 1 week, there's no need to charge it at all.

The ipod Touch, on the other hand, is much more versatile. If you want to do anything other than read, the Touch is a good option. Negatives for me: small screen and relatively short battery life.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Replies like yours are why I specifically excluded those. My prefered method of travel is a backpack. Minimum stuff/weight. Both the ipad and netbook are bigger and heavier than I want to add. With open wifi now far more common, even in hostel I just want the convienence of avoiding net cafes and being able to read a few books.

Just for reference an inch thick paperback is 6.5 oz, the kindle is 8.5 oz and uses a mini USB charger, same as my phone. The ipod touch is 4.5 oz but requires a different charger. ipad is about 1.5 lbs and netbooks start at around 2 lbs.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
sorry to say ...

yeah, but you would be much better off with either of those, IMHO.

-David
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about the web browser. I wonder if it will be improved with the new kindle. I plan to hold off on buying until I see some of the reviews about that.

Originally Posted by star_world
+1. I really see the Kindle as a dedicated e-reader only. Yes, there is a web browser but it is extremely basic and the screen refresh rate is not well suited to web browsing.

As an e-reader it is perfect IMHO, but I would certainly consider a separate device for e-mail, casual browsing, etc. The iPod touch does a good job of this.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on the Kindle as an email client is going to leave you quite disappointed.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Replies like yours are why I specifically excluded those. My prefered method of travel is a backpack. Minimum stuff/weight. Both the ipad and netbook are bigger and heavier than I want to add. With open wifi now far more common, even in hostel I just want the convienence of avoiding net cafes and being able to read a few books.

Just for reference an inch thick paperback is 6.5 oz, the kindle is 8.5 oz and uses a mini USB charger, same as my phone. The ipod touch is 4.5 oz but requires a different charger. ipad is about 1.5 lbs and netbooks start at around 2 lbs.
Fine, but the form factors are all more or less the same. If you have room in your backpack for a Kindle, then an iPad or netbook will also fit. If your backpack is that cramped, you're taking too much underwear.

If you want one device to read and surf/check email, the iPad (or possibly one of the forthcoming Android tablets) is your best bet by a long shot.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Fine, but the form factors are all more or less the same. If you have room in your backpack for a Kindle, then an iPad or netbook will also fit. If your backpack is that cramped, you're taking too much underwear.

If you want one device to read and surf/check email, the iPad (or possibly one of the forthcoming Android tablets) is your best bet by a long shot.
I mentioned weight not size. Also the ipad starts at $500 vs $139 for the kindle. For something that goes in a backpack this is a better option. If I go with the ipod touch it can go in a shirt pocket or stuffed in a sock to protect it. The ipad would not fit in a sock.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Look at the old Nokia N810. Used ones are going pretty cheap on ebay. It has a 4.3 inch screen so a good bit bigger than an ipod touch. It doesn't have all the fart apps, but the web browser is very good and it has email, calendar, and media players.

It is pretty much a dead device as far as development, but they are cheap right now and until the tech companies get their acts together and put out an Android tablet the N810 is a good stop gap solution.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mentioned weight not size. Also the ipad starts at $500 vs $139 for the kindle. For something that goes in a backpack this is a better option. If I go with the ipod touch it can go in a shirt pocket or stuffed in a sock to protect it. The ipad would not fit in a sock.
Whether you get an iPad or a Kindle, I would definitely get a case for it.

As far as weight, I've done a fair bit of backcountry backpacking and I agree with the adage that every extra ounce is an ounce of misery...but really for travel backpacking I don't think an extra pound makes much difference. To each his own.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Do you read when you travel? If you do, one kindle is lighter than a book.

If you want tunes and/or video and email on your travels, get an iPod touch.

One light charger will supply both devices.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before investing in the Kindle, make sure it even works with AOL mail. Chances are there is something that'll prevent it from working at all.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by Upstate
Look at the old Nokia N810. Used ones are going pretty cheap on ebay. It has a 4.3 inch screen so a good bit bigger than an ipod touch. It doesn't have all the fart apps, but the web browser is very good and it has email, calendar, and media players.

It is pretty much a dead device as far as development, but they are cheap right now and until the tech companies get their acts together and put out an Android tablet the N810 is a good stop gap solution.
I have one of these and is lying around somewhere collecting dust. While it will definitely be better than a Kindle in terms reading email, if the OP is looking for light and compact size, the iPod Touch is it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have an iPhone which is the same size as the iTouch. I use it for Amazon books and for occassional web. It is really not great for accessing the web--screen is much much too small. It works for me in a pinch.

I use a Sony reader which is smaller than the Kindle. I really like it a lot. Mine doesn't have web access though. It is different than reading on the iPhone--a bit easier on the eyes, but it's not back lit so you can't read in the dark as you can with the iPhone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.