Prepaid SIM - Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think you need to then look at the websites of the various carriers and compare. When comparing, be mindful of the fact that some of the carriers (like Lebara and Heijn) give an automatic bonus of doubling or more than doubling your topup, so you need to take that into account when comparing. For example, Lebara at a minimum doubles all topups (depending on the amount), so the effective rates are at least half of what the website shows.

Data worked fine for me on Lebara, although I had to manually input the APN settings.

If you look at Vodafone, in addition to the a la carte data, they have "Blox", where you pay a certain amount for a block of data.

I haven't done the comparison, but I would suggest comparing Vodafone to the MVNOs - e.g., lebara.nl, lycamobile.nl, ortelmobile.nl, and telecom.ah.nl.
The best place to go for prepaid SIM information is prepaidgsm.net and specifically here.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:11 am

Lebara Customer Service)

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
If you will be using mainly voice (not data), Lebara is a much better deal:

http://lebara.nl/en/index.php
Thank for mentioning and choosing Lebara.

If you have any doubt or query related to our services, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be more than willing to help.

Thanks and regards,
Pooja
(Lebara CS)
[email protected]
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
Buying a Top Up Voucher in NL for a UK Vodafone PAYG

I've got friends coming from the States to Europe. I have got them UK Vodafone Pay As You Go SIMS. After the UK they are heading onto Amsterdam. I remember in the past being able to purchase Vodafone top up vouchers in Europe that you could use to top up. Is that still the case?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping this thread...what's the best course of action for a prepaid iPhone data SIM in the Netherlands?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Bumping this thread...what's the best course of action for a prepaid iPhone data SIM in the Netherlands?
i would like information on this as well since i will be in amsterdam for 5 days next month....

gfunkdave, if you have already completed your trip then i would be very interested to know whether you were able to use the iphone for data in the netherlands....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I was able to use a Vodafone SIM I got in Germany 2 weeks ago while I was in the Netherlands 1 day, in both my unlocked iPhone 3G and an unlocked Android mobile.

The Android automatically configured the correct APN settings for data, but on the iPhone I needed to connect to a WiFi hotspot, and use http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ to generate and install the settings to get data to work.

I would guess that a visit to a local NL Vodafone shop would yield similar results.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:26 am

My husband and I will be visiting Amsterdam for a week, after which DH will spend a week in a rural part of Germany where T-Mobile is the only network with good reception. We would like to purchase a SIM card (no data) that would work well in Amsterdam but also would use the T-Mobile network in Germany.

We have unlocked prepaid Orange France mobile phones so we still have the Orange France SIM cards, but I don't know if those SIM cards can be re-activated. I don't speak French, so orange.fr is hard for me to navigate.

I assume T-Mobile Netherlands uses T-Mobile in Germany...? I've heard that Lebara also uses T-Mobile in Germany.

We'd mostly be using the phones to call each other while in Amsterdam. In Germany, the phone would mostly be used to receive calls.

Can you please advise what would the best option? We might be able to have SIM cards mailed to residential addresses in Germany or NL in advance (and then sent to our hotel), but we'd prefer to purchase the SIM cards in Amsterdam.

thanks
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best option would be to get a Dutch SIM in the Netherlands and a German one in Germany.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The best option would be to get a Dutch SIM in the Netherlands and a German one in Germany.
I'll be in the Netherlands in a few weeks, will be there for 6 days. From reading here, it sounds like the best option is to go to an Albert Heijn supermarket...any better ideas?

Just using an iPhone for data, not really worried about voice (would be nice to have but not a necessity).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was in the Netherlands a year ago, I walked in to a T-mobile store and got a SIM with I believe a gig of data and a bunch of texts/minutes for something like EUR25.

Well, actually, my Dutch friend got it for me. But I was there with him!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was in the Netherlands a year ago, I walked in to a T-mobile store and got a SIM with I believe a gig of data and a bunch of texts/minutes for something like EUR25.

Well, actually, my Dutch friend got it for me. But I was there with him!
Thanks, that sounds easy enough. Did you need to provide an address?

I think it was last year in Frankfurt when I went to (I think) O2, and it was a bit more, I think E40. They needed an address, but the clerk just put his in. I did have to give a copy of my passport though.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks, that sounds easy enough. Did you need to provide an address?

I think it was last year in Frankfurt when I went to (I think) O2, and it was a bit more, I think E40. They needed an address, but the clerk just put his in. I did have to give a copy of my passport though.
I didn't - though my Dutch friend might have told them which hotel I was staying at or given them his address. I don't speak Dutch, so I'm not sure what he said.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
This sounds promising:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/bene...erlands-2.html
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:00 pm

Just a quick update...

We randomly happened to walk by the Apple store here in Amsterdam last Friday (it is just around the corner from the Hard Rock and near a large Starbucks). Popped in and asked one of the workers where she'd suggest we buy SIM cards. Turns out they sell them. It was 10E for a T-Mobile prepaid card, that included 5E of use. We then went to the supermarket (an Albert Heijn), and bought cards to put 20E more on.

The challenge then was navigating the phone prompts (in Dutch) to enter the code. But we figured out how to change the language to English, after that it was easy

From Friday to today so far, I've used about 15E worth of usage (most email, Facebook, maps, some browsing, and a couple texts).
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sounds like you're paying a pretty high data rate then, for 4-5 days of use, to consume 20 15 Euros?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.