Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 iPhone with Prepaid ATT service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

4 iPhone with Prepaid ATT service

Will the new iPhone work with ATT's prepaid service? I know it uses micro-sim but a prepaid sim card can be cut to size to fit properly.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you buy just the SIM from AT&T for their prepaid service? Or do you have to buy the Go Phone and take the SIM out?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Can you buy just the SIM from AT&T for their prepaid service? Or do you have to buy the Go Phone and take the SIM out?
I went to an AT&T store a few months back, looking to port a line from another carrier to GoPhone. They just gave me a SIM card.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Are these 'yes' answers?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The first challenge is getting the phone - you can't buy it without a new or existing contract.

Your best bet is to wait until it's released in Canada - it will be sold unlocked there from the Canadian Apple Store at prices very similar to the replacement cost price from the Apple Store here in the US.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

No disrespect intended but I'm not looking for solutions to your challenges. I'm just asking a very simple question: will a prepay ATT account work on the new iPhone 4?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
No disrespect intended but I'm not looking for solutions to your challenges. I'm just asking a very simple question: will a prepay ATT account work on the new iPhone 4?
at a minimum, you will have to cut the sim, since at&t does not offer prepaid microsims.

it may also require minor tweaks to the phone's configuration.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: United
I've just dealt with this for my wife's iPhone 3G. To get it to work I had to jailbreak the phone and then alter the APN for the data connection to work. Since I don't think there is a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 yet the answer would be 'Not Yet'.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
I've just dealt with this for my wife's iPhone 3G. To get it to work I had to jailbreak the phone and then alter the APN for the data connection to work. Since I don't think there is a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 yet the answer would be 'Not Yet'.
you can use apple's iphone configurator to load custom apns without jailbreaking, and if the sim is a non-native carrier, the apn panel should appear on the phone.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Will the new iPhone work with ATT's prepaid service? I know it uses micro-sim but a prepaid sim card can be cut to size to fit properly.
This is hilarious, maybe it's my bad? I've gotten a lot of replies but haven't seen a simple "YES" or "NO"....

Let me rephrase: for the new iPhone, will voice service work with a prepaid ATT service?

1. I know prepaid sim cards are not micro - that can be solved.
2. I am not interested in data service. Just want to make and receive calls.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
No

(padding to >5 characters)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 8:51 pm

Let me rephrase: for the new iPhone, will voice service work with a prepaid ATT service?
yes, assuming it's either an at&t iphone or an unlocked iphone.
no if it's locked to another carrier. you'd need to wait for an unlock.

Last edited by pdxer; Jun 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:11 pm

The issue isn't a simple yes or no.

Also, this message is the first to provide more details. Just based on your first post, one would believe you are looking for something that supports data.

So to be clear, you are just looking to use an iPhone 4 with a goPhone plan to just make/receive voice calls? Are you interested in using features like VVM?

goPhone SIM cards are the same as regular at&t sim cards. So you should be able to walk into an at&t store and ask for a micro sim, then call up and setup a goPhone plan with it.

As I am guessing you are aware, there are several features that will not function correctly, however it doesn't sound like that is a concern of yours.

This is hilarious, maybe it's my bad? I've gotten a lot of replies but haven't seen a simple "YES" or "NO"....

1. I know prepaid sim cards are not micro - that can be solved.
2. I am not interested in data service. Just want to make and receive calls.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:55 pm

I think it's pretty clear dtsm is interested in plain old voice calls, and knows the limitations.

All I know is that it worked for me when I bought my iphone. Before unlocking it, I tried it with a SIM card from a go phone that I bought at Wal Mart. I don't know if it still works or not.

-David
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think it's pretty clear dtsm is interested in plain old voice calls, and knows the limitations.

All I know is that it worked for me when I bought my iphone. Before unlocking it, I tried it with a SIM card from a go phone that I bought at Wal Mart. I don't know if it still works or not.

-David
LOL, you are the only one to understand both my first and updated question.
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.