Community
Wiki Posts
Search

occasional-use US cell phone ideas please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

occasional-use US cell phone ideas please

I currently visit the US a few times a year and have an old VirginMobile phone and plan. Not perfect, but it's fine. This summer I am traveling to Maine and New Hampshire and Virgin doesn't have coverage in those areas.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting another phone or prepaid plan. Either an inexpensive phone or something unlocked that I could use in Israel as well. But before I do so, is there some way to be assured of coverage in rural New England?

Are there prepaid plans that I should look into? Is bluetooth important in this case?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check if AT&T or Verizon prepaid have service where you need it. Be sure to click Prepaid on the Verizon map.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...phone&opt=payg

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C.../coverage+maps

It's also worth checking T-mobile. The coverage may be a little spottier but they are also cheaper.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/Prepaid.aspx

AT&T and T-mobile are GSM/UMTS while Verizon is CDMA. If you get a Verizon phone, you might be able to use it with Pelephone in Israel. Else, you can get a Verizon world phone, which will do Verizon CDMA in the USA and be a normal GSM phone with SIM card elsewhere. Note that Verizon world phones aren't available with prepaid plans; you'd have to buy the phone separately (like on eBay).

I'm not sure what Bluetooth has to do with anything. If you want a Bluetooth phone, get one.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jun 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I can see one of the major New England highways from my deck where I'm sitting. If I drive a half mile into town from here, there is limited phone coverage, and if I go a couple more miles, there is none at all.

There's no such thing as dependable coverage in many parts of rural New England. It is actually quite nice, not getting your messages until you are driving someplace else.

If you go to the same spots you should check with neighbors to see what works and what doesn't work in those areas.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:10 pm

As it has been noted, prepaid coverage isn't has good as contact coverage.

Depending on where you are going, prepaid may just roally suck.

You should buy a phone on eBay and sign up for a regular plan. Since you won't be getting a subsidized phone, you won't have to sign a two year contract.

If you go with at&t, I have a few extra phone so send me a PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:47 pm
In Memoriam

If you get prepaid from a major carrier, you will have the same coverage as a contract phone with that carrier has.

Verizon does not limit coverage (as an example) based if you are prepaid or not. If a contact phone has coverage, a prepaid one will have coverage standing next to them too.

I've been using prepaid for years, and have never had a coverage problem where somebody else on the same network had coverage and I did not.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I used to have She Who Must Be Obeyed share the minutes on my plan, but She uses the phone so rarely I switched Her to prepaid. I originally was going with AT&T (as I have an iPhone) but their minutes expired after 30 days. So I went with T-Mobile as theirs were good for 90 days and once you've spent a cumulative $100 they are good for a year.

Coverage is fine where She uses the phone (LA and Des Moines) but YMMV.

When I used to travel more frequently to the UK, I had a SIM that I left with a friend there and he would keep it alive by topping it up every 90 days or so. He'd post it to my hotel when I came over and I'd post it back to him when I was done. Cost me the ocasional pint plus the cost of the top ups, plus he could use it if had friends visiting from outside the UK. Win-Win for everybody.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:10 am

The rate isn't great, but EKit's dual IMSI US/UK SIM works on many US providers including TMobile and ATT at better than roaming rates. It also has deals with many regional (and smaller) providers, together with working in Canada. For truly occasional use, it is not a bad deal. The SIM will also work in the Arab Middle East which may prove helpful to an Israeli. Last I heard, most Israelis had coverage issues the moment they hit the Allenby bridge.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
As it has been noted, prepaid coverage isn't has good as contact coverage.

Depending on where you are going, prepaid may just roally suck.
If you are on a major carrier, prepaid or not, you get the exact same coverage. You may have a more junky phone on a prepaid plan which could have some effect, though thats a different problem. However, I have found that the most basic $20 phones are actually some of the best when it comes to things like signal strength or battery life because they are just so basic there is nothing interfering or draining on the battery.

Anyways my recommendation to the OP is to go to a Best Buy or a Target or even 7-11 I think and buy the $20 Tmobile prepaid phone. I think that is the best deal out there. Once you load $100 onto it your minutes will be good for a year so you have go home and come back and still have a phone good to go.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:42 am

This just is not true, go to any major carrier's website and look at their maps.

The prepaid/contact maps are different. In every case the pre-paid map is smaller. My understanding of the reason is that the carriers will let their contract customers roam on other networks, but not their pre-paid customers. Maybe there are other reasons I am unaware of.

As some who has spent time in Maine and New Hampshire which are the only markets the OP need coverage in, T-Mobile would be a huge mistake in all but Portland, Manchester, and a few other 'larger' cities.

He can probably get away with use at&t, however Verizon contact service will by far provide the best service since it will allow him to roam on US Cellular which is also a big carrier in the area. US Cellular is probably another good option. I don't really know much about their plans.

Originally Posted by adambadam
If you are on a major carrier, prepaid or not, you get the exact same coverage. You may have a more junky phone on a prepaid plan which could have some effect, though thats a different problem. However, I have found that the most basic $20 phones are actually some of the best when it comes to things like signal strength or battery life because they are just so basic there is nothing interfering or draining on the battery.

Anyways my recommendation to the OP is to go to a Best Buy or a Target or even 7-11 I think and buy the $20 Tmobile prepaid phone. I think that is the best deal out there. Once you load $100 onto it your minutes will be good for a year so you have go home and come back and still have a phone good to go.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam

It is at a higher rate (20 cents per minute) but Verizon prepaids will roam to any network a verizon contract phone will.

Tmobile prepaids will roam onto other GSM networks at the regular rate when they do not have coverage. They do not charge for roaming onto other networks. They clearly spell that out on their website.

It' makes no sense at all to pay a large monthly fee and commit to years of service when you don't have to.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:32 pm

Hmm, my previous experience traveling with others using prepaid is that it didn't roam. Maybe, they had the feature disabled.

Anyway, I disagree that that the OP will pay large monthly fees. If you supply your own phone for contract plans, you will work of off a 0 month contract.

In fact, with at&t you can buy a prepaid phone and then use it with a contract plan. They were selling them for as little as $9.99. SlickDeals was having a field day over it.

With contract plans with 0 month commitment, when you cancel your bill is prorated. You never have to worry about roaming while in the US. You also get unlimited in-network calling, nights & weekends, ect.

All the carrier coverage maps are smaller for prepaid when comped to contact customers. Why would they have two maps?

Originally Posted by cordelli
It is at a higher rate (20 cents per minute) but Verizon prepaids will roam to any network a verizon contract phone will.

Tmobile prepaids will roam onto other GSM networks at the regular rate when they do not have coverage. They do not charge for roaming onto other networks. They clearly spell that out on their website.

It' makes no sense at all to pay a large monthly fee and commit to years of service when you don't have to.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy

Anyway, I disagree that that the OP will pay large monthly fees. If you supply your own phone for contract plans, you will work of off a 0 month contract.

In fact, with at&t you can buy a prepaid phone and then use it with a contract plan. They were selling them for as little as $9.99. SlickDeals was having a field day over it.

With contract plans with 0 month commitment, when you cancel your bill is prorated. You never have to worry about roaming while in the US. You also get unlimited in-network calling, nights & weekends, ect.
Can you please tell me more about buying a prepaid phone and using it with a contract plan with a 0 month commitment? do i get the contrat at an at&t store, can i do it online, etc.?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam
First, here's an old but excellent thread re prepaid service: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-card-usa.html.

Second, Radio Shack has excellent/wide selection of prepaid phones/sim. You can decide whether to go with TMO, ATT, Vz, Virgin, whoever....not expensive.

A better option, IMHO is to get an unlocked phone (via eBay) and then just buy the sim card and top off cards. Gives you maximum flexibility.....
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by dtsm
Second, Radio Shack has excellent/wide selection of prepaid phones/sim. You can decide whether to go with TMO, ATT, Vz, Virgin, whoever....not expensive.
BestBuy as well.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:18 pm

Sure, go to at&t's website and look at the prepaid phones. When you go to order one, it will automatically include a $20 or $25 prepaid credit. You can remove the credit from the phone so in the end you are buying the phone for $10-$25.

Then just stop in at an at&t store and tell them you already have a phone and just want service. They will set you up on a contract plan. However, since you are not getting a discounted phone when you sign up, there is no contract.

You can find some phones as low as $11, here is a link to one found on slickdeals.net: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/32274

When you are ready to cancel the plan, just call at&t and they will cancel it on the spot and prorate you for the rest of your billing period.

Originally Posted by haniboo
Can you please tell me more about buying a prepaid phone and using it with a contract plan with a 0 month commitment? do i get the contrat at an at&t store, can i do it online, etc.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.