Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Call Home Daily from China Cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Call Home Daily from China Cities?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question Best Way to Call Home Daily from China Cities?

We're only going to be in Shanghai, Beijing and Chengdu, but one of the gentlemen in our party wants to be able to call home daily to California using the most efficient and cost effective way he can find. He'd like to use his cell phone and has heard a lot about Skype service. Can anyone out there advise us as to the best way to make these daily calls without being charged an arm and a leg? Thank you!!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:56 am

He'll probably have to use the hotel internet for Skype. Skype is a voice over internet service that relies on having a good solid internet connection with the host country doesn't block. China periodically blocks Skype and I cannot tell you what their position is this week.

You can buy an unlocked quadband GSM mobile and purchase a prepaid SIM card in China. The rub in China is that it is a regionalized market and that a Beijing SIM will be roaming in Shanghai, etc. The domestic roaming rates aren't awful, but they are real.

Another option is:

http://www.rebelfone.com/china_simcards.aspx?couId=38

They will rent you a contract Chinese SIM card for $1 a day. Incoming calls are $0.15 a minute. Outbound call to the US are $0.50. This approach is no hassle, but not the rock bottom price. If you are on a tour (which it sounds like you might be), it will avoid having to force the time in to get the SIM and get it registered.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I have had problems using skype in china at world class hotels...ymmv my cellphone always works.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
I've never had a problem using Skype in China (based on my 6 or 7 trips over the last 18 months)

Some might say that the hotels' internet connection fees are an arm and a leg though...
(benchmark around 120RMB/day in the top hotels, but shorter periods are available)
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:50 am

There are lots of hotspots to troll - as long as you know they're not secure for normal computer usage. Skype should work fine.

Another option if OP is a TMO subscriber - pick up a cheap UMA phone on eBay. Look for a Samsung t339 - they usually go for about $25-30 bucks. Connect via hotspot to get UMA connection, and call home without incurring international roaming charges (just minutes from your TMO bucket of minutes - and if you're on family plan, not even that).

Third option (compliments of Moondog) is get local SIM card and then use 17951 access code for reduced international roaming:

So from China to US, I dial 17951 + 001 + areacode + number.

17951 will only work on a cell phone. The saving is actually rather significant. Calls from a cell phone to USA/Canada was RMB 8.00/min. With 17951, it's only RMB 2.40/min.

You can use 17951 to make any international call, not just to USA. The pattern is: 17951 + 00 + Country Code + Area Code + Local Number
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
When travelling in China, I always use a VPN (Surf Bouncer). The ‘Great Firewall of China’ generally slows things down, blocks sites and leaves data unprotected. I find with a VPN downloads are generally faster, they are secure for banking, access of Facebook, YouTube, Blogspot etc., and have never had an issue using Skype.

I would also recommend using a headset with Skype instead the laptops built in speakers and microphone. This allows more privacy and better sound quality.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WannaFlyJ
When travelling in China, I always use a VPN (Surf Bouncer).
Totally agree. I use witopia.com whenever I'm on wifi, home and away! ^^^^^
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
with a US skype account, all calls to the US are treated as domestic calls, regardless of where the person making it is physically located. Great way to make extremely cheap calls.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Skype is the way to go, get the montly plan for 2.95$ a month. Get a VPN setup on a pc, or iphone or windows mobile device, I use hotspotvpn, only 8$ a month, one license gets you PC AND MOBILE VPN license. Works great,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.