Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid Blackberry connection in the US

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Prepaid Blackberry connection in the US

Hi all
I'm arriving in JFK on 4th July from India and will be in the US for three weeks. I am a Blackberry user. As international roaming is frightfully expensive, I plan to buy a prepaid sim in the US which will give me phone+BB data. What are the options, and can I buy it near Penn station? What papers will I need to show?
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I just couldn't find it in search.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dilip
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
The only really viable pre-paid Blackberry in the US is through Boost Mobile, and its service isn't all that great ... but it is more cost effective than international roaming.

The closest place to Penn Station that will sell you a Boost Blackberry is the Radio Shack at 356 7Th Ave New York, NY 10001 (30th & 7th).

You don't need to show any papers...they'll take a credit card, debit card, cash ... doesn't matter. Its all pay & go.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:39 am

If you are planning to use your current blackberry with the prepaid card then it wont work unless you deactive you device on you current network.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Tired of looking for prepaid BB options I have eventually bought HTC Legend. Does all the the email bit instead of BBM i use gtalk & msn. Plus it allows me to wirelessly tether to my laptop.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Yes, you have to go to your BB account, deregister your phone from there, and then re-register on your new account. I agree it's a pain.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:14 am

BB BIS web page doesnt have an option to deactivate. You have to call up you carrier. BES is a completely different issue all together. Plus adding all you buddies to BBM again etc is a big pain. Even the rental companies in US charge $ 50/week to $150/month. Thats just ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.