Search

Need some international sim card help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Need some international sim card help!

Hey all,

I'm off to the Caribbean in about 3 weeks and while i'm there i will need to be in fairly regular phone contact with the UK.

Seeing as all call costs are coming out my pocket i don't want to rock up with my iphone on 02 and come back to a bill that is on par with the GDP of a small country.

I'm off to St Marteen for 12 days and as such am hoping that someone can reccomend me a pre pay simcard that i can pop in another handset that will hopefully offer me cheap rates to either make or receive calls from a UK number.

I've looked at Lemara and another UK company and they are great for calling overseas when your in the UK but are expensive to receive and make calls when abroad.

Can anyone tell me of another company or a local one that i can buy that will offer me a good price on my calls.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:28 am

It will not be easy getting an international sim card to use from the Caribbean cheaply. United Mobile, when they were around, did offer good rates from St. Martin. Check the cards below and see which one suits you. There is also another company called paytooMobile (used to be yackie Mobile), you may want to check them out.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html

EDIT: I just checked and maxroam, it list 0.06 to receive and 0.50 euro to call UK for St. Marteen (Netherland Antilles) So, not cheap at all.

Last edited by mrcamp; Jun 8, 2010 at 4:40 am
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by chris78cpr
Hey all,

I'm off to the Caribbean in about 3 weeks and while i'm there i will need to be in fairly regular phone contact with the UK.

Seeing as all call costs are coming out my pocket i don't want to rock up with my iphone on 02 and come back to a bill that is on par with the GDP of a small country.

I'm off to St Marteen for 12 days and as such am hoping that someone can reccomend me a pre pay simcard that i can pop in another handset that will hopefully offer me cheap rates to either make or receive calls from a UK number.

I've looked at Lemara and another UK company and they are great for calling overseas when your in the UK but are expensive to receive and make calls when abroad.

Can anyone tell me of another company or a local one that i can buy that will offer me a good price on my calls.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Are you going to Sint Maarten (part of the Dutch Antilles) or Saint-Martin (which is French)?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:48 pm

For the question OP asked, this should probably not matter. I know they have different country codes, but the cost of using a mobile there will likely be the same on both islands. The international sim that I have used do not differentiate between them

Originally Posted by weekilter
Are you going to Sint Maarten (part of the Dutch Antilles) or Saint-Martin (which is French)?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mrcamp
For the question OP asked, this should probably not matter. I know they have different country codes, but the cost of using a mobile there will likely be the same on both islands. The international sim that I have used do not differentiate between them
In the international card section over at prepaidgsm.net, there has been some discussions about recent coverage problems with maxroam. The principal of maxroam has weighed in on the subjection and it is worth a gander.

Mrsimcard.com has a nice selection of Carribean SIM cards that you should check out as well.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:58 am

Caribbean, St Lucia

I will be staying in a condo in St. Lucia without internet.

I have an unlocked Android and a ipad2 and want to buy
some kind of data service.

So far the options I have seen are voice and text only.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:04 pm

Have you investigated getting a local sim from Digicel (or whoever the local carrier is) or so and then adding a data plan.

Originally Posted by bukzin
I will be staying in a condo in St. Lucia without internet.

I have an unlocked Android and a ipad2 and want to buy
some kind of data service.

So far the options I have seen are voice and text only.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
don't forget to take a cantenna!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
don't forget to take a cantenna!

You mean like two Dixie cups and some string!?!

But that does remind me, I will take my WiFi booster
(Alfa model # AWUSO36NH) to pull in distant signals.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:16 am

Mrsimcard.com has a lime SIM for St Lucia on its website that looks interesting. It also has free inter-Carribean roaming to many countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.