Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada mobile broadband pay as you go?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Canada mobile broadband pay as you go?

Don't know if this should go in the Tech or Canada forum. I'm going to post it here and I guess if I don't get much response I'll ask the Canada forum later.

OK, so I'm in Canada for a few weeks in the summer. I want to be able to get access my emails, internet through my N1.

Basically is there a mobile broadband pay as you go service for Canada? I'll be in Calgary and Vancouver. I understand there are only two GSM networks in Canada: Rogers (which I think includes Fido) and the new Wind network.

Do either of these providers offer a pay as you go data service and if so, for how much? Or could you kind people point me in the right direction. I've tried searching around the interweb, but for some reason can't find a clear answer.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Wind is a new entrant to the Canadian market. I believe they only serve the major cities for the moment. I have no idea what their coverage is like overall.

You are correct that Fido is owned by Rogers. Fido started off as a smaller company focused on the major Canadian cities but was bought up by Rogers which keeps it around for marketing purposes. Not much reason to buy a Fido device as you're just on the Rogers network anyway.

Bell has also launched a new GSM (HSPA) network. They will claim that it's a national network but it isn't. Coverage in Alberta and BC is pretty good.

The Rogers Pay as You Go plans are listed here: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...products/plans

I think with Rogers you have to start with at least $20 on your plan but you can add more if required.

Bell also has pay as you go but calls them "Prepaid Plans". The webpage is here:
http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWls_PrepaidPlans.page

I don't know for sure, but as Rogers has a minimum of $20 it's a fair bet that the Bell minimum is also $20.

On the whole, Canada lags the rest of the world in cellular technology. We have 3G networks and all that, but our pricing plans are way out of line with everyone else. Be prepared for massive sticker shock when you see our rates.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Even if my two weeks of costs comes out to $100, that will be much cheaper than getting whacked for roaming costs at $1,000!!

According to the Wind website, they are available in Calgary and Metro Vancouver, which will be perfect for me.

The costs seem to suggest I have to pay $10 for a sim card and then the cheapest voice tariff is $15 a month with a data add on at $20 for 500mb or $35 unlimited.

Obviously these prices are listed as per month, but according to the Wind website there are no contract periods, so I could just pay for one month (I think).
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:26 am

Windo is a good deal as long as you have a 1700mhz 3g handset.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Windo is a good deal as long as you have a 1700mhz 3g handset.
Cool cool. My N1 is a T-Mobile version one, so it supports 1700 mhz.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:04 am
aly

Originally Posted by theworld
Thanks for the info. Even if my two weeks of costs comes out to $100, that will be much cheaper than getting whacked for roaming costs at $1,000!!

According to the Wind website, they are available in Calgary and Metro Vancouver, which will be perfect for me.

The costs seem to suggest I have to pay $10 for a sim card and then the cheapest voice tariff is $15 a month with a data add on at $20 for 500mb or $35 unlimited.

Obviously these prices are listed as per month, but according to the Wind website there are no contract periods, so I could just pay for one month (I think).
Wind also allows for tethering; and has a USB modem for sale too if needed!

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.