Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can you watch a Slingbox via a game console?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to view a slingbox on a TV away from home using a game console such as a Wii? As best I can tell the Wii browser is not supported by the online Slingbox viewer and neither is the PS3 browser per what I could find via Google. There does not appear to be a Slingplayer for Wii (or any other game console) and I haven't found any references for Playon.tv or Orb about hooking up a Slingbox.

Would you need to find a, now discontinued, Slingcatcher at an exorbitant price to do this?
Old May 22, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No game consoles support it. You will indeed need a sling catcher, BUT I have seen them at BestBuy for under $100 though given the prices on Ebay right now, I suspect the cheap ones have all been snatched up...

Build a cheap PC perhaps? For about $150 you can get an Atom powered machine and try it on that?
Old May 24, 2010, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I don't think I'm going to be able to get a Sling Catcher for anywhere near $100 nowadays given what they're going for on Amazon or Ebay. I think this will mean a new life for one of old laptops I've got lying around. Now I just have to figure out how to get the audio into the speaker system.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Rumor control has a new Apple TV in the works which will run on iPhone OS4 and sell for $99. Since there is already a Slingplayer iPhone app for $30, then that should be a cheaper alternative to the now $400+ Slingcatchers.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
wow, untill now I had NO IDEA how much the slingcatchers were going for (now that they are pretty much discontinued) I will have to sell the 3 or 4 extras I have!

That said, I THINK there was some way of hacking the playon software for the ps3 to enable it to play the slingstream either via a semi http interface or from a pc on the same LAN as the ps3. I know it isn't on the actual console itself, but there was a workaround. If you have a laptop, you can always connect it to the TV directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.