Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2degrees SIM Card New Zealand - Good option

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 5:19 am
Original Poster

2degrees SIM Card New Zealand - Good option

Thought people might find this info useful.

If you want a local SIM card while you're in NZ, you can get a 2degrees SIM for $5 (comes with $1 credit).
This is much cheaper than from Vodafone (I think they charge $30)

You can buy them at petrol stations, supermarkets etc

Their calling and txting rates are generally lower than other companies without buying a package

22c/min calling to 22 overseas countries (if have topped up in last 30 days) and 9c txting

No affiliation to the company. All prices are NZD

One disadvantage of 2degrees is you're not able to receive Twitter updates but with Vodafone and Telecom can receive these free.

Last edited by QFCHC; May 13, 2010 at 5:47 pm
Old May 14, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
They are a good option but I'll add two important side notes:

1. Their interconnects with overseas telcos is not the broadest, so you may find 2-way SMS does not work. This link has more detail.
2. Their data pricing is very expensive right now (50c/mByte), and at the moment they only offer 2G EDGE services. 3G is not too far away (inbound roamers can already use it).
Old May 15, 2010, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ajnz
1. Their interconnects with overseas telcos is not the broadest, so you may find 2-way SMS does not work. This link has more detail.
At least they are honest about it ^

When did that happen in the mobile phone industry? (says he who is having an interesting dialogue with Orange at the moment).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
apparently now you can get a free SIM card upon arrival into Auckland (AKL)

you get a 2Degree SIM card free of charge which you can top up online or convenience stores throughout the city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.