Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid USA data -- T-Mobile kinda works

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Prepaid USA data -- T-Mobile kinda works

So I went to SF a few weeks ago, picked up a T-Mobile prepaid SIM switched to the Sidekick plan and I must note that this still works. Port 80 is blocked. Bring your own SOCKS proxy (trivial to set up if you have any place to SSH into) or VPN.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Tmobile now has prepaid data (not sidekick) for $1 per hour.

I think you're much better off using AT&T for prepaid data.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:18 pm
roo

Programs: BD Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Tmobile now has prepaid data (not sidekick) for $1 per hour.

I think you're much better off using AT&T for prepaid data.
+1
I use a GoPhone sim in my iPhone when I visit the US with no problems. I even tethered my Macbook to it, when I was on the train.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by roo
+1
I use a GoPhone sim in my iPhone when I visit the US with no problems. I even tethered my Macbook to it, when I was on the train.
sorry to revive this old thread....can you just buy the sim or do you have to get the phone as well????
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Dirt
The SIM by itself is $10 at a corporate retail location or $7 ordered online. Dealers may not carry the SIM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by msb0b
The SIM by itself is $10 at a corporate retail location or $7 ordered online. Dealers may not carry the SIM.
i guess online is the way to go....
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For my occasional need, my laptop has a Gobbi card that supports AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. I have found that the easiest (and much better speed and coverage) is Verizon - particularly when one can usually pick up a "Verizon Refill Card" on Craigslist for half-price.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

came across this yesterday....i think the $70 monthly plan works perfectly for me....
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
As http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...om-laptop.html linked this yesterday be warned: Sidekick has been discontinued! There's a $1.5 per day plan now but after a couple megabytes it's just 2G speeds.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
There's a $1.5 per day plan now but after a couple megabytes it's just 2G speeds.
it starts to throttle after 30 megabytes.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
T Mobile Again or ATT for Data?

Dear All,

Followed FT's advise I've got the T-Mobile PAYG with $100 credit (Gold Reward) last time I visited US and intent to keep it $10/year afterward. I used it with the T-mobile bundled phone.

However, now I need Data which may come either using with my iPhone (unlocked) or iPad2.

Any news that T-mobile PAYG card can enable Data connection? (In this case I will use iPhone for both Data and Voice).

If no, should I get a T-Mobile "webConnect" SIM with Data pass, or easiler/cheaper to get the ATT GoPhone with PAYG voice plan and add-on Data plan?

I cannot see SIM only purchase for ATT website...

P.S. for those 30-day expire term, is that for the plan only or the SIM too? (i.e. I don't mind to recharge/pay for the plan/credit everytime I visit US but getting new SIM everytime is very trouble...)

Any comments welcome! Thanks!

HK-UMICH
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by HK-UMICH
Any news that T-mobile PAYG card can enable Data connection? (In this case I will use iPhone for both Data and Voice).
t-mobile paygo data is $1.49/day for 'unlimited', which throttles down to 2g speeds after 30 meg. since the iphone lacks t-mobile's aws 3g frequencies, you can only get 2g speeds so the throttling is not really an issue.

launch a browser and try to visit any web site and it should redirect to t-mobile where you can buy the day pass. sometimes this does not work and you need to manually go to your account page directly. it's 24 hours from when you buy it.
I cannot see SIM only purchase for ATT website...

P.S. for those 30-day expire term, is that for the plan only or the SIM too? (i.e. I don't mind to recharge/pay for the plan/credit everytime I visit US but getting new SIM everytime is very trouble...)
you should be able to get an at&t sim at any at&t store but they may want you to load it with funds at the same time. after the funds expire (which is anywhere from 30 days to a year), you have 60 days to replenish it or the entire account is cancelled, the sim is dead and the phone number is released. i assume t-mobile is similar.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
That's great help! In this case I will use my own tmobile card with iphone myself and get an ATT card upon arrival for my traveling partner!

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: Dirt
T-Mobile and Walmart are slated to launch a no-contract $30 per month Data and Text plan on Oct 16.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wal...ing-2011-10-03
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by msb0b
T-Mobile and Walmart are slated to launch a no-contract $30 per month Data and Text plan on Oct 16.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wal...ing-2011-10-03
TMo will also be launching a daily PAYG data plan. $3/day for 200MB.

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/10/t-mob...nthly4g-plans/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.