Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for Unlocked Phone and Prepaid US SIM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Recommendation for Unlocked Phone and Prepaid US SIM

Ok, I admit this isn't one for travel. I'm set there.

My grandmother is 85 years old and has always resisted a cell phone. I'm going to get her one. But I don't want anything fancy, she'll push back against one with a contract even if I'm the one that pays it, and she'll probably never use the phone in any case.

So I just want to give her a simple phone that's high quality and stick in a prepaid SIM that I load up with some cash (and ideally could recharge online -- she lives near PBI, me DCA).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:24 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
The basic Samsung SGH 'phones - especially the flips - have a good (backlit!) keypad, long battery life, and most importantly-

As you enter each number, it shows on the screen in very large type. So if you have a 7 digit number, it will take up nearly 7/9s (3 rows of 3) of the screen, with only the operator logo, signal and battery strength indicators at the very top, and 2 function button descriptors at the bottom.

Some of the Nokia flips have nice legible screens as well.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why Jitterbug was invented.

It isn't prepaid, but at $14.99/monthy it is the cheapest option out there for people who hate mobile phones. Plus, $149.99 is for 50 minute/month, and a similar prepaid option on T-Mobile would cost around $100/year, so it isn't that much more. Plus, the phones are designed for old people, they have great customer care.

Alternatively, get a T-Mobile prepaid phone (starting around $25) and top it off once a year with a $100 card - that makes it "gold", which means the 1000 minutes don't expire for a full year.

A third option is to convert your own plan to a family plan, and add her as a new line.

I'd recommend staying away from online recharging and stuff like that - it'll only make it more complicated.

None of the T-Mobile prepaid phones are very "elder friendly', so you could always get a SIM and buy a better phone off Ebay.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:55 am

I'd recommend tmobile prepaid as well. You only need to top it of with $100 once to achieve gold rewards and it does not expire for a year. Any additional topup (even the $10) extends it for another year. So, for a low volume user, it's just $100 the first year, and $10/year afterwards.

Originally Posted by ScottC
This is why Jitterbug was invented.

Alternatively, get a T-Mobile prepaid phone (starting around $25) and top it off once a year with a $100 card - that makes it "gold", which means the 1000 minutes don't expire for a full year.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The problem if she won't be using it is eventually the minutes will expire going conventional prepaid. That makes Jitterbug a good alternative, since it brings the cost very close to what a conventional prepaid will be (and includes 50 minutes a month).

If you are an AAA member, you can also do a $10 a month plan (zero minutes) and 25 cents a minute if you really expect no use at all. Then you never have to worry about things expiring, the number changing, etc. Free phones too. AAA uses consumer cellular at http://www.consumercellular.com and they also offer a couple of senior friendly phones in the $30 and $40 price range.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:06 am
Yub

T-Mobile prepaid has worked out well for some of our family members. One of the phones is into the fourth year. The phone came with starter minutes, but I immediately did a $100 refill to get to Gold Rewards, then a $10 refill each year since. For 4 years, $130 works out to less than $3/month. The phone still has a balance of over 700 minutes.

For renewal, I have a reminder in my calendar set for a couple of weeks before the minutes expire. I am usually able to find a refill special from Callingmart for 10-12% off. The refill can be done entirely online without needing to have the phone in hand.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You get to keep gold without the $100 each year? That's cool, I did not know that.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
The $100/year to top up T-mobile is probably the best deal out there. Compared to Jitterbug at $15/month I think it is a no brainer.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...g-t139-Prepaid

Something like that even comes with the first $25 of minutes on Tmobile right now.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Have you seen Doro Mobiles they cater for the older aged end of the market, big buttoned (including dedicated speed dial buttons) easy to use phones. They are normally sold sim free (in the UK anyway) so you could then add your own plan/payg to suit.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 1, 2010 at 4:22 am
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gary - saw this thread on FW that may be of interest - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/979161/
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:20 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by cordelli
The problem if she won't be using it is eventually the minutes will expire going conventional prepaid. That makes Jitterbug a good alternative, since it brings the cost very close to what a conventional prepaid will be (and includes 50 minutes a month).
Jitterbug at $15/month is $180/year, with 50 minutes per month (so maximum 600 minutes).

T-Mobile prepaid is $100 for 1000 minutes the first year; this gives you Gold Rewards, so subsequent yearly $10 refills preserve the minutes balance another year each time.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
And theregister.co.uk have done a group test of OAP phones so you might find that useful.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Originally Posted by tjl
Jitterbug at $15/month is $180/year, with 50 minutes per month (so maximum 600 minutes).

T-Mobile prepaid is $100 for 1000 minutes the first year; this gives you Gold Rewards, so subsequent yearly $10 refills preserve the minutes balance another year each time.
If the $10 paid just before the expiry of 1st year only to maintain your gold status and add 35mins... or it will "carry on" the original 1000 mins being credited at the beginning of 1st year?

The issue is I am visiting US maybe 4-5 times a year and it is good to have a phone instead of looking for pay phone or paying $2/call in hotel...I am thinking if I should do $100 at the beginning or pay $10 every 3 months...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by HK-UMICH
If the $10 paid just before the expiry of 1st year only to maintain your gold status and add 35mins... or it will "carry on" the original 1000 mins being credited at the beginning of 1st year?
For complete details visit their prepaid website. Here's the short version:

1. If you purchase $100, it's good 1 yr and gold status.
2. If you top off before expiration date, unused minutes [actually dollar value] is kept active.

But here's the big caveat:

1. when you top off in $100 increments, the per minute cost continues at $0.10
2. if you top off at $75 or $50 increments, it's goes up to about $0.11/minute
3. if you top off at $10 increments, it's JUMPS $0.28/minute

And yes, by adding less rather than more, any unused dollars/minutes are converted to the higher calling plan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.