Wiki Posts
Search

Short-term SIM for the US - 2010 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Short-term SIM for the US - 2010 edition

I've turned up a few threads here on related subjects but there doesn't seem to be any good current info, so let's see if the experts can help!

My last roaming bill for a trip to the US was nearly 1000€. Not gonna do that again. I'm going to be there next week, starting in LAX and ending up in PHX. I need to get a SIM card that will give me a US number, and a big bucket of data. Cheap international calls would be a plus, as would the ability to top it up online and keep it valid for the next trip. I have a friend in LA who can pick up the card ahead of time and give me the data so I can activate and top up online before I leave so it's ready when I land.

From my research, there seem to be a couple of options:

- Get a prepaid SIM from a T-Mobile store and then activate it online. There was a thread here a while back about adding the Sidekick unlimited data tarriff for your iPhone, but this loophole seems to have been closed (though they are still selling that tarriff and I won't be using an iPhone) - http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/...a-000007a2ac12

- Get a prepaid GoPhone SIM from an AT&T store and then activate it online - http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...nect-plans.jsp

What I'm not clear on is how I get data on either of these (n.b. my phone has 3G on the 1700 band, not 850/1900) so T-Mobile is probably a better match but data speed isn't a critical issue this trip).

I've looked at the Mr SimCard site and a few others, but they all seem to be reselling one of the above.

Anyone have a recommendation?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I am hardly an expert here, but you might consider de-coupling the two and get a Cricket broadband plan for a month (which might even be free, since the first month is touted as free). There is no contract.

http://www.mycricket.com/broadband?u...paign=hero0043

I would also probably look on eBay or CL for someone selling an AT&T gophone sim that has money/time left on it. I've done that a couple of times and been able to get bargains. Was especially nice back when you could use the loophole to get unlimited broadband for $19.95/month.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottom line is this - there are no good prepaid data options in the US (at least none that use a sim). I'm assuming you want to pop the sim in a Nexus One?

Cricket, Virgin and Verizon prepaid data all use CDMA, so no sims there.

AT&T has prepaid data, but it'll cost a fortune, and comes in 100MB bundles

Yes -the sidekick loophole is indeed closed. What you can look into is T-Mobile Flexpay - this is a hybrid prepay/postpay account with no contract. I think you get a preset spending limit, and as long as your monthly bill stays under this, you are good to go.

Sadly, the T-Mobile site sucks at providing information, so I can't find anything specific on Flexpay options. I think the system may even allow ANY T-Mobile plan to be sold as a flexpay monthly plan - which includes their data only plans.

There are also voice/data options sold as T-Mobile Complete: http://www.t-mobile.com/templates/ge...ro_TMOComplete
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, guys. I called T-Mobile and they said for the Flexpay I still have to take a credit test and sign some kind of contract, it's just not got a monthly commitment. I think I'll pass. Mr. Simcard is offering a few packages that look promising but their site is such a mess I can't figure out what's what. I'll have to call them I guess.

Scott - it's an X10.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
Thanks for the info, guys. I called T-Mobile and they said for the Flexpay I still have to take a credit test and sign some kind of contract, it's just not got a monthly commitment. I think I'll pass. Mr. Simcard is offering a few packages that look promising but their site is such a mess I can't figure out what's what. I'll have to call them I guess.

Scott - it's an X10.
As usual, T-Mobile is wrong. Credit check on Flexpay is only necessary on a contract based Flexpay account (I think they call it Flexpay annual) - not their month to month. The way Flexpay works is simple - you add money to your Flexaccount (max $500) and you can pick any plan or services you want.

For "normal" users, Flexpay month to month isn't nice because it doesn't offer any phone discounts.

Try calling them back for more information or a correct answer...

That Mr.Simcard site looks horrible - and i'm guessing they are actually just issuing Flexpay sims as well, cause they don't look serious enough to be a VMNO...

Here is another T-Mo MVNO with no contract data:

http://www.datajack.com/

You should be able to use their SIM assuming you can dig up the data APN they are using for their dongles.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 3:20 am

I've turned up a few threads here on related subjects but there doesn't seem to be any good current info, so let's see if the experts can help!

My last roaming bill for a trip to the US was nearly 1000€. Not gonna do that again. I'm going to be there next week, starting in LAX and ending up in PHX. I need to get a SIM card that will give me a US number, and a big bucket of data. Cheap international calls would be a plus, as would the ability to top it up online and keep it valid for the next trip. I have a friend in LA who can pick up the card ahead of time and give me the data so I can activate and top up online before I leave so it's ready when I land.

From my research, there seem to be a couple of options:

- Get a prepaid SIM from a T-Mobile store and then activate it online. There was a thread here a while back about adding the Sidekick unlimited data tarriff for your iPhone, but this loophole seems to have been closed (though they are still selling that tarriff and I won't be using an iPhone) - http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/...a-000007a2ac12

- Get a prepaid GoPhone SIM from an AT&T store and then activate it online - http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...nect-plans.jsp

What I'm not clear on is how I get data on either of these (n.b. my phone has 3G on the 1700 band, not 850/1900) so T-Mobile is probably a better match but data speed isn't a critical issue this trip).

I've looked at the Mr SimCard site and a few others, but they all seem to be reselling one of the above.

Anyone have a recommendation?

You might want to check THIS out. It does not work on GSM network though.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by moonquake
You might want to check THIS out. It does not work on GSM network though.
Straight Talk phones are also sold at Walmart and run on Verizon's CDMA network. It is possible to tether but its against the terms of service.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I thought I would update everyone on the solution I wound up with.

I finally ordered a card from Mr. Simcard. I got a T-Mobile SIM with 500 minutes of talk time, unlimited texting (including international) and unlimited data (subject to whatever TOS T-Mobile has) for $59. It's good for a month from the date I activate, which is tomorrow. They shipped it to my hotel in LAX so all I have to do is pop it in and I'm good to go.

Their web site is an absolute disaster, and the checkout-and-pay process is many times worse than the browse-and-shop process. This includes going over to a different domain to pay, having to use PayPal, and then receiving an email after checkout demanding that I pay again with PayPal using the link provided.

I called them and have to say they were friendly, knew the answers to all my questions, and confirmed shipment and delivery dates no problem.

My search through the web for a solution to this problem led me to many places full of (mostly business) travelers gnashing their teeth over just this situation. This makes me think there may be an opportunity here. ^

Thanks for all the replies!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:17 am

I thought I would update everyone on the solution I wound up with.

I finally ordered a card from Mr. Simcard. I got a T-Mobile SIM with 500 minutes of talk time, unlimited texting (including international) and unlimited data (subject to whatever TOS T-Mobile has) for $59. It's good for a month from the date I activate, which is tomorrow. They shipped it to my hotel in LAX so all I have to do is pop it in and I'm good to go.
Come back and tell us how things went - maybe we can start a sticky then
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You bought a T-Mobile SIM through a 3rd-party instead of directly from T-Mo itself? Do their stores not know how to set you up?

Do you only need to set the APN for the network?

How much are the AT&T prepaid 100 MB bundles?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
You bought a T-Mobile SIM through a 3rd-party instead of directly from T-Mo itself? Do their stores not know how to set you up?

Do you only need to set the APN for the network?

How much are the AT&T prepaid 100 MB bundles?
1) There are no prepaid data options on T-Mobile
2) Most phones have APN's settings stored in their configuration
3) $20/100MB
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

and 4) it was shipped to my hotel so I don't have to dick with finding a T-Mobile store and convincing whatever minimum-wage idiot is holding up the counter there that I can indeed buy whatever this thing is.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and 4) it was shipped to my hotel so I don't have to dick with finding a T-Mobile store and convincing whatever minimum-wage idiot is holding up the counter there that I can indeed buy whatever this thing is.
Well, in their defense - I don't think anyone at T-mobile knows what this is, because it certainly isn't a standard product. I wonder if Mr.Sim uses Flexpay and just resells that? Unless they are large enough to be their own MVNO...
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Another way to go is to get a Verizon unlocked phone and activate on PagePlusCellular.com. You get free activation + 50 minutes, reload at $10 for 100 minutes, minutes last 120 days, roll over with refill. Activation takes 20 minutes or so after entering info on the website. Not really good for data, however.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Another way to go is to get a Verizon unlocked phone and activate on PagePlusCellular.com. You get free activation + 50 minutes, reload at $10 for 100 minutes, minutes last 120 days, roll over with refill. Activation takes 20 minutes or so after entering info on the website. Not really good for data, however.
Or for someone who is looking for a sim card for their unlocked GSM phone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.