Search

Free Truphone "Local Anywhere" SIM card w/5 pound credit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool Free Truphone "Local Anywhere" SIM card w/5 pound credit

Free Truphone "Local Anywhere" SIM card with 5 pound sterling/ $7.50US credit from this site:

http://www.truphone.com/local-anywhere/freesim/

Use the offer code: z7un88

You can also try these offer codes, though they may be expired: ezy482 F23T5J

NOTE: It looks like this offer ends on March 19, 2010, so get your emails in !
Also, it took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive, so don't count on it for a trip sooner than that.

This will give you a local number in many places throughout the world, but with quite reasonable rates in the UK and USA. The credit is good for about 50 minutes calling in the US, you can check other countries. Nice for quickly switching SIM card into your unlocked GSM phone.

Truphone Local Anywhere works on nearly all unlocked mobile phones (an unlocked mobile phone allows you to switch between SIMs of different network operators).
If you are not sure whether your phone is unlocked, borrow a SIM from a friend who is on a different mobile network, insert it into your phone, and see if it works. If it works, that means your phone is unlocked and will be fine to use a Truphone Local Anywhere SIM.

Nice for transiting travelers, or those who want a relatively low cost local number in a number of countries.

Good Luck!

Doc

Last edited by Doc Savage; Mar 16, 2010 at 8:14 pm
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice one - thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I figured all FT'ers would've been aware of this. I ordered my free SIM card about three weeks ago.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I figured all FT'ers would've been aware of this. I ordered my free SIM card about three weeks ago.
I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it.... Can't hurt to have it up again, anyway....!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I figured all FT'ers would've been aware of this.
Some are.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-anywhere.html

It really is difficult to see what advantages Truphone offers as there are so many better value alternatives.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it....
For once, Search referenced the existing thread, using the magic code 'Truphone'.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
thank you Doc Savage ^. just ordered mine using "z7un88" and already rec'd the confirmation e-mail
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
Some are.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-anywhere.html

It really is difficult to see what advantages Truphone offers as there are so many better value alternatives.For once, Search referenced the existing thread, using the magic code 'Truphone'.
If you took time to even momentarily look at the thread to which you are referring, you might be able to discern (assuming English is your first language) that it is NOT about the special FREE SIM card, it is, rather discussion of paid Truphone, etc. 50 minutes of FREE airtime and a FREE SIM and US phone number may be all that some travelers need.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Leaving aside the tone of your post, as a native English speaker I find your 66-word sentence difficult to understand. Should there be a full stop or period somewhere?

If you're saying that some people want a 'free' SIM card with some credit, IMO they should read the other thread because it describes some of the factors they should consider. These include expiry of credit and number if not recharged, details of the expensive calling rates and receiving rates (depending on territory) and poor customer service. The 'free' SIM wouldn't last very long without topping up.

FWIW, I got two 'free' SIMS about a month ago. The clunky website did not show the information I needed, so I had to find this out from their customer service people. In spite of the £5 credit on each, I haven't activated them. There are far better offers around. Some of them have even been discussed in FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roger
Leaving aside the tone of your post, as a native English speaker I find your 66-word sentence difficult to understand. Should there be a full stop or period somewhere?

If you're saying that some people want a 'free' SIM card with some credit, IMO they should read the other thread because it describes some of the factors they should consider. These include expiry of credit and number if not recharged, details of the expensive calling rates and receiving rates (depending on territory) and poor customer service. The 'free' SIM wouldn't last very long without topping up.

FWIW, I got two 'free' SIMS about a month ago. The clunky website did not show the information I needed, so I had to find this out from their customer service people. In spite of the £5 credit on each, I haven't activated them. There are far better offers around. Some of them have even been discussed in FlyerTalk.
I had no trouble understanding your twenty-nine word long sentence at the beginning of your post, which not only used correct tenses with proper punctuation, but also did not split infinitives. More importantly, unlike the one you referred to, it actually conveyed some information. This is quite unlike the one you referred to.
I too ordered two SIMs. Not sure if or how long I will be able to keep them alive.

Last edited by Yaatri; Mar 18, 2010 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:15 am

Looks like the link is now dead...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
anyone receive theirs yet?

from my email dated march 17th....

Thank you for ordering your free Truphone Local Anywhere SIM Card.

For UK deliveries, please allow 5 working days for delivery.

For EU deliveries, please allow 7 working days for delivery.

For deliveries to the rest of the world, please allow 10 working days for delivery.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It took close to a month to get mine.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:53 pm
Suspended

I never got mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.