Wiki Posts
Search

Noise-cancelling headphones?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:58 pm
dlc3172

Noise-cancelling headphones?

Hi-

Does anyone know of noise-cancelling headphones, similar to the Bose Quiet Comfort, that AREN'T succeptible to electronic interference from cellphones and blackberries? I've had the Bose, and the Jabra too, and both get the annoying interference. This isn't really a problem in a plane, because nobody uses their cellphones, but I also commute daily by train, and the electronic interference is a real pain. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I assume you mean the "do doot da dooot dat da dooot data doooot" sound that you can get just before you get a call or text, or other times your phone is talking to the network. The only time I really notice it is if my phone is within a foot or so of a speaker - be it PC, desk phone, radio, ..... It only happens with GSM phones.

It might not be the headphones, but whatever you are listening to that is picking up the interference. What is your sound source? I use blackerberry as an MP3 player with Sennheiser earbuds and never get that noise, but if my blackberry is sitting next to a speaker or a radio I will hear it. Seems to only be a foot or so radius that will cause it.

If you use a GSM phone, it might be your own device causing it. Try relocating your phone away from your MP3 player and the headphone wires. If it is others, only sit by people who use Sprint and Verizon.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, CO, UA
Don't know specifically about electronic interference, but gave my wife a pair of the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (about half the price of Bose QC3) and she loves them. Planes, not trains.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tev9999
Try relocating your phone away from your MP3 player and the headphone wires. If it is others, only sit by people who use Sprint and Verizon.
...or upgrade to an AT&T 3G phone and don't travel anywhere rural where they're still only on GSM/EDGE.

(At least keep your phone and MP3 player in opposite pockets...)

If it is indeed the headphones and you're looking to replace them, I'll take this opportunity to recommend sound-isolating earphones instead of noise-cancelling headphones. Their passive electronics would be much more resistant to such interference than the active noise-cancelling electronics in a Bose QC.

I recently posted some details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post12715837
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:14 pm

I've used Etymotics ER4P headphones (passive in-ear noise-isolating headphones, as opposed to the active noise-cancelling ones like the Bose). I've never had a problem with interference with my Etys. I use an iPod Nano as my source. It's hard to know whether the interference you are hearing is from your source or from the headphones.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:20 pm
dlc3172

Thanks for the responses

Thanks to everyone who responded.

The interference is definitely coming from the headphones, not from the music source, because I occassionally hear it even when the headphones aren't plugged into my MP3 player.

Note that these are ACTIVE noice-cancelling headphones, and the problem only occurs when I flick the switch to turn on the noice-cancellation feature. If I leave the active noice-cancelling off (i.e., passive only) then there is no interference. So, it's defininitely coming through the microphone of the headphones.

As far as replacing the active headphones with passive headphones, I'm afraid that won't work. I need all the help I can get, and the active noise-cancelling is needed. Plus, you can hardly hear your music on a train or plane if you have passive only, unless you blast the music, and I'd like to save my hearing for old age.

Also, I seem to get the interference coming from all directions, so it's not my own phone. I have to believe that it gets picked up from relatively far away, because it's so frequent. It can't just be the guy next to me all the time!

I'm hoping somebody else has had this problem and has found a solution. The commute would be a lot more pleasant if I could block out some ambient noise, listen to some music, and not be bothered with the "do doot doot doot" noise that one of you mentioned earlier!

Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlc3172
Note that these are ACTIVE noice-cancelling headphones, and the problem only occurs when I flick the switch to turn on the noice-cancellation feature. If I leave the active noice-cancelling off (i.e., passive only) then there is no interference. So, it's defininitely coming through the microphone of the headphones.
Are you sure? With the Bose, when the switch is off, you hear nothing at all (the headphones are completely off). You sure that's not what's happening?

As far as replacing the active headphones with passive headphones, I'm afraid that won't work. I need all the help I can get, and the active noise-cancelling is needed. Plus, you can hardly hear your music on a train or plane if you have passive only, unless you blast the music, and I'd like to save my hearing for old age.
I disagree. Sound-isolating in-ear earphones provide FAR better noise isolation that even the best noise-canceling headphones. They're like sticking earplugs in your ears. You literally hear nothing--not even people talking to you, even when you pause the music.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:20 am

As far as replacing the active headphones with passive headphones, I'm afraid that won't work. I need all the help I can get, and the active noise-cancelling is needed.
I think you've got it backwards. The passive in-ear headphones are more effective than the active noise-cancelling headsets at blocking external noise, in my experience.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:21 am

Yes, noise isolating are much better, but these are also not the $1 pairs that come with your MP-3 player. I highly recommend the Sennheiser CX300. You can get them for about $15 online. I paid about $75 when they first came out, and they are worth every penny. They come with three different sizes of silicone tips. You have to figure out which is the best fit and isolation for your ears.

You can also get custom made ear canal headphones - quite expensive though.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:43 pm
dlc3172

Originally Posted by jackal
Are you sure? With the Bose, when the switch is off, you hear nothing at all (the headphones are completely off). You sure that's not what's happening?
I'm using the Jabra's now. With Jabra, you can turn off the noise-cancellation feature and still listen to music. That's one of the things you can't do with Bose. By the way, Jabra is better than Bose, and about $300 cheaper. The Bose headphones I had were defective and the headband broke and then then wanted to give me a repalcement for $100. I'll never buy a Bose product again. Way overpriced anyway.

I disagree. Sound-isolating in-ear earphones provide FAR better noise isolation that even the best noise-canceling headphones. They're like sticking earplugs in your ears. You literally hear nothing--not even people talking to you, even when you pause the music.
Well, I've never tried them, but I was just assuming that the best noise reduction came from ACTIVE headphones. However, does it feel like having earplugs in your ears? If it does, I'm not interested. I hate that feeling.

Last edited by dlc3172; Oct 29, 2009 at 5:45 pm Reason: beacause

Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I've never tried them, but I was just assuming that the best noise reduction came from ACTIVE headphones. However, does it feel like having earplugs in your ears? If it does, I'm not interested. I hate that feeling.
Depends on the brand and the kind of sleeve you use.

The most comfortable ones I've found are from Westone--you couldn't even feel them in your ears even after several hours. Shures have (IMHO) MUCH better sound quality but aren't quite as comfortable. Fortunately, the Westone soft foam sleeves I have fit on my Shure SE530s, so it's the perfect fit.

I think these are what I have:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/cocatiforum2.html
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:20 am

They do take some getting used to, but after awhile you don't even notice them. It took me half way across the Atlantic to figure out which size fit best. It seems with the silicone ones, they soften with body heat and better conform to your ear canal. It is not like wearing foam earplugs, imo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.