Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attempted frame-up at LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Attempted frame-up at LAX

This week, I was the victim of an attempted frame-up by the TSA. Here's my story; I present it as a warning. I suppose the only take-home message is that one should insist on an independent witness, such as a police officer in my case, during TSA searches. Thing is, I don't know how independent most police officers are likely to be.

This week, I went through LAX, and refused to go through the radiation scanner. I went through a manual search instead. During this process, I was patted down. During the pat down process, the screener announced what he was doing: I'm putting my hand in your collar I'm going to move my hand side to side ... etc. After the pat down process, the screener who patted me down grabbed a test strip that had nothing to do with me, and was sitting on top of the test strip reader, apparently before I'd gotten to the pat down area. I will designate that as test strip A. He continued with his description of what he was doing, though by this time he was talking to his supervisor. I handled the test strip that was on the machine before I put his [referring to me] strip in the machine. The supervisor, who had apparently not expected this apparent rookie to continue his self-descriptive monologue during an obviously inappropriate part of the testing procedure told the screener to get on with the test. The screener then swabbed the same gloves with which he had:

(1) patted me down and
(2) handled test strip A

with an apparently fresh test strip, which I will designate test strip B. The screener then put test strip B in the reader. The reader then reported explosives.

I pointed out to both the supervisor and the screener than this was invalid test, since the screener (knowingly, since he'd described to his supervisor what he'd done) had contaminated his gloves with test strip A before handling test strip B. Upon hearing me point this out, the screener then picked up test strip A, which he had previously placed on top of the reader after handling it (apparently to be ready for the next person) and threw it out.

By this time, the police had been called. I explained what had happened to the officer, and asked officer him to investigate. I pointed out that there were cameras everywhere in this area, including two camera emplacements almost immediately above the reader. The police officer apparently called whoever was monitoring those cameras, and told me that those cameras were not working, and had not captured any of these events. I asked for an investigation, and the Officer told me that I could take it up with the TSA.

I was then told by the TSA personnel that I would have to undergo further screening away from the public. I did not refuse, but pointed out that I did not want to go to some back room for some unknown purpose, especially based on a knowingly adulterated chemical test. The police officer offered to accompany me as a witness, and I eventually went to a closed room, where I was again patted down. This time, in the presence of the police officer, I was again patted down, with largely the same procedure. This time, however, with the police officer watching, the new test read negative for explosives. I shudder to think what the second screening, in an isolated area, would have found if the police officer had not been present.

I pointed out again that I wanted an investigation, and stated that the test strip A was sitting on top of the garbage container where the first screener had thrown it. Having apparently heard that the video cameras covering the first test area were nonfunctional, the first screener (the one who had rubbed his gloves with a test strip from the top of the test machine) piped up at this point, and stated that he had thrown away nothing except his gloves.

There was a TSA supervisor there at this point, and I advised that supervisor that the screener had lied about this process, and asked the supervisor point blank how to formally request an investigation into this event. The supervisor told me that I could call the TSA 800 number.

I then went on to my flight.

There's a warning here to everyone who flies. The TSA is apparently in the process of mastering throw down evidence, though they don't seem to be particularly good at it yet. Beware, and ask for a police officer or independent witness when you are searched by the TSA.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Hi, there, Jubal... welcome to FT! That must have been a horribly stressful and unnecessary experience, and I am sorry that you had to endure it, although I don't think any of us are surprised to hear about it.

This sounds like a great story to submit to your local news media, the ACLU, and EPIC. You should also submit a complaint to the TSA and to the DHS OIG. I listed some contact information for you below. Also, please be sure to tell your representatives. Don't be afraid to make some noise!

Out of curiosity, did they take down any of your personal information during the search?

ACLU - https://secure.aclu.org/site/SPageNa...avel_Complaint
EPIC - http://epic.org/contactus.html
TSA - https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/tsacontact/...aspx?FormID=10
DHS OIG - http://www.dhs.gov/xoig/about/gc_1163703329805.shtm, [email protected]

Last edited by eturowski; May 5, 2011 at 8:41 am Reason: added email address for OIG
Old May 5, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

@eturowski

They copied info from my driver's license and boarding pass; before I was done, I specifically heard the supervisor ask the TSA agents "did we get all his information?" Further, I know they have a medical file on me, because the supervisor told me about medications I was taking, which a TSA agent had apparently recorded on a previous search. In the past, they took down my passport information (I did not have my passport with me on this trip).

I have contacted my representative, but not the TSA / DHS directly. I believe that the representative will open a file on this. I filed my story with the ACLU. As for news media: my guess is that they are probably not interested without video, and, as described above, I have been advised that all the video cameras over the area were out of order during this event.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gov't, Choice Gold
May I ask why you told them what medications you were on during the previous search? As far as I know, that is something that TSA has no need to know.

Just curious.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:29 am
Suspended

Why call it an attempted frame-up?

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity - and Ghu knows the TSA's got a surplus of stupidium at hand at every checkpoint.

If the screener had completed a basic science class instead of going for the GED, they might have at least some understanding of the scientific method, including why it should be a requirement to use clean gloves and a fresh swab for every test.

However, there appears to be a severe shortage of people in the TSA who can find their own gluteal cleft with both hands and a flashlight.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:55 am
Original Poster

@kmanus:

I never told them about medications I was on. They had found my medications during a previous search, in their bottles from the pharmacy, with the prescription labels (and all the identifying info that is on a prescription label) attached. Apparently they made notes of that find during that previous search.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, none of the meds I am on is nitroglycerine, or anything that is chemically related to explosives.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:58 am
Original Poster

@Caradoc:

It might have been incompetence ... until the screener lied and stated that there had been no other test strip, and his supervisor backed him up. I't's not just that they knowingly (and, I believe, intentionally) performed a test on an adulterated sample; it's that they lied about it. The fact that all the cameras over this area failed at the same time also suggests more than incompetence.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
So a test strip from somewhere else was positive for explosives, yet they did nothing to determine where it came from?

No wonder the Red Team failure rates are off the charts.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
It sounds like you need to file a Freedom of Information request to the TSA to see what they have on file about you, especially since they have on record your medications, which I feel is a violation of your privacy.

I heard that filing a FOI request against the TSA is almost impossible, but I believe it can be done.

You probably have to do some research, but I believe there is a law that they have to give you a disclosure notice of some kind as to what they are going to do with your the personal information.

But of course we all know the TSA does not have to follow any laws, they are free to do anything they want to do, and if you dont believe me, just ask them.

Mr. Elliott
Old May 5, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Regarding the test strip, I am not the least bit surprised. I always have to remind the clerks to grab a fresh swab from the container, not one from the top of the ETD machine. I do get some attitude when I ask for a new swab, but they always comply with the request. Not sure why it's so hard for them to use common-sense. Oh, right
Old May 5, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by jubal harshaw
@kmanus:

I never told them about medications I was on. They had found my medications during a previous search, in their bottles from the pharmacy, with the prescription labels (and all the identifying info that is on a prescription label) attached. Apparently they made notes of that find during that previous search.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, none of the meds I am on is nitroglycerine, or anything that is chemically related to explosives.
So are you saying the TSA searched you on a previous trip (different day), took notes about you, saved them, and managed to recall them at a future date?
Old May 5, 2011, 11:27 am
Suspended

@Caradoc:

It might have been incompetence ... until the screener lied and stated that there had been no other test strip, and his supervisor backed him up. I't's not just that they knowingly (and, I believe, intentionally) performed a test on an adulterated sample; it's that they lied about it. The fact that all the cameras over this area failed at the same time also suggests more than incompetence.
Ah. You call that a frame-up - I call that the typical response of the TSA, being to blame anyone nearby for the problem rather than accepting responsibility for their own screw-ups.

It's pretty normal for TSA employees who want the world to believe that they put their lives on the line every time they check a bag while doing absolutely no real work in the process.

TSA's management makes up stupid policies.

TSA employees carry out the stupid policies and procedures.

When someone points out just how stupid the TSA is, we get the whole "REMEMBER 9/11!" chant and asked "DO YOU WANT TO FLY TODAY?"

The entire organization needs to be scrapped.

Last edited by essxjay; May 7, 2011 at 1:41 am Reason: inflammatory
Old May 5, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
The fact that all the cameras over this area failed at the same time also suggests more than incompetence.
Yes, it suggests collusion...sorry I read it incorrectly the first time -

Last edited by FetePerfection; May 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm
Old May 5, 2011, 12:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, please keep the blatant political comments out of this and other threads.
We've had to delete several such comments.
Thanks to the 99% of you who stay on topic here.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old May 5, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Frame-up? No, just a badly bungled screening.

And they certainly will lie to cover their butts. However, most of those that do aren't clever enough to keep a story straight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.