Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage theft?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC 50K E, A3 Gold, CX Gold
Originally Posted by IslandBased
A few weeks ago I had to FedEx a package to a rural town based client who has no guaranteed morning delivery and was headed to a show early the next the morning. I the package to a FedEx shipping center on her route with a "hold for customer pickup", and she was able to pick it up, and proceed to her show.
+1,

i like the service from FedEx for my luggage when i'm a bit overwhelmed with too much bags
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
I also keep a photocopy of my license, passport and credit cards (front and back) in my laptop bag. If I lose my wallet along the trip I will have the info necessary to cancel the credit cards and get through security on the way home.
Will ID Checkers accept photocopies of our ID/Licence?
Even if you wallets are lost/stolen-because...how do we really-prove-it-was-lost-and-all-that-jazz?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by mahohmei
I have kind of a twofold question...

Assuming my upcoming trip from TLH to MHT is NoS-free, it looks like smurfs' fingers are getting quite sticky, even at the checkpoint. I will most likely put baggage locks on my backpack, and before arriving at the checkpoint, put my watch, keys, and wallet in my backpack. I've put them in my (size 12) shoes before, but after reading a bit of this forum and the news, I no longer feel comfortable doing that, even with a $70 Casio watch. Am I rightly paranoid here that a smurf might see me stick a fancy-looking watch into my shoe and decide to stall me at the WTMD while he helps himself?

I am fully aware that if I get selected for the NoS, I will be taking Greyhound from Tallahassee to Manchester (and/or back). I've used Greyhound before, but only with carry-on baggage. Would anyone out there know if there is a true risk of checked baggage being stolen from under a Greyhound bus while it's stopped at intermediate stations?

I am not trying to finger-point "stereotypical" Greyhound passengers, nor do I want any replies here telling me "of course it'll happen, look at who uses Greyhound". I'm looking for honest replies from people who have firsthand (or secondhand) experience with this. I'm not looking for fourth-hand "friend's brother's roommate" experiences. :-)

Thanks!
I don't think MHT has the NoS yet so you should be fine on your way back. Though, TSA at MHT can be obnoxious at times.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Baggage lock w/no slot for a TSA key:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ohs_product_T2

(I know this wouldn't provide much protection, but it'd fit through those small holes in the zipper pull of a carryon.)

Don't forget your Kensington lock, to lock your laptop to your bag if you're carrying one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K64...1537584&sr=8-2
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
If you want physical safety consider using Pacsafe products. Slash proof for the not too determined crook, works as a good preventative measure. pacsafe.com

Also, check out The FISH's ideas on baggage theft deterrent. I have followed his lead as all of my bags have a fair amount of florescent tape and reflective tape on them. It's embarrassing for the first few flights but you get used to it. I imagine it's what our pets think when we put the "cone of shame" on them. I don't know how many thief are ballsy enough to try to steal a near glowing suitcase when they have hundreds of other basic black and red bags with no markings that will blend in well when they walk away.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...nited-quicker/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.