Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Showing our thermos cup leads to hand swab and then to full patdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing our thermos cup leads to hand swab and then to full patdown

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Thumbs down Showing our thermos cup leads to hand swab and then to full patdown

We just passed through SEA security. We're on our way to a cruise so brought along a couple of insulated coffee mugs for various beverages. Mrs. Fredd placed them separately in the tray to avoid any hassles, obviously a mistake.

The TSA then swabbed both the cups and Mrs. Fredd's hands. That's apparently SOP. The cups were deemed okay but Mrs. Fredd's hands tested positive (must be that Doubletree soap).

We didn't see any of the new scanners in operation but in any event they told her she would need a full patdown. They suggested it could be in a private room and that I could come along, but we both elected to have it done in public.

It wasn't as bad as the worst we've heard about but it's still not a great way to start your day at 5:30 a.m. It also took several minutes before two female screeners could be summoned, one to feel and the other to watch. The screeners were probably more uncomfortable doing it out in public than we were. We'd definitely recommend that to others, as has been mentioned here regularly.

Happy New Year...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Fredd
We just passed through SEA security. We're on our way to a cruise so brought along a couple of insulated coffee mugs for various beverages. Mrs. Fredd placed them separately in the tray to avoid any hassles, obviously a mistake.

The TSA then swabbed both the cups and Mrs. Fredd's hands. That's apparently SOP. The cups were deemed okay but Mrs. Fredd's hands tested positive (must be that Doubletree soap).

We didn't see any of the new scanners in operation but in any event they told her she would need a full patdown. They suggested it could be in a private room and that I could come along, but we both elected to have it done in public.

It wasn't as bad as the worst we've heard about but it's still not a great way to start your day at 5:30 a.m. It also took several minutes before two female screeners could be summoned, one to feel and the other to watch. The screeners were probably more uncomfortable doing it out in public than we were. We'd definitely recommend that to others, as has been mentioned here regularly.

Happy New Year...
Regarding the swab of the dangerous cups and then your hands.....

Did the TSO use a fresh swab for your hands after swabbing the cups? If no, I'll bet that was the problem and where I always get a shoe swab (and sometimes a hand swab as well) and have had a false positive, I follow the advice given to me here on F/t by one of our resident TSO's ^ and ask for a fresh (i.e. new out of the tin can) swab for each one of my shoes and both my hands as I don't want to run the risk of any cross contamination. Plus, I always visit the head prior to entering security and wash my hands with warm water. No soap, just warm water.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie

Did the TSO use a fresh swab for your hands after swabbing the cups?
Yes. The swab was a fresh one (thanks, fellow taxpayers) and Mrs. Fredd seriously hadn't used anything on her hands but Doubletree soap - no hand lotion.

As to washing hands (in water only) before going through security, that's good advice, although we've formerly found it prudent to wash our hands after undergoing security. Before and after from now on? Nothing like this to bring out my obsessive / compulsive behavior.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Did you notice what Mrs. Fredd's hand tested positive for? Sorry you had to deal with this crap
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Did you notice what Mrs. Fredd's hand tested positive for? Sorry you had to deal with this crap
Thanks for the kind words. ^ Fortunately Mrs. Fredd is pretty tough and the screeners more nervous than she. We don't think they know why she tested positive. They said it might be her hand cream (which she hasn't used in weeks), maybe her makeup (which she'd deliberately avoided for that reason, along with our 4:00 a.m. getting up time), and that it "happens all the time."

No complaints about the TSA staff at SEA. They were uniformly pleasant and apologetic. The two females seemed taken aback by our joint request to have the search done in public, and we're appreciative of FTers for helping to shape our views on that - better in the open than in some little alcove.

It's certainly an interesting SOP for anybody carrying two insulated cups and we won't bother bringing them back with us.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:28 pm

What happens if you leave the mugs inside your bag? SOP apply?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by g-didi
You have between 70-100% chance prohibited items won't be seen.

Fredd, sorry to hear of the ordeal. Thirst is no excuse for sexual molestation at an airport.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
so annoying, Fredd. i'm sure you and the mrs gave as good as you got, though, and you were totally right to get the pat-down in public. ^

mr kk recently tested (falsely) positive after a swab as well, and i'd forgotten to tell him to get a new swab...will rectify that for our next flight.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by g-didi
You run the risk of a bag search being called to have them tested.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
When I read the title and OP, the first thought was "carrying an insulated mug is probable cause to get a pat down?!".
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagdon
When I read the title and OP, the first thought was "carrying an insulated mug is probable cause to get a pat down?!".
What is this "probable cause" of which you speak?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Explosive Starbucks Mugs causing intrusive pat-down in SAV.
A Savannah woman said TSA workers went overboard when she passed through security with a Starbucks coffee thermos.
http://www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=13766028

What's next?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by goalie

Did the TSO use a fresh swab for your hands after swabbing the cups? If no, I'll bet that was the problem and where I always get a shoe swab (and sometimes a hand swab as well) and have had a false positive, I follow the advice given to me here on F/t by one of our resident TSO's ^ and ask for a fresh (i.e. new out of the tin can) swab for each one of my shoes and both my hands as I don't want to run the risk of any cross contamination. Plus, I always visit the head prior to entering security and wash my hands with warm water. No soap, just warm water.
A lot of people on here say to use intelllegence gathering. So the intellegence says that the insulated liquid carrying devices are a possible exploit. Now they are complaining about it? Its a no win.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eyecue
A lot of people on here say to use intelllegence gathering. So the intellegence says that the insulated liquid carrying devices are a possible exploit. Now they are complaining about it? Its a no win.
We don't believe there's any such intelligence, because your agency has zero credibility. Perhaps if your agency didn't have such a track record of hysterical, bed-wetting overreactions you'd get a different response.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Munch
We don't believe there's any such intelligence, because your agency has zero credibility. Perhaps if your agency didn't have such a track record of hysterical, bed-wetting overreactions you'd get a different response.
Well that and there's no sense in sticking your hands in someon's pants for any reason, even if it is because they dared be thirsty.

And to the point that a thermos in the bag triggers a bag check? It apparently also includes a gratuitous sexual molestation, because rubbing people's genitalia is an appropriate and reasonable response to likely invented "intelligence". That is, of course, if you happen to be one of the 30% of People w/ Thermos unlucky enough to actually get caught.

Remember - 70-100% of prohibited items are actually missed by screeners.

One grope at a time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.