Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA demands cancer-survivor FA remove prosthetic breast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1P

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13534628

In early August Bossie was walking through security when she says she was asked to go through the new full body-scanners at Concourse "D" at Charlotte Douglas International.

She reluctantly agreed. As a 3-year breast cancer survivor she says she didn't want the added radiation through her body. But, Bossi says she did agree.

"The T.S.A. Agent told me to put my I.D. on my back," she said. "When I got out of there she said because my I.D. was on my back, I had to go to a personal screening area."

She says two female Charlotte T.S.A. agents took her to a private room and began what she calls an aggressive pat down. She says they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast… the one where she'd had surgery.

"She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that'."

Cathy was asked to show her prosthetic breast, removing it from her bra.
Incident occurred in August but was the result of a full body scan alarm.

TSA is "investigating;" in other words, they will do nothing, not apologize, give a commendation to the screeners involved in the incident, and give evasive statements to the press.

Even if this behavior is not SOP, it is inevitable that this would occur, and inevitable that there will be more incidents.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow - just wow. Words fail me.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by studentff

TSA is "investigating;" in other words, they will do nothing, not apologize, give a commendation to the screeners involved in the incident, and give evasive statements to the press.

Even if this behavior is not SOP, it is inevitable that this would occur, and inevitable that there will be more incidents.
And inevitable that there will be no repercussions.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Hearts and minds TSA. That's how you get the support to help you do your job..............
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: CO/DL

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Being mentioned right now on WWJ (950 AM - Detroit) right now.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Do the Susan Komen people know about this? They're pretty good at mobilizing opinion/participation.

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Folks, I saw this on the local news last night & it made me sick to the stomach. What kind of excuse can these sick people use for this stuff We've GOT to get it stopped.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
She was behind closed doors with no witness. We're going to hear a very different version of events from TSA (if we hear anything at all, other than "we've investigated and our agents followed SOP, we have to protect the public, abundance of caution, yada yada...."

Just another 'love pat'. All in a day's work.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:20 am

I am a two-times cancer survivor. (Neither was breast cancer.)

However, this so disgusts me that I've drawn the final line. I absolutely will not fly again as long as this sort of behavior by screening clerks is not only allowable, but defended by their management. I will be notifying the airlines I might possibly have used when flying is unavoidable.

I still have both boobs, so the issue isn't a specific concern for me. Nevertheless, I stand for my sisters.

~~ Irish
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chollie
Just another 'love pat'. All in a day's work.
Somebody send this to that idiot Senator Claire McCaskill. It's sickening. And as long as TSA tolerates rogue officers forcing passengers to do whatever comes into their half-bright heads, there will be no relief from this sort of abuse.

I am no advocate of assault tactics, but I would love Sen. McCaskill to be on the receiving end of this kind of thing and see if she still thinks it's a "love pat."

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm really sorry for the victim - but for us, these reports are good news. The more of these examples that make their way to the front page of the national media, the faster and stronger the force will be that finally undoes this tyranny and destroys the TSA.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:28 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz

(quotation from article) In early August Bossie was walking through security when she says she was asked to go through the new full body-scanners at Concourse "D" at Charlotte Douglas International.

She reluctantly agreed. As a 3-year breast cancer survivor she says she didn't want the added radiation through her body. But, Bossi says she did agree.

"The T.S.A. Agent told me to put my I.D. on my back," she said. "When I got out of there she said because my I.D. was on my back, I had to go to a personal screening area."

She says two female Charlotte T.S.A. agents took her to a private room and began what she calls an aggressive pat down. She says they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast… the one where she'd had surgery.

"She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that'."

Cathy was asked to show her prosthetic breast, removing it from her bra. (end quotation from article)

!!!!!!!!!!

edited to report that the ad at the top of the page is for: Free Mastectomy Catalog
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Terrible, disgusting, and

So much for clerks showing some compassion
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
A T.S.A. representative says agents aren't supposed to remove any prosthetics, but are allowed to ask to see and touch any passenger's prosthetic.

Says who?

The government. Oh, that makes it okay then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.