Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

A passenger arrested/added to no-fly list on UA 694 yesterday.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH

A guy, arrested on a flight from ORD to LGA last night, for his rude?(you judge) behavior & not abiding -the famous- FAA regulation.
How An iPad Got A Guy Placed On The No-Fly List

It's typical MR.1A behavior, except he was seating in the coach(Too bad).

how do i know its UA? the article says 20:30STD, and 1.5hr delay. only flight falls in that time frame.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Assuming the facts of the story as reported are true, the guy is a you-know-what and got what he deserved.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
As atrocious as the guy's behavior is, I seriously doubt this will land him on the no-fly list.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by exerda
I seriously doubt this will land him on the no-fly list.
I don't. Airlines like to make examples of people. Just remember that it's UA's no-fly list, not the TSA's list.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
shouldn't this be in TS&S?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The guy was clearly a jerk plus, but putting him on the No Fly list? UA was certainly in its rights to refuse to transport him in the future, but using the government No Fly list in this fashion is completely unacceptable (and probably unconstitutional).
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Can they really add this DYKWIA-hole to the no-fly list for this? Maybe UA could ban him, but the TSA no fly list??!!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't. Airlines like to make examples of people. Just remember that it's UA's no-fly list, not the TSA's list.
Can a common carrier do that, though? Ban someone from their FFP, sure. But ban them from flying them in the future?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
The guy was clearly a jerk plus, but putting him on the No Fly list? UA was certainly in its rights to refuse to transport him in the future, but using the government No Fly list in this fashion is completely unacceptable (and probably unconstitutional).
I'm quite sure the FA meant the UA no-fly list, they can and do keep track of people that have had "incidents" and can bar them from flying UA. I'm also quite sure that UA or any airline can't call up DHS and add someone to the DHS no-fly list.

Originally Posted by exerda
Can a common carrier do that, though? Ban someone from their FFP, sure. But ban them from flying them in the future?
yes, its in their CoC as well.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
You're probably right. I'd imagine it's just a ban on UA, if there is in fact a ban at all.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Unfortunately for him I know airlines share this no-fly list, at least across airline alliances.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Exactly. While UA can prohibit him from flying on their airline, no one can ban someone from flying altogether because of bad behavior without due process, meaning a hearing.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by as219
Assuming the facts of the story as reported are true, the guy is a you-know-what and got what he deserved.
And we all know the definition of assume
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Exactly. While UA can prohibit him from flying on their airline, no one can ban someone from flying altogether because of bad behavior without due process, meaning a hearing.
Airlines can refuse a ticket sale to passengers with prior history the same way a landlord can refuse a rental to a tenant or any business refusing to do business with unreasonable/problem customers.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
+1, just as Gerrard Finnernan never made a UA flight again, he still managed to fly on other airlines.

Also, what basis does the author have that the person really is on the Federal No Fly List? Is that made public.... I can't seem to find it online (some sites claiming it is, but there is nothing "official".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.