Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How many laws would I be breaking if someone fly in my place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many laws would I be breaking if someone fly in my place?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum
Question How many laws would I be breaking if someone fly in my place?

Hello FTers,

Speaking hypothetically here:
- We know that you can fly domestically without ID (I've done it)
- In order to accrue EQM mileage, you need to fly
- People do mileage runs to reach the next level
- For some people, the time is harder to come by than the money for the mileage run

What if you had someone fly using your name, not show an ID, and they racked up a mileage run or two for you?

How many laws would be broken? Has anyone attempted this?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Mr_BKK
Hello FTers,

- For some people, the time is harder to come by than the money for the mileage run

What if you had someone fly using your name, not show an ID, and they racked up a mileage run or two for you?

Thanks.
A few details?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
I've thought about variations on this, getting through security with perhaps a very inexpensive ticket, then boarding a longer flight under another name. Not sure how you'd get through security w/o a valid BP and ID tho? Could you check in for a ticket booked w miles, go through security, then if it was booked w my miles as a 1K, cancel the ticket, get the miles back and board w another BP under another name?

Seems like too much trouble, but someday when I get desperate for EQM, who knows!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pkerr
A few details?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...d-tsa-sfo.html

From - http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane."

Interesting, I did not know this was possible either, but looked it up when I saw the post.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hello FTers,

Thanks.
I'd say not worth attempting.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... How many laws would be broken? ...
IMNAL but this seems to be a classic case of fraud.
Extremely doubtful you would be criminally prosecuted but UA (by MP rules) could void your account

During the examination by TSA of the person without out proper id, that person is likely to show stress signs that could lead to TSA involving a LEO, and then you got serious issues.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:20 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Easy to do, bad to get into doing. Have you read the stories about the one with Thai farmers doing MRs?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
First, I am not your attorney. This is not legal advice.

I think the concern would be violating the airline's policy (and possibly mileage program rules), not breaking the law. There are plenty of legitimate ways to get past the TSA that don't involve fraud. Requesting a gate pass, getting a pass to the club and buying a refundable ticket and cancelling after you get through are all perfectly legitimate options that come to mind.

Beyond that point, if you had checked in and sent the boarding pass to the person who will be traveling in your stead (maybe you email them the PDF), then they can use that at the gate to get on the plane. You get the credit. They get the travel.

I tend to remember someone here hired 20 rural farmers to fly a constant international circuit for a period of time when they found a very good fare. I think he ended up with lifetime status on whatever program they targeted - their mileage was credited to his account.

I could very much see that this would work if you were willing to pay and had someone who was willing to put their butt in the seat and go see someplace new.

As long as you don't book travel that looks like two different people, then I don't think the airline would ever know. I've never been asked for my ID when boarding a domestic flight.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by marklyon
As long as you don't book travel that looks like two different people, then I don't think the airline would ever know. I've never been asked for my ID when boarding a domestic flight.
Sometimes, GAs ask for ID when they reissue BP (like IROPs, Standby, etc).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
This can easily done, but I would not do it, there is other way of getting eqm legally.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by marklyon
I tend to remember someone here hired 20 rural farmers to fly a constant international circuit for a period of time when they found a very good fare. I think he ended up with lifetime status on whatever program they targeted - their mileage was credited to his account.
Yup, and he's a FT member. He also got to experience a nice interview with the US DEA agents in Thailand who thought he was paying the farmers to act as drug mules.

In that case, however, the passengers were all flying under their own names and crediting the points to a pooled account. Everything was within the scope of the programs T&C.

To the OP, I'm not sure that you'd be violating any laws but you would almost certainly be in violation of the T&C and subject to losing the account with no recourse.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by cocaine
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...d-tsa-sfo.html

From - http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane."

Interesting, I did not know this was possible either, but looked it up when I saw the post.
I've forgotten my ID twice, no problem. Just experienced extra TSA screening of the type anyone get if you go through the metal detector three times with a beep.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: United 1k
There are legs to this, I think it works:

You need 4,000 miles to preserve 1k, your mate wants to go from IAD to LAX and back. So:

(i) you buy in his name a ticket to say Allentown (whatever flight is cheap that day) and LAX to (say) Bakersfield;

(ii) you buy in your name the ticket your mate wants, making sure the flight to LAX is on the same day as the Allentown flight and the return flight is the same day as the LAX - Bakersfield flight;

(iii) you (or your mate) check in on line for everything;

(iv) he goes to Dulles, shows his ID and his Allentown boarding pass at security. They'll be cool. Rocks over to the RCC, shows them your boarding pass (and your 1k card) has a drink, goes over to the LAX plane, shows your boarding pass, gets on board, has a very (1k) good seat (but not a UDU );

(v) your mate no shows for the Allentown flight. United will not care. He will not get any miles for it - but who cares.

(vi) does the same at LAX on the way back;

= SUCCESS - you have kept 1k and your mate got out to see the wife/girlfriend/son/ drug dealer whatever for free.

The bummer it will not work internationally, for the serious mileage runs. They do passport control at the gate - cross referencing you picture with your boarding pass for that plane.

Last edited by Robert N; Oct 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:43 pm

Do all of you flyertalk folks really believe that the ID requirement for domestic flights had anything to do with security? It has everything to do with airline revenue.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
OP, don't do it. Let's say they find out that you aren't the person on the BP. I bet TSA will dump the plane and send all of the pax to be re-screened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.