Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Security: Flight to Bermuda Grounded in Philly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://bernews.com/2010/10/security-...ded-in-philly/

A US Airways flight bound for Bermuda this morning [Oct 7] has been grounded before takeoff from Philadelphia International Airport due to a security problem. Passengers were removed from US Airways Flight 1070 and the plane has been towed away and is being searched.

The international media is reporting that Philadelphia police say initial reports from the scene indicate a person lacking a security badge was helping load the plane.

Police told Action News that at around 12 noon Bermuda time today, two US Airways employees were loading Flight 1070 to Bermuda.

A third man helped the two employees and, police say, he was in a US Airways uniform without identification. The man then walked away and cant be found. Those two employees then alerted authorities, who stopped the plane.

Homeland Security, police and bomb squad members arre on the scene. There is no word yet on if anything dangerous was on the plane.

According to U.S. Airways spokesman Todd Lehmacher there were 102 passengers on board, it is unclear how many are Bermudians. There have been no injuries reported, nor any safety issues to the passengers.

It was only days ago that Bermuda had two planes grounded also due to a security issues, as 31-year-old Lorenzo Lottimore was found attempting to access a plane at 3am in the morning.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Tom M.
http://bernews.com/2010/10/security-...ded-in-philly/

A US Airways flight bound for Bermuda this morning [Oct 7] has been grounded before takeoff from Philadelphia International Airport due to a security problem. Passengers were removed from US Airways Flight 1070 and the plane has been towed away and is being searched.

The international media is reporting that Philadelphia police say initial reports from the scene indicate a person lacking a security badge was helping load the plane.

Police told Action News that at around 12 noon Bermuda time today, two US Airways employees were loading Flight 1070 to Bermuda.

A third man helped the two employees and, police say, he was in a US Airways uniform without identification. The man then walked away and cant be found. Those two employees then alerted authorities, who stopped the plane.

Without knowing any more than what's in this article, my guess is that it was an employee who had either lost (most likely) or forgot his id. PHL is a big station & not everyone would know everyone. Now based only on what's given. the only thing I would question is why they can't find the employee.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Without knowing any more than what's in this article, my guess is that it was an employee who had either lost (most likely) or forgot his id. PHL is a big station & not everyone would know everyone. Now based only on what's given. the only thing I would question is why they can't find the employee.
How could an employee access the secure area (terminal, ramp, work spaces) without having a security badge?

Makes me wonder why TSA doesn't screen everyone who enters the secure areas of airports, eh?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How could an employee access the secure area (terminal, ramp, work spaces) without having a security badge?

?
They can't. No entrance with out the badge, that's why I think it got lost(happens alot).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They can't. No entrance with out the badge, that's why I think it got lost(happens alot).
Could a person slip through in a crowd coming to work?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:34 am

Could a person slip through in a crowd coming to work?
Not probable, but yes it's possible. I don't know anything about PHL but here imo they wouldn't get far.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:37 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Piggybacking is always an option.

More likely, the guy had his badge and it was just not displayed properly.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Piggybacking is always an option.

More likely, the guy had his badge and it was just not displayed properly.
This could very well be true. It's not suppose to happen, but employees do have a tendency to put them in a pocket to keep from loosing them.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Let me understand this, 2 US Air employees with ID ALLOWED another uniformed US Air employee to help them load the plane FIRST (no questions asked?) Then, they decided or discovered next that the helper had no ID badge and hit the panic button, thus a security breach.

The flying public had NOTHING to do with this security incident but got yanked off the plane to be rescreened & "handled" again, no doubt for TSA & airline's incompetence. Well, it's likely nobody will missed any connecting flights out of BDA from this delay, just less time on that beautiful island & its secluded beaches.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Let me understand this, 2 US Air employees with ID ALLOWED another uniformed US Air employee to help them load the plane FIRST (no questions asked?) Then, they decided or discovered next that the helper had no ID badge and hit the panic button, thus a security breach.

The flying public had NOTHING to do with this security incident but got yanked off the plane to be rescreened & "handled" again, no doubt for TSA & airline's incompetence. Well, it's likely nobody will missed any connecting flights out of BDA from this delay, just less time on that beautiful island & its secluded beaches.
and one less stop at the Swizzle Inn.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

and one less stop at the Swizzle Inn.
Swizzle Inn, Stagger out.

This could very well be true. It's not suppose to happen, but employees do have a tendency to put them in a pocket to keep from loosing them.
From another source:

When the employees asked the man for identification, the man ran off, drove away and has not been located.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...ncident_100710

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:35 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:14 pm

FOX news say they've just issued "all clear" but with no other info

Fox News just said no threat but they still haven't found the un badged person. Interesting to say the least.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:35 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah-- anyone loading bags should get one of those armband badge holders.

FOX news say they've just issued "all clear" but with no other info
Fox News just said no threat but they still haven't found the un badged person. Interesting to say the least.
That probably means they didn't find any WEI after searching the plane; I'll bet they re-screened the passengers just to be safe.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Letitride3c

Yes, this situation is almost as wierd as the fact that this thread went to ten posts before someone noted this blindingly obvious fact.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Not probable, but yes it's possible. I don't know anything about PHL but here imo they wouldn't get far.
I've noticed that some airport ramps can be accessed with just a punch code lock, especially if you are accessing it from the jetway..

Originally Posted by Ari
Yeah-- anyone loading bags should get one of those armband badge holders.

That probably means they didn't find any WEI after searching the plane; I'll bet they re-screened the passengers just to be safe.
You mean, out of an Abundance of Caution

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.