Wiki Posts
Search

Ua 908 ord-ams

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Ua 908 ord-ams

When 908 landed here at AMS this morning (30th) at AMS, police came on board and removed several PAX.

Then all passengers and their luggage was withheld for several hours.

Anyone know what was going on?

A friend was on the flight and he knows nothing.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looks like I didn't have my morning coffee...

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Aug 30, 2010 at 11:16 am
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That's not the same flight ... 908 comes from ORD
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i might not have had enough coffee yet , but i think we have two different incidents as the article and post you reference is for a flight leaving iad for tpa and the op is referring to a flight arriving at ams

Nine passengers aboard a plane at Dulles International Airport were removed before takeoff.....The flight was headed from Dulles in the Washington, D.C., area to Tampa, Florida.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lpeterman
When 908 landed here at AMS this morning (30th) at AMS, police came on board and removed several PAX.

Then all passengers and their luggage was withheld for several hours.

Anyone know what was going on?

A friend was on the flight and he knows nothing.
That's another problem. Treating everyone like a "suspect" and not providing information. If you're being detained you have a right to know why, except I guess in Europe? And the US? and...
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
It looks like the two guys removed were a couple of terrorists making a "practice run" with a fake bomb:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/united...d=ESPNheadline
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Beer Me!
It looks like the two guys removed were a couple of terrorists making a "practice run" with a fake bomb:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/united...d=ESPNheadline
Just what we needed. I wonder what new powers will be granted to TSA
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Just what we needed. I wonder what new powers will be granted to TSA
Strip search?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:25 pm

They just posted pictures of what they recovered:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter...0830_xwide.jpg

Will TSA now ban someone from carrying multiple cell phones?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beer Me!
They just posted pictures of what they recovered:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter...0830_xwide.jpg

Will TSA now ban someone from carrying multiple cell phones?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Rut roh. I am on this route Thursday...
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
but these two pieces from the article make absolutely no sense whatsoever

The two were allowed to board the flight at O'Hare airport last night despite security concerns surrounding one of them, the officials said.
if you have "security concerns", detain the "security risk" here and before said security risk actually gets on the airplane and flies the route.

In addition, officials said, al Soofi was found to be carrying $7,000 in cash and a check of his luggage found a cell phone taped to a Pepto-Bismol bottle, three cell phones taped together, several watches taped together, a box cutter and three large knives. Officials said there was no indication of explosives and he and his luggage were cleared for the flight from Birmingham to Chicago O'Hare.
if powers that be are now, albeit left handedly, posting that his cell phones and liquid antacid are suspicious, why did his luggage get cleared to fly
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
but these two pieces from the article make absolutely no sense whatsoever

if you have "security concerns", detain the "security risk" here and before said security risk actually gets on the airplane and flies the route.

if powers that be are now, albeit left handedly, posting that his cell phones and liquid antacid are suspicious, why did his luggage get cleared to fly
One report I saw said they can from somewhere else (Nashville maybe?) and transferred at ORD. They were stopped for having these devices at their origin (Nashville?), but since they were harmless items they were allowed to proceed.

Also their original itinerary would take them through IAD, which is where the suitcase was actually found, while the guys were in AMS. Another question is why did their suitcase go on a plane to IAD while they went to AMS?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob
One report I saw said they can from somewhere else (Nashville maybe?) and transferred at ORD. They were stopped for having these devices at their origin (Nashville?), but since they were harmless items they were allowed to proceed.

Also their original itinerary would take them through IAD, which is where the suitcase was actually found, while the guys were in AMS. Another question is why did their suitcase go on a plane to IAD while they went to AMS?
I heard on the news that these guys were from Detroit. Probably went DTW-ORD-AMS.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:22 pm

One checked in at Birmingham to connect through ORD to AMS. He was flagged as suspicious in BHM, but as they couldn't find explosives they allowed him to continue to travel. The guy who boarded in BHM apparently collected his bags in ORD and rechecked them on a flight connecting in IAD to DXB, but actually boarded the ORD-AMS flight. The flight to IAD departed, but the bag was confiscated once it was realized he wasn't on that flight. The suspect that boarded in BHM lived in Detroit but was originally from Yemen. Not sure where the second guy who "joined" him was from.

There looks to be a couple of "opportunities" for TSA in this incident that I am sure will come to light in the subsequent investigation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.