Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Body Scanners at DCA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Full Body Scanners at DCA

Full Body scanners seem to have shown up at DCA in the last week. I had the "good fortune" to use the premium lane at the DL pier today. It's the only line where they use them. Apparently bad people will focus themselves on one line.

Seems to be a ruse to invent new rules (remove your belt even if it doesn't alarm, put your wallet through the bins, etc). I declined. This yielded an agent hissy fit, a 10 minute wait, and then a guy to come over and grope me. Except he admitted he hadn't been trained on how to do this procedure at all. As one might suspect, I hadn't removed my wallet - Im not letting it out of my sight. The Agent confiscated it and removed it from my immediate area and view for "additional screening".

This episode of "security theater" lasted about 20 minutes... involved me being separated from my wallet, and groped by an agent in the crotch.

What options do we have to avoid this? Any tips on how to avoid my wallet being inevitably pilfered?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
File a complaint for them separating you from your wallet. ANd carefully check your wallet afterward, in their presence, if they do take it away.

You can request private screening. That should keep your possessions with you. If you question them on the wallet you may find them hand inspecting it - I've seen screeners at DCA remove every item from a wallet, inspect each item, read each piece of paper and question the victim (true: saw it more than once in the old NW/YX section of the terminal).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
This episode of "security theater" lasted about 20 minutes... involved me being separated from my wallet, and groped by an agent in the crotch.

What options do we have to avoid this? Any tips on how to avoid my wallet being inevitably pilfered?
In another thread, a poster states that he puts his wallet in his carry-on which is locked with a combination lock. If TSA wants to rummage through the carry-on, they have to have him unlock it. While it might not stop them from rummaging through your wallet, at least they will have to do it where you can watch them. If they try to take it out of your sight, make a stink, a big stink.

And, please, file a complaint about this incident.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Complaint with whom? The TSA manager?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:01 pm
Suspended

You could start here; Pissy's new effort:

https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/talktotsa/talktotsa.aspx

Not that the above is going to get you any place. I'd hit everyone I could think of:

Screening Manager
FSD
Your airline
Your Congresspeople
Airport authority
Local media

The point is that the more people hear about incidents like these, the better.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

TSA Complaint Line: 1-866-289-9673

Name the names of those who harassed you. Also note that your screening harassment time exceeded 10 minutes.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by doober
You could start here; Pissy's new effort:

https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/talktotsa/talktotsa.aspx
I have tried the tsa love letter line more than once and have yet to even have a reply.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Thegweni
I have tried the tsa love letter line more than once and have yet to even have a reply.
Most likely, you'll receive a letter that looks like it was sent by a two year old. IME, that will be the outcome.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Son of a...

I'd been flying CO from EWR to DCA because (the last few trips, anyway) flying has been cheaper than taking Amtrak. But since CO & DL share a pier (and a premium lane) at DCA, I might have to rethink this.

To the OP: Was the DCA NoS the MMW type or the Backscatter Walls of Cancerous Cancer model?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Critic
Son of a...

I'd been flying CO from EWR to DCA because (the last few trips, anyway) flying has been cheaper than taking Amtrak. But since CO & DL share a pier (and a premium lane) at DCA, I might have to rethink this.
Why? Opting out of the WBI, even if adding 10 mintues to your trip, is still faster than Amtrak.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by essxjay
Why? Opting out of the WBI, even if adding 10 mintues to your trip, is still faster than Amtrak.
Probably true, but knowing my luck I'll draw an officious little you-know-what TSO who doesn't like me challenging his/her authoritah.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call the police if they remove it from your sight. Seriously. TSA SOP requires that your possessions remain in your sightline.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by PTravel
Call the police if they remove it from your sight. Seriously. TSA SOP requires that your possessions remain in your sightline.
More precisely, have someone summon an LEO for you?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by essxjay
The biggest reason I could think of would be to stop giving business to the airlines. If airlines were to notice a sizable decrease in business at every airport where the AITs were installed, don't you think that some Board members and high level executives would be on the phone with their Congressmen asking just what their bribe, err, slush, err, retirement, err, campaign "contribution" is buying them?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by clrankin
The biggest reason I could think of would be to stop giving business to the airlines. If airlines were to notice a sizable decrease in business at every airport where the AITs were installed, don't you think that some Board members and high level executives would be on the phone with their Congressmen asking just what their bribe, err, slush, err, retirement, err, campaign "contribution" is buying them?
^ ^

If I could take Amtrak, I would. Instead, I've been enjoying driving more and giving the airlines less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.