Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International arrival at LAX and transit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy International arrival at LAX and transit

We (myself, three kids - 1,6&9 years old) are coming back from Japan to LAX and going on to CVG. We have 1hr 10m layover at LAX. I thought it would be enough time to go through immigration and custom just fine.

But I heard we will be out of secured area and have to go though security screening again at LAX, even though we are just passing through?

Is this true at LAX? Airport web site was not clear about this.

After custom, do I hand over our luggages to "transit" and we have to go outside of secured area and come back through security screening? We will arrive at Terminal 5.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
That's cutting it super-close and I doubt you'll make your connection (especially with a 1-year old!). You will need to clear security because you had access to your checked bags.

Were both flights booked on one ticket? Can you change them?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That is cutting it a little close, don't you think? I would check with your airline to see if you can stand-by for another flight to CVG. If your flight is a little bit delayed, you will most likely not make the flight to CVG. If for some reason you make the flight, your bags might not... Call your airline ASAP!!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by Gab28
We (myself, three kids - 1,6&9 years old) are coming back from Japan to LAX and going on to CVG. We have 1hr 10m layover at LAX. I thought it would be enough time to go through immigration and custom just fine. After custom, do I hand over our luggages to "transit" and we have to go outside of secured area and come back through security screening? We will arrive at Terminal 5.
Sorry for the bad news but you will most likely NOT make your connecting flight. Assuming there was no delay in getting into LAX, it still takes a while (and could be a looooong while depending on if there are other international flights arriving around the same time) just to clear PASSPORT CONTROL. Then you must collect ALL your bags and clear CUSTOMS. Hopefully, your bags will be tagged all the way to CDG and you won't have to lugg it to the ticket counter of your airline in which case you can hand it over to the "transit" as you exit the secured area.

You may have to change terminals and in LAX this is not easy, i.e. you will have to exit the terminal, catch a shuttle and then get off at the right terminal.

I hope you will make it but sorry to say that I am almost certain that you will not. If I were you, I'd try making alternative arrangements, including trying to reserve a hotel room in LAX (for which sometimes you can get a discount rate through your airline). Your airline would very likely book you on the next flight out, but be ready to take such an option. Traveling with family/young children is not easy but it helps to know what you may have to deal with. So please plan accordingly.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Apr 3, 2010 at 4:18 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I agree 1:10 is really not enough time. Some minimum connection times at LAX are 3 hours, and with good reason.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
All international flights (save for those arriving from Canada and Ireland - any others with pre-clearance facilities?) arriving in the US require passengers to pass through immigration and customs checks. You will then be landside and need to reclear security. This is true at all US aiports that are ports of entry. (PHX years ago used to used to exit customs airside which was convenient).

What airline or airlines are you flying to and from LAX? Maybe others can ring in on whether 1:10 meets the minimum connection time requirement for your particular flights at LAX - which is an awful airport if you have to change from the international terminal to any other. If it's all Delta (just a guess if transiting LAX to CVG and you said you arrive at Terminal 5), at least you won't need to make that terminal change.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
I made it on time twice last year

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
All international flights (save for those arriving from Canada and Ireland - any others with pre-clearance facilities?) arriving in the US require passengers to pass through immigration and customs checks. You will then be landside and need to reclear security. This is true at all US aiports that are ports of entry. (PHX years ago used to used to exit customs airside which was convenient).

What airline or airlines are you flying to and from LAX? Maybe others can ring in on whether 1:10 meets the minimum connection time requirement for your particular flights at LAX - which is an awful airport if you have to change from the international terminal to any other. If it's all Delta (just a guess if transiting LAX to CVG and you said you arrive at Terminal 5), at least you won't need to make that terminal change.
I flew SYD to LAX and then to DTW. Customs opens at 6:00 AM and they wouldn't let us deplane until 6:00 AM even though we arrived early at 5:45 AM. It takes about 15 minutes to walk through the maze to baggage arrival. Waited for my bags and got them at 6:30 AM. I cleared customs at 6:35 AM. Also had to clear agricultural baggage check which took 4 additional minutes. Dropped off bags at the baggage drop at 6:40 am. Exited customs control. Then you walk upstairs one level and queue up for an extremely long line for security screening. There was very full elite security screening line and I cleared this at 7:01 AM. If there was not an expedited elite security line, I would not have made it to my scheduled flight. Ran to the gate and got there at 7:05 AM with no time to spare. Cabin door closed about two minutes after boarding. It was an aerobic workout.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
It is going to be a tight connection at LAX.

I was just looking at the schedule on a random day in June. I would suggest you look at your existing schedule for any changes Delta may have made.

Looks like LAX-NRT gets in around 9:45am and the next flight to CVG departs at 10:45am. I don't think this connection can be done. Keep in mind gate 68B in T6 is also being used for some DL inbound international flights. DL operations at LAX are split between T5 and T6.

If you miss the 10:45am to CVG, next n/s is an overnight redeye. Otherwise there are a few options connecting via Salt Lake or Atlanta.

I honestly don't see you making the connection and it doesn't sound like a legal connection to begin with. This leads me to the next question - who sold this ticket to you, or was there a change in schedule by Delta?

If Delta changed your flight times they are required to rebook you on flights that will work for you.

Did you have a longer connection initially and did Delta do a schedule change on you? Or did you purchase two separate tickets? I'm just trying to figure out why you'd be sked on such a short connection unless 60 min is absolute minimum MCT.

IF your short connection is the result of Delta Schedule Change: Call Delta and request to be re-accommodated with a better connection because of their schedule change.

I looked at the schedule for Monday, June 14.

If DL did change your schedule and you need something that works, I would suggest DL book you on the following:

DL 280
Depart NRT 3:55pm
Arrive ATL 3:45pm --same day--
Equipment: Boeing 777-200LR (nice plane)

DL 1039
Depart ATL 6:00pm
Arrive CVG 7:31pm
Equipment: Boeing 737-800

This would route you NRT-ATL-CVG and bypass LAX completely.

This would also provide you 2 hrs 15 minutes for your connection. The international arrival facility in Atlanta is much nicer than LAX.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I can't comment on Delta specifically because I have never flown them out of LAX but on numerous other airlines I personally have flown LAX-Asia-LAX, minimum legal connection is either 90 minutes OR 120 minutes domestic to international and always 120 minutes international to domestic. I personally am a high roller on tight connections. I 'might' personally attempt the connection described if I were feeling peckish, knowing full well the consequences I face if my gamble didn't pay off. I don't check bags, even to/from Asia, move fast and know where I am going. No way in a million years would I attempt it with children or even non-travel-ninja adults in tow.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Sorry for the bad news but you will most likely NOT make your connecting flight. Assuming there was no delay in getting into LAX, it still takes a while (and could be a looooong while depending on if there are other international flights arriving around the same time) just to clear PASSPORT CONTROL. Then you must collect ALL your bags and clear CUSTOMS. Hopefully, your bags will be tagged all the way to CDG and you won't have to lugg it to the ticket counter of your airline in which case you can hand it over to the "transit" as you exit the secured area.

You may have to change terminals and in LAX this is not easy, i.e. you will have to exit the terminal, catch a shuttle and then get off at the right terminal.

I hope you will make it but sorry to say that I am almost certain that you will not. If I were you, I'd try making alternative arrangements, including trying to reserve a hotel room in LAX (for which sometimes you can get a discount rate through your airline). Your airline would very likely book you on the next flight out, but be ready to take such an option. Traveling with family/young children is not easy but it helps to know what you may have to deal with. So please plan accordingly.
Sorry to say your answer is very misleading.

1. The only NRT-LAX arrival T5 and the only LAX-CVG are both DL.

2. No need to get on the bus to change terminal. It's just going upstairs.

3. There is still one red-eye LAX-CVG after the midday flight, beside several other DL options through other hubs getting you to CVG before midnight. Once you add one-stop red-eyes, options are limitless. Reserving a hotel room for a morning NRT-LAX arrival is an overkill.

4. NRT-LAX actually arrives T6 and shares the arrival hall with only UA. Looks like the OP is traveling in July or August. DL NRT-LAX is highly likely to be on time, and will likely be the only flight feeding passengers to CBP hall at that time. The only probable complication will be if DL SYD-LAX (B777) is 2-3 hours late (arriving just before NRT and dumping 300 people ahead of you) or if UA SYD-LAX is super early (ahead of your flight instead of half hour behind).

70 minutes is tight, but not necessarily undoable DL-DL.

Last edited by HkCaGu; Apr 5, 2010 at 11:05 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:55 pm

It doesn't matter where you're "supposed" to arrive at LAX. I've had numerous international flights that were supposed to come into the UA terminal and for whatever reason the passengers end up being bussed to Bradley for customs and immigration. It's a crapshoot.

Allowing anything less than 2-3 hours to connect at LAX is just asking for trouble. Sure, it's possible that you'll make it -- it's also very possible that you won't.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Sorry to say your answer is very misleading.
1. The only NRT-LAX arrival T5 and the only LAX-CVG are both DL.
2. No need to get on the bus to change terminal. It's just going upstairs.
3. There is still one red-eye LAX-CVG after the midday flight, beside several other DL options through other hubs getting you to CVG before midnight. Once you add one-stop red-eyes, options are limitless. Reserving a hotel room for a morning NRT-LAX arrival is an overkill.
4. NRT-LAX actually arrives T6 and shares the arrival hall with only UA. Looks like the OP is traveling in July or August. DL NRT-LAX is highly likely to be on time, and will likely be the only flight feeding passengers to CBP hall at that time. The only probable complication will be if DL SYD-LAX (B777) is 2-3 hours late (arriving just before NRT and dumping 300 people ahead of you) or if UA SYD-LAX is super early (ahead of your flight instead of half hour behind).
70 minutes is tight, but not necessarily undoable DL-DL.
All due respect, you don't seem to know what you are talking about. Folks who connect in LAX know how much hassle that is and time it can take...no need to downplay the risk of loosing OP's connecting flight if all one has is little over an hour.

Arrival as most of us have experienced happens in Tom Bradly. This is a distinct and separate terminal from T5, from which the OP will probably depart. T5 is not connected with Tom Bradly and will involve catching a free shuttle bus and going over there.

I encourage the OP to explore making alternative flight arrangements should he miss his original flight out of LAX. I am not aware of his situation but traveling with a family is not easy. Whatever works for OP.

I agree that 70 minutes is NOT impossible but most here would agree with me when I say that it is highly improbable that OP will make his original flight. If it does work out, I am going to be of course happy for him. Good luck!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by whitearrow
It doesn't matter where you're "supposed" to arrive at LAX. I've had numerous international flights that were supposed to come into the UA terminal and for whatever reason the passengers end up being bussed to Bradley for customs and immigration.
With DL SYD/NRT and UA SYD/NRT all scheduled to arrive in the morning, CBP is obligated to report to work T6 in the morning. The only flights/passengers that get rerouted from T2/T6 to TBIT are delayed ones in the afternoon or evening hours. And the OP is only concerned about NRT-LAX being on-time and still not make LAX-CVG. If it is several hours late, the midday LAX-CVG won't wait for them anyway.

Originally Posted by whitearrow
Allowing anything less than 2-3 hours to connect at LAX is just asking for trouble. Sure, it's possible that you'll make it -- it's also very possible that you won't.
I can agree with your second sentence, but not your first. If you're doing inter-terminal (e.g. T7-TBIT) leaving the country on that one flight a day, then I'd rather have 3 hours or more. But missing a midday domestic flight is not the end of the world.

There's the regular LAX interline connection nightmare that every traveler should prepare for, but this is not the case. Flying NRT-CVG through LAX with a 70-minute connection is not a smart option (especially with family), but may have been the only option for the fare level. But DL's availability and efficiency cannot be disregarded.

I highly advise the OP to know his options, both from LAX and also if there's any sign of departure delay for NRT-LAX, be prepared to ask for other options out of NRT, especially MSP and ATL. Options you couldn't buy can be given to you when "bad" things happen.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Delta Reserve Card
Forget it.

Save yourself and the kids the nightmare of navigating LAX--its not worth your sanity. I live in L.A. and we all know LAX is a joke. Even if you had superpowers you wouldn't be able to make it in the time allotted to you for this mission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.