Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Employee Faces Rape Charge Police Say Man Assaulted 14-Year-Old Girl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

TSA Employee Faces Rape Charge
Police Say Man Assaulted 14-Year-Old Girl

BOSTON -- A TSA employee at Logan International Airport is facing statutory rape charges Tuesday.

Sean Shanahan was arrested by police in Winthrop. Officials say he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl at his home during school vacation week.

Shanahan allegedly sent her sexually explicit text messages. TSA officials said Shanahan is no longer working at the airport.

"We can assure travelers every TSA employee is subject to a significant background check, including criminal history, before they are offered a job. Unfortunately, these checks do not predict future behavior," TSA officials said in a statement.

Shanahan was held on $50,000 bail following his arraignment and ordered to have no contact with the victim or any minors.

He is scheduled to return to court on April 5.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Trollkiller

BOSTON -- A TSA employee at Logan International Airport is facing statutory rape charges Tuesday.

Sean Shanahan was arrested by police in Winthrop. Officials say he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl at his home during school vacation week.

Shanahan allegedly sent her sexually explicit text messages. TSA officials said Shanahan is no longer working at the airport.

"We can assure travelers every TSA employee is subject to a significant background check, including criminal history, before they are offered a job. Unfortunately, these checks do not predict future behavior," TSA officials said in a statement.

Shanahan was held on $50,000 bail following his arraignment and ordered to have no contact with the victim or any minors.

How disgusting!!!!! Don't worry, he had a backgroud check
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How disgusting!!!!! Don't worry, he had a backgroud check
Exactly the type of a person who would want a job groping us and looking at our naked bodies.

Disgusting!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller

And TSA wants to let people like this operate WBI Nude-O-Scopes or pat down our kids!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I guess this scumbag had his own ideas about layers of security...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:31 pm

eh...all this shows is the limitations of background checks. I am not gonna blame the TSA for this sleazbag, look at some of the turncoats over the years in the CIA, FBI, etc. They passed background checks and went on to do horrible things.

The problem here is that the TSA treats background checks like the word of god not as simply another layer. Who is screening the screeners?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See numbers 4 and 12:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...numbers-3.html
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by avsfan733
eh...all this shows is the limitations of background checks. I am not gonna blame the TSA for this sleazbag, look at some of the turncoats over the years in the CIA, FBI, etc. They passed background checks and went on to do horrible things.

The problem here is that the TSA treats background checks like the word of god not as simply another layer. Who is screening the screeners?
The FBI or CIA don't feel compelled to reassure us everytime they arrest a spy or other scumbag in their midst.

I noted the articles quote from the TSA Spokeshole stating that he "is no longer working at the airport.". It doesn't say he was terminated.

There are enough "bad apples" to have made some pretty good rhuma-tiz medicine
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
WBZ is reporting that Sean Shanahan is 45 years old.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Yuck!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:06 pm

This link also says that he was fired, which answers one of the earlier questons.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thumbs up and (yet) another black eye for the tsa

ok so we have both
TSA officials said Shanahan is no longer working at the airport.
and

Shanahan is no longer employed by the TSA.
while i like the sound of the latter much better as the former can allude to being "re-assigned", i'm wondering which is correct and i thought the tsa never commented on situations like this out of covering their a$$ an abundance of privacy
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
ok so we have both and

while i like the sound of the latter much better as the former can allude to being "re-assigned", i'm wondering which is correct and i thought the tsa never commented on situations like this out of covering their a$$ an abundance of privacy
Privacy for their folks, however, no privacy for the traveling public!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:58 pm

"TSA cannot comment on an ongoing police investigation, however, we can assure travelers every TSA employee is subject to a significant background check, including criminal history, before they are offered a job. Unfortunately, these checks do not predict future behavior."

Comforting thoughts.

Kinda throws SPOT and background checks into questionable territory. and begs the question: What are you actually doing that makes travel any safer?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
I guess this scumbag had his own ideas about layers of security...
Yeah, remember Charles who met 14-years old girl in MCO? He has already gotten arrested by couple months ago. Don't you mentioned that you still remember where he met her onto myspace.com. He didn't appreciate it for his behavioral. He could be banned from Internet for rest his miserable life.

Now on, he is no longer work for TSA organizations. He has already termination from his job due to criminal background checks. So I couldn't not believe it what happens to him. He will spent in the prisons for rest of the life sentences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.