Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA requires Passport on Intl Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:47 am

My KIDS (under 10) were forced to show their passports for the domestic portion of LAX-SFO-AKL

I know this wrong on many levels
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by star_world
Regardless - I've probably passed through most of the significant airports (ie: have scheduled air service) in the continental US at some point. No interaction to report.
The TSA screens at approximately 450 airports.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, the topic here is: TSA requires Passport on Intl Flights?

And it doesn't include your opinion of your fellow FlyerTalker.

We've removed several posts that were nothing more than back and forth bickering.

Your cooperation in staying strictly on the topic is appreciated.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I had one threaten me (at BWI) when I showed a passport instead of my DL. He was insistent on seeing the DL, and threatened to have the airport police remove me from the property unless I showed a DL. I was presenting a passport as ID.
"Oh, goody. I get to sue you AND the police officer for civil rights violations! Call your supervisor, smurf!"
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:39 am
KCK

Originally Posted by AAaLot
My KIDS (under 10) were forced to show their passports for the domestic portion of LAX-SFO-AKL

I know this wrong on many levels
They didn't ask to speak with a supervisor? What kind of education and morale upbringing are you providing them? If they won't stand up to a TSA screener, how do you expect them to stand up to a bully at school?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KCK
They didn't ask to speak with a supervisor? What kind of education and morale upbringing are you providing them? If they won't stand up to a TSA screener, how do you expect them to stand up to a bully at school?
Your kids are not allowed to stand up to a bully at school. Zero tolerance means the bully gets away with it and your kids gets put in reform school.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:56 pm

Have you ever had one say "Do you want to fly today" or "do you want to make your flight"? I have.

I heard one of the LTSOs at IAD a few weeks ago telling a passenger "Well, I'll call the airport police and have them detain you and question you for a couple of hours to make sure you miss your flight".

I had one threaten me (at BWI) when I showed a passport instead of my DL. He was insistent on seeing the DL, and threatened to have the airport police remove me from the property unless I showed a DL. I was presenting a passport as ID.

Power trippers. Can they deny you? In the end, probably not. But they can detain you (or have you detained) and delay you long enough that you miss your flight. See the recent thread about the FT'er at LAX that had to deal with that.....

I had a supervisor tell me that at PDX a few years ago when I refered to his underling as a Nazi.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DIFIN
I had a supervisor tell me that at PDX a few years ago when I refered to his underling as a Nazi.
From what I heard at IAD, the word that the passenger used was "idiot"....
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DIFIN
And rightly so, I would say. Why bother doing this? I would assume you're at the security checkpoint with the goal being to get through it and board a flight, not make a provocative civil rights statement. Save that for the senators / representatives / other people who can actually exert some influence.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
And rightly so, I would say. Why bother doing this? I would assume you're at the security checkpoint with the goal being to get through it and board a flight, not make a provocative civil rights statement. Save that for the senators / representatives / other people who can actually exert some influence.
Because the First Amendment doesn't cease to exist at the theftpoint, er checkpoint.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
Because the First Amendment doesn't cease to exist at the theftpoint, er checkpoint.
Never said it did. It's the TSA checkpoint equivalent of banging your head against a wall to show everyone you can bang your head against a wall though. Personally I'd much rather walk past, laugh at the guy banging his head against the wall and get on with my life So far it's working - see previous comments about zero harassment at checkpoints.

Neither viewpoint is right or wrong - and neither is made in ignorance.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Spiff
Exactly. If the TSA were professional and not behaving like fascists, the TSA wouldn't harass free persons for exercising the First Amendment right to peacefully express their political opinion about the actions of a government employee and/or agency.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From what I heard at IAD, the word that the passenger used was "idiot"....
Which, for most of the TSO's at IAD, is an entirely accurate label.

If you wish to ignore an improper act by someone acting under the color of government authority, that is indeed your right. Those of us who don't wish to ignore these situations shouldn't have our rights trampled in return.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Exactly. If the TSA were professional and not behaving like fascists, the TSA wouldn't harass free persons for exercising the First Amendment right to peacefully express their political opinion about the actions of a government employee and/or agency.
If, if, if, if, if if. People have been lamenting the non-existent (and often non-changeable) since long before the days of Shakespeare. Good luck with that ^
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
If you wish to ignore an improper act by someone acting under the color of government authority, that is indeed your right. Those of us who don't wish to ignore these situations shouldn't have our rights trampled in return.
It's called focusing and directing my response, not ignoring. Massive, massive difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.