Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

You really can't make stuff like this up, folks......

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/lo...rity_gate.html

Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N231LA
You really can't make stuff like this up, folks......

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/lo...rity_gate.html

A TSA worker was staring at her. He motioned her toward him.

Then he pulled a small, clear plastic bag from her carry-on - the sort of baggie that a pair of earrings might come in. Inside the bag was fine, white powder.
When she complained to airport security, Solomon said, she was told the TSA worker had been training the staff to detect contraband.
Training to find contraband that looks like a small amount of white powder.

And I thought TSA had agreed to restrict the administrative search to WEI.

Time for someone to pull the plug on TSA.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:24 pm

Well, at the very least, TSA says that the culprit is no longer working for them ...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well, at the very least, TSA says that the culprit is no longer working for them ...
Do you suppose it could have been Ronnie?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Nothing is unbelievable any more with this agency.

Bruce
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:49 pm

"Update: Ann Davis, the TSA spokeswoman, said this afternoon that the worker is no longer employed by the agency as of today. She said privacy laws prevented her from saying if he was fired or left on his own."
Well by the sounds of "as of today", he was dismissed today
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it must be a TSA contest to see who can be the biggest screw-up of the week.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
What bothers me beyond the obvious is TSA spokeshole davis uses that privacy clasuse a little to much to cover TSA perverbal arse when it needs to but has no problems splashing travelers names all over the place for even the most minor things. I hope one day someone just lays her and TSA out for that as is such BS its not funny.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Im sure the fact that the young ladys father is a lawyer had nothing to do with it.

Does anyone think dismissals like this will be possible once TSOs have collective bargaining power?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
This is the problem when travelers have no rights in the "sterile" area. The pendulum has swung way way way too far into the absurd at the cost of travelers. All in the name of safety, of course.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
"detecting contraband"

More proof that TSA is really running a dragnet, not just reporting something found incidentally to a permitted administrative search.

As a whole, the agency is unaccountable.

Too bad she didn't call the cops immediately & file a police report.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: SSSSS
People, this is no joke. That TSA agent committed a serious felony offense.

I hope the local District Attorney or the US District Attorney is investigating this for potential prosecution. Planting evidence by a cop is a federal offense with sentences of up to 20 years. A wanna be cop TSA idiot is employed by the feds and should be prosecuted. Must be prosecuted. With a public trial and an example made of this person. If the TSA management is unwilling to prefer charges, a complaint by Ms. Solomon should be filed at her earliest convenience.

This could happen to any one of us at any time and it could be the real McCoy planted in our luggage. This TS idiot has demonstrated it is possible as a "joke." We already know that they steal stuff. Now, they have demonstrated that they can use any of us as "mules" to cart their drugs for them, and if someone finds out, "Oh well, we caught ourselves a drug runner, can you imagine how stupid they were to think we wouldn't catch them?"

I will be in contact with the young woman's senator who is a noted civil rights advocate, Carl Levin. I encourage each and every one on this board to write a letter. Paper in envelope with stamps. Handwritten will do, maybe better to each of their federal representatives. Us Michigan Alumni need to stick together!

If this man is not criminally prosecuted, I will not travel by commercial air carrier within the United States again for any reason. NWA/DL are you listening?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Do you suppose it could have been Ronnie?
TSORon does not work at PHI.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by greentips
People, this is no joke. That TSA agent committed a serious felony offense.

I hope the local District Attorney or the US District Attorney is investigating this for potential prosecution. Planting evidence by a cop is a federal offense with sentences of up to 20 years. A wanna be cop TSA idiot is employed by the feds and should be prosecuted. Must be prosecuted. With a public trial and an example made of this person. If the TSA management is unwilling to prefer charges, a complaint by Ms. Solomon should be filed at her earliest convenience.

This could happen to any one of us at any time and it could be the real McCoy planted in our luggage. This TS idiot has demonstrated it is possible as a "joke." We already know that they steal stuff. Now, they have demonstrated that they can use any of us as "mules" to cart their drugs for them, and if someone finds out, "Oh well, we caught ourselves a drug runner, can you imagine how stupid they were to think we wouldn't catch them?"

I will be in contact with the young woman's senator who is a noted civil rights advocate, Carl Levin. I encourage each and every one on this board to write a letter. Paper in envelope with stamps. Handwritten will do, maybe better to each of their federal representatives. Us Michigan Alumni need to stick together!

If this man is not criminally prosecuted, I will not travel by commercial air carrier within the United States again for any reason. NWA/DL are you listening?
What felony?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
another reason to lock your carry-on

A few years ago I started locking my laptop case before placing it on the x-ray belt. I was mainly interested in keeping TSA employees from taking things out but I suppose it also makes it harder for them to put something in as well.

A side benefit is that since I started locking my case I haven't had a single "hand search" of my bag. Use to get one every 5 to 6 times through. Now I never get one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.