Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC folder in Air Boss

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

EC folder in Air Boss

Will an Eagle Creek 20 inch pack it folder fit in a Red OXX Air Boss?

Thanks for the help

mpm118
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:36 pm

A simple look-up on the respective websites will give you the sizes as 21x13 for the AB and 20x14 for the EC. In other words the folder is too high for the Airboss. The folder you should use and which I use in my carry-on size bags is the 18" folder. This will fit, guaranteed. It also has the advantage that you can put your shirts inside and then use it as a core to wrap pants or a suit jacket around it, as described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...good-22-a.html

On the other hand I am just about to buy another EC folder in the 15 inch size for my smaller bags. I checked it out and it is really quite small. I am not sure how much I like it. So I will buy it locally to be able to return it easily.

Welcome to FT!

Till
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Till for the welcome and the advice
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: QF Silver
The 18" works wonderfully in the AB - either bundle wrapped in the center compartment or used normally under the outer cinch straps.

Just wanted to pass along one tip -- I travel a fair bit with just the AB as a carry on. A few times I've picked up a souvenir program or photograph that I've wanted to bring home without damage. If you slip it into the bottom of the EC folder between the plastic insert and the canvas (not the folding guide) it offers great protection in an otherwise rumply environment.

Happy travels & also pick up a Tom Binh strap -- almost as important as the Bose headsets.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:24 pm

Thanks for confirming my 18" folder recommendation for the AB. Good packing tip also for the fragile things or perhaps documents that must not be bent.

Another thing you can do if a specific folder doesn't quite fit your bag is to simply cut it to size. The plastic insert can be cut with sharp kitchen shears and the envelope is so flexible it will readily fold over a bit more to accommodate the new smaller size inserts.

UPDATE:
I just got the EV 15" folder. If you want to check if this fits in a smaller bag you own and you already have the 18" model, well the 15 incher is as big as the transparent folding insert of the 18 incher. It fits perfectly in my two new Valoroso bags, the 6 pocket tote and the 4 pocket duffel. With a little bag English I can also squeeze it in my 26141 Tumi briefcase which is great, and in the BR BB107 bag.

The price one pays for this nice, small format is that my relatively normal shirts (I'm a tad under 6ft and slim) need to be folded over at the bottom again to properly fit the folder. No big deal since that part is usually in the trousers anyway. But beware that this adds a good bit of bulk to the folded shirts. Moreover, the EC price of $24 is quite strictly enforced and it is hard to find deals on these things. Personally, I find the price to be high but it is to my knowledge the only pre-packaged solution out there. Otherwise I'd have to start a DIY project. It would be easy enough to fab something with a ziploc bag as envelope and two polyester plates as covers/boards. The problem will be sourcing the poly boards. If anybody has an idea where to get those, please speak up. The only thing that I have that comes close are some ChopChop flexible cutting boards. But they are a bit thinner; not sure if that is bad or good. Might actually be better.

http://www.dynamic-living.com/produc...utting-boards/

Till

Last edited by tfar; Aug 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm Reason: added update and DIY idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.