Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Definition of person item includes backpack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking of buying the Swissgear Maxxum backpack http://www.amazon.com/MAXXUM-SwissGe...pr_product_top which is kind of large but has a good amount of space and padding for my laptop and camera. But for short trips (7 days or less) I would still like to take only a carry on and my backpack. I realize the backpack is regarded as a "personal item"? If so, what is the maximum size the backpack can be?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've seen backpacks taken many times, and unless it was a huge back packer type, I doubt there would be any problems.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum..
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Generally if it look like it would be remotely possible to jam it under a seat you'll be ok. I travel with a rollaboard and a backpack in lieu of a briefcase all the time.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I have that backpack. Depending on how full it is; it is more of a small carry-on than a personal item. My personal distinction is carry-ons do not fit under the seat in-front of you.

If the bag is not full, it will fit under the seat in front of you but it will eat up a lot of leg room. I generally put it in the overhead bins. It's about as wide as a carry-on (with water bottles protruding from the sides) , but much shorter.

The bag is great and quite well made. I am just a bit too thin-skinned to feel good about bringing a carry-on and the full backpack on board.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:18 am
Yub

I usually travel with only a 22" rollaboard, and a laptop daypack as my personal item . The laptop daypack fits under the seat. I've only had a problem once -- at CDG the security screener would not allow me through with both and forced me to check one bag, so I had to go back to ticketing and check in my rollaboard.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Different airlines have different definitions. Delta for example says

Personal Items
You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:
Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

You could of course argue some people carry purses as big as the backpack

American actually puts a number to it:

Personal item - includes: backpack purse, briefcase, laptop OR a similar item such as book bag or tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length + width + height) and fits under the seat.

And others just use generic terms.

I don't think you will have too much trouble unless you pack it full like a suitcase or something. Packed full this bag would be 42 inches and too large for American's regulations, but even just an inch of mushing it down on any side makes it under their requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.