Reload this Page >

Lightest carry-on bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightest carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The other day, I saw someone board with a garbage bag as their carryon bag. I suppose that is the lightest carryon bag you can possibly find. Maybe lighter than those paper shopping bags.

Beware though, I witness a GA force someone to check their paper shopping bag and they were headed to Narita. The only thing holding the handles together was the baggage tag.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by eng3
The other day, I saw someone board with a garbage bag as their carryon bag. I suppose that is the lightest carryon bag you can possibly find. Maybe lighter than those paper shopping bags.

Beware though, I witness a GA force someone to check their paper shopping bag and they were headed to Narita. The only thing holding the handles together was the baggage tag.
They need to go a bit more upmarket: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24883030-post447.html
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:18 pm

SDR D3 Traveller Duffel
515g ; 39L capacity.

Warning: The price is ridiculous. But the construction basically means it's like having 2 cuben fiber bags.

If I traveled more, I'd probably spring for this. But as it is, I just don't travel enough to justify the cost.

The appeal for me is that it's large enough to be a take-everything bag, but it's light enough to be a daily bag. Most other carry-on bags I've seen are basically "base-camp" bags. They're good enough to carry everything, but I find I just prefer leaving them at the hotel and have another bag for daily use.

Another plus for me: 3-way carry - having backpack style carry is a must for me.

I do have another cuben fiber bag (Outlier Ultrahigh) and I really do like the lightness of the material. It's not for everyone though - it's an ultralight, fairly weather resistant material, but it's crinkly and 'noisy'.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMoney
SDR D3 Traveller Duffel
515g ; 39L capacity.

Warning: The price is ridiculous. But the construction basically means it's like having 2 cuben fiber bags.
Here's the link. Goodness, almost $1K?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Here's the link. Goodness, almost $1K?
Indeed. Good luck to them if they find a mug to pay that much.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Platinum
Only 1.13 lbs! Looks like the duffel is made from Dyneema fiber. Very strong, I have a Tom Bihn Co-pilot bag made from that fabric. Just about right for United sizers though, 21.5/10.5/10.5 inches (United 22/14/9 inches).

Looks like Tom Bihn has a new travel pack, with a waist belt. https://www.tombihn.com/collections/travel-bags/products/heros-journey-travel-backpack?variant=31566549575

Almost 3 times heavier at 3 lbs.

Last edited by frankmu; Nov 26, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMoney
SDR D3 Traveller Duffel
515g ; 39L capacity.

Warning: The price is ridiculous.
This is the most (features) and least (price) desirable pack I've ever seen.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
I searched for a while for lightweight carry-on and found out one very interesting thing. There are several decent sub 4.5 pound bags be renowned manufacturers sold in Europe, but the same manufacturers do not offer them here in US. No idea why that is. Brands like Roncato, March, Samsonite, Kelsey, Brick's all offer sub 4.4 pounds bags.

My requirements were lightweight, maxing out the carry on size limit, double handle so I can stack up another bag on top and two wheels. I don't mind spinners, but 4 wheels weigh more than two, not to mention they stick out more, so you actually get smaller bag.

I chose American Tourister Lightway Upright 55/20 (Samsonite brand). I could not be happier about it. ~$90. Solid build and astonishing 3.3 pounds. It's a no frills decent looking carry-on. https://www.alzashop.com/sport/ameri...tm#alternativy

My other bag is Tumi and it weighs exactly double! Obviously it's lightweight, so probably not as durable, but I think it will last 3 years with little care and making sure baggage throwers never get their hands on it.

As I said you can't buy it in US, but maybe you can find it online, or buy it while in Europe.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Here are the brand I'm considering, have heard good things about them:

43 litres and 400g
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A1JSP8ME38H4IS

200g backback
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by aceman
Here are the brand I'm considering, have heard good things about them:

43 litres and 400g

200g backback
Kind of crazy since most airlines allow 55x40x20 that their bag should be 53x35x23! What a waste.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by NYTA
Kind of crazy since most airlines allow 55x40x20 that their bag should be 53x35x23! What a waste.
The net loss of 4 linear cm isn't too bad. I don't think the extra 3 cm of depth would get anyone into trouble, as long as it's not overstuffed.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by eng3

HAAHAH thats really funny. i can imagine the thought process of that guy..

i would not trust a a garbage bag to hold my items till i reach my hotel. lol
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
To original question

I'm a Lipault fan:

http://www.lipault-usa.com/

Light and stylish
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: None
Good thing for you. This bag would be a great help.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:11 am

max payload using a gym bag

i maximize my payload by using a soft synthetic gym bag.

bag itself is less than 2 lbs.

couple it with a pacsafe personal bag and i can usually get a total 12Kg payload into the cabin with no questions asked even on 7Kg ULCC flights.

downside is i can only carry non fragile items but it works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.