Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How to get ambien?

How to get ambien?

Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:39 am

Welcome to FT, JaneHill! ^

Your timestamp and experience with melatonin and Ambien suggests you are a nighthawk...but the nice thing about FT is that it is worldwide, so it will be daylight somewhere while someone is reading your posts
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:05 am

I don't know if this is of any help to you, but it works for me. On a long flight when I am ready to go to sleep, I just connect my Bose QC2 to my iPod Shuffle (so I can clip it on my shirt stop it falling off while I sleep) I bought specially for that purpose - the best $50 I ever spent in Vegas! I put my favourite soft music on the iPod. In no time at all, I am away into the land of Zzzzz...

So far, it works for me every time, even with with twin babies crying near by.

I don't take any pills, as I am too lazy and disorganised for that!

Last edited by SQ4000; Feb 13, 2009 at 7:35 am
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by crux
So I like many on this site have lots of time on my hands late at night on giant flying metal tubes. I know a lot of people really like ambien for flights... How do I go about asking my doctor for a RX for ambien for travel purposes? Will a reputable doctor give ambien purely for jet lag?
Sure.

I write it for my patients all the time.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Just lock the fridge when home and on ambien

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11835999/
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
I got my Doc to write me a script for Halcion. I take 1 about 2 hours into my 11 hour flight and usually get about 7-8 hours of solid sleep. Feel rested with no drugged induced feeling upon waking other then dry mouth. Halcion could be abused by some, so my doctor only gives me 15 pills at a time for the year. I do 6 RT overseas flights a year so it works out perfectly. To many wierd side affects on Ambien or Lunesta for me. I have tried both as has my wife.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:53 am
Suspended

Has your wife had a sleep study? If not, she should strongly consider it to help eliminate snoring and rule out sleep apnea (which many people don't realize can have serious health consequences if left untreated).
Snoring doesn't imply sleep apnea. People who snore and then during their snore stop, sound like they're having problems breating and then go back to shoring is where sleep apnea is implied.

I don't take any pills, as I am too lazy and disorganised for that!
If someone is asking about sleep meds, I don't think an iPod will help them much. Not all of us sleep as easily as you do. I wish that did it for me. I'm rather jealous. Disorganized? You should work on that.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:07 am

Be careful about taking Halcion. Trade name is traizolam and it was withdrawn from the market in several countries because of concerns about serious side-effects (mostly psychological) associated with the drug.Studies have found a much higher incidence of psychiatric disturbances (sometimes severe) with triazolam, even when using the lower doses of 0.125 mg.

The medical literature has shown that triazolam is much more likely than other benzodiazepines (Ambien) to cause strange behavior and in some instances psychotic or violent reactions.It is also more addictive than Ambien.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The incidence rate is incredibly low. It was at one time the most widely prescribed sleep medication in the world. With those kind of numbers, it's not surprising that some side effects were noted.

Besides, drug companies have to justify a replacement when it's about to go generic.

Every drug has side effects. The incidence rate is so low with Halcion that I wouldn't give it a thought before taking it.

And if you look at the side effects details, you will note a majority of the people reporting problems were taking dosages larger than recommended and taking it for a far longer period of time than recommended.

As with all drugs, YMMV.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 3:03 pm

I wrote my post based on the advice of my spouse who is an US physician.

Last edited by lavedder; Jan 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lavedder
I appreciate your info on the subject. I know my experience is just anecdotal but my father has been taking it for around 20 years on flights only and has not had one side affect. As for me, I have only been taking it for about 8 years with not one side affect. I take about 12-15 pills in one year though.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:36 am

Which your spouse was no doubt told by a drug company rep who had to convince your spouse that their "new and improved" sleeping medication, which was covered by patent protection, was what they should prescribe.

None of it is a secret. You can look it up yourself with a Google search.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:35 pm

I have used Ambien and then switched Lunesta. They work well, Ambien had the usual addiction and side effects, but no problems with Lunesta.

But I simply cannot sleep on airplanes, and neither one helped me even a little bit when I took them on red-eye flights. So I have to caution people that if you find it really hard to sleep on airplanes these are not necessarily a miracle cure for you.

When it was impossible for me to sleep in the hospital, they gave me Atavan which totally knocked me out and erased my memory of the day I got discharged, plus some enjoyable hallucinations. So I'm confident that drug work on the airplane, but obviously it's not appropriate in that situation.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:31 pm

Which your spouse was no doubt told by a drug company rep who had to convince your spouse that their "new and improved" sleeping medication, which was covered by patent protection, was what they should prescribe.
My spouse does not see any drug reps. I find your remarks offensive since it is purely conjecture.
The boards here are for information exchange not ad hominem attacks.

Atavan is an anti-psychotic drug, wouldn't use it for normal sleeping aid.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:25 am

My spouse does not see any drug reps. I find your remarks offensive since it is purely conjecture.
The boards here are for information exchange not ad hominem attacks.

Atavan is an anti-psychotic drug, wouldn't use it for normal sleeping aid.
Have your spouse prescribe you some Xanax and relax.

I missed the part where I was insulting to anyone. If I knew what your hypersensitive reaction was going to be, I wouldn't have bothered to responding to your post. You can rest assured I won't bother again.

Next time, try dealing with merits of the issue (i.e., the safety of Halcion).

Then FO.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Next time, try dealing with merits of the issue (i.e., the safety of Halcion).
Given the misspelling and mischaracterization of Ativan as an anti-psychotic (it's a benzodiazepine, just like Halcion, Restoril, Valium, Xanax, and the rest of the -zepams and -zolams), perhaps it would be better not to do that either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.