Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Carry On Buying Decision...wheeled travel luggage or soft bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry On Buying Decision...wheeled travel luggage or soft bag?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Question Carry On Buying Decision...wheeled travel luggage or soft bag?

I'm looking to buy a new bag, but I hate checking luggage (who doesn't.) I'm torn between a 22" wheeled suitcase or a comparably sized carry on by Red Oxx (or similar.) Basically whatever I buy needs to be able to get in the cabin with me. On the one hand, the wheeled bag is a lot heavier...but then again it is on wheels, so it's easier to get around with. On the other hand, the soft bag is more versatile. How did you decide which way to go? I'm looking to spend about $200-$250. Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:29 pm

I hate carrying luggage through the airport, so for me it's roll aboard all the way. As an alturnitive most domestic flights that I have been on allow a roll aboard and one personal item/computer bag. Take advantage of it by having a rolling compter bag or a small duffel that will ride on top of the 21" roll aboard. This should allow you up to about a week's worth of room for no check bag travel......

good luck and by the way I've had good luck with delsey and atlantic wheeled pieces for under 140 each....YMMV
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:18 pm

Fully agree with wheels...If I was 21, no injuries, a huge supply of patience and a a desire to use the extra pound or two wheels take up the RedOxx stuff looks nice...

But....I have used backpacks and duffels as carry on luggage and especially when you have a laptop inside it gets really irritating lugging, shouldering and pushing it through the various multi hour lines.

Once I went to a wheeled bag I never turned back...plus it has the advantage of being a seat in the long lines.

I am all about comfort these days...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC;HH Diamond;Natl ExecElite
I got tired of pulling the roller around. Bought a Red Oxx Air Boss a few months back and I love it. It's pretty pricey, but constructed well. Very flexible...I've packed up to 8 days of clothes but my norm is 4-5 days. When packed for my normal week on the road, it's very light and compact. In most planes I can put my Air Boss in the overhead and my laptop backpack on top of it and squeeze it in so I'm only taking up one space in the bin. Whether you go wheels or shoulder is up to you...and your individual preferences. But if you decide to go shoulder, the Air Boss is great.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can carry a wheeled bag if you don't want to wheel it around.

You can not wheel a bag without wheels if you need to wheel it around.

I'd vote for the wheels even if you don't need to wheel it around all the time, but you will probably be very happy when you do have it.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
My trips are usually 1-3 days now...I still like my small duffle bag. I've had to bend it a few times to fit in the crowded overhead. It made it. ^
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
I'd vote for the wheels even if you don't need to wheel it around all the time, but you will probably be very happy when you do have it.
I'd agree with you, especially after a strap broke on a bag we were carrying in Italy a few years ago.

We happened to buy these relatively inexpensive roll-aboards on sale. They're the best we've ever had and we'll continue to buy them when our current ones wear out. On top of the light weight and the low price, the curved top enables them to fit wheels-out into most overheads.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:06 pm

I used to use a small duffel/over the shoulder. The only problem is every now and then you end up with something awkward and heavy (gifts for the family, extra books, etc.) Its nice having a wheeled bag and then I can set things on top. It's also nice to be able to use the handle of a wheeled bag as a coat rack for when you're hanging out for that delayed flight ;-).

Right now I'm using a Wegner 22" roller, I'm pretty happy with it.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
LOVE my High Sierra AT3, it is wheeled 22" but also has a backpack that zips on and off the front that holds my laptop and important stuff. That way if I have to gate check the roller I can just pull off the front part and take that in the cabin with me
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:30 pm

I'm all about the soft bags. Wheels and retracting handles are heavy and take a big bite out of the available space in a carry-on.

I found years ago that the better space efficiency of over-the-shoulder bags let me avoid checking bags on any trip short of a permanent move - even on the way back from long trips (because I leave room to spare on the way out and can now fit the requisite gifts and souvenirs in my carryon.)

Also, over-the-shoulder bags let me walk at my normal (New Yorker) pace through the airport which has saved me hours in lines at passport control and rental car counters over the years just by virtue of being able to stride comfortably ahead of planeloads of people dragging wheelie-bags.

Edit: echoing GoGiants, having a soft bag has also been the margin between having to check my bag at the gate when running to make a tight connection and having my stuff fly with me in the cabin on more occasions than I can count.

My default bag is a grey Benetton duffel picked up in Italy some 10 years ago, but that's unfortunately total unobtanium now. If I had to buy a new one I'd probably go with the Tom Bihn Aeronaut based on my positive experience with their "Smart Alec" backpack and "Brain Cell" laptop sleeves.

Last edited by terrier; Dec 30, 2007 at 11:17 pm Reason: noted the benefit of being able to stuff bag in remaining overhead space
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:51 pm

If you are looking at Red Oxx you should also have a look at the Tom Bihn Aeronaut which I have found to be a great bag. The ability to have a backpack orientation makes all the difference to me.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Best of both worlds

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...Sku=7327150038

I've had this bag for a few months now and I love it. It's light, easy to wheel, fits a lot, it's soft so when not very full I've stuffed it into OH on American Eagle mini-jets, and it can be worn very comfortably as a backpack, plus the front zips off as a small day pack as well.

The REI page has lots of views, but I tried it in the store and loved it.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by asya999
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...Sku=7327150038

I've had this bag for a few months now and I love it. It's light, easy to wheel, fits a lot, it's soft so when not very full I've stuffed it into OH on American Eagle mini-jets, and it can be worn very comfortably as a backpack, plus the front zips off as a small day pack as well.

The REI page has lots of views, but I tried it in the store and loved it.
I also love this bag and I was looking for it but I did not have the source to buy, thanks for providing this link
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:14 am

For those interested in trying the carry-on / backpack with no wheels concept the Rick Steves convertible carry on bag is less than half the price of the Red Oxx or Tom Bihn.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
No contest. Wheeled bag. I attach my briefcase and go. I use the Costco bag. It's on the 3rd generation, and around $130 with a lifetime warranty. The new version has a non-zippered expansion section. I've had a 1st generation and am 2 years into my 2nd generation model. I love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.