Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for a men's belt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P
Recommendation for a men's belt

Can anyone recommend a men's belt with no ferrous metal components so it doesn't set off the metal detector? It should look like a decently nice casual or semi-formal belt. I remember seeing one once but can't remember where.

thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'm going to move this to our new Travel Products Forum where it's likely to receive more response.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
I've bought several men's belts from Coach in the past and none have ever set off the airport metal detectors. The buckle is small and could be alloy, though it appears brass.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
For casual, Eagle Creek used to make a black military web stlye belt, but with a black plastic buckle instead of the brass. Dont know if it's still available.

Magellans has a thin dress type reversible black/brown leather belt with plastic buckle pn MA502. Probably what you're looking for.

Getting rid of my metal belt buckles has got my "false alarms" at the WTMD down to zero. However it is no guarantee you get to always leave your belt on. December in AMS they were running a Belt Fetish operation, ALL belts must come off and go thru the xray. I told them mine was plastic and would not alarm the WTMD, but no exception. Go thru the MD trying to hold your pants up. The joyful experiences of travel.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Go thru the MD trying to hold your pants up. The joyful experiences of travel.
Airport security is often an exercise in humility. I see it as just a matter of time before airport security rules violate the Geneva Convention.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Fair warning!

I bought my husband a pair of the non-metal suspenders from Magellans. They broke very quickly. Magellans refunded but I had to pay for the postage to send them back.

The claw teeth were plastic and failed quickly.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I've had the same plastic-buckled belt for over 6 years now that I always use when flying and never a problem. I bought it from REI. They now carry Eagle Creek's version instead, plus it's also a money belt. Available in black or brown.
http://www.rei.com/product/749322
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Have I just been lucky, or do most belts not set off the metal detector? I've never taken special interest in the make-up of the belt buckles, and I have never had one set off the detector.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have a David Morgan black leather money belt. It is made in Canada. It has a metal buckle but does not set off metal detectors at any US airport I have been through and a few foreign airports too although I was told to remove it before going through the metal detector at FRA on my way to a US bound flight.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
This is a belt that apparently has only velco to hold it together, not a buckle. It's intended to be worn under a police officer's duty belt that hold the holster, radio, flashlight, etc. It could probably be worn by itself in pants belt loops.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blackhawk-Duty-P...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
I've had several

With various metal buckles, and the only one that set off the alarm was a large brass buckle. Even then, it has not always set off the alarm - it depends on the sensitivity settings.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P
thanks folks!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
My belt doesn't set off the metal detectors, but TSA people often insist I take it off anyway.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 1:45 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by 12172003
Can anyone recommend a men's belt with no ferrous metal components so it doesn't set off the metal detector? It should look like a decently nice casual or semi-formal belt.
I don't look for any special belts. I just avoid belts with oversize heavy metal buckles and it works for me.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I currently have three belts (Casual Brown Hilfiger, Casual Black Polo, Dress Reversable Timberland). All three have average size metal buckles and none haver ever set off a metal detector inside the US. Same holds for my wedding ring and the Fisher SpacePen I keep in my wallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.