Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

how to pack a fishing pole and tackle box?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

The offspring has become passionate about fishing. We are considering a trip to Florida in May, and he's been reading up on the great fishing venues. I don't mind spending part of the trip taking him fishing, but how do I pack the rods and tackle box? I know it ain't carry-on - nothing in that tackle box the TSA would allow on board.

Also, anyone know how much extra is the airline likely to charge me for checking fishing gear? We'll likely be on DL.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Have traveled to many locations with my fishing gear and it's not a problem. The biggest piece of equipment you will need rod tube for the poles. You can find these at Cabela's or any other online retailer. Just make sure you tape your name and address to the outside of the tube. If the rods are compact enough you will be able to carry onto the plane. If they are not compact, you will need to check them.

The tackle box can be a fun one. If you are doing fly fishing, the TSA allows you to carry the flies onto the flight as they are delicate and can be damaged. I have done this for both domestic and international flights. I would print a copy of the TSA rules just in case you find someone that does not know about the rules. If you are using regular fishing lures, you will want to check them in your baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1188.shtm

Just make sure that if you carry on your equipment, you remove any knives or similar items that are banned by TSA.

Good luck and enjoy the fishing!!
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCATravel
Have traveled to many locations with my fishing gear and it's not a problem. The biggest piece of equipment you will need rod tube for the poles. You can find these at Cabela's or any other online retailer.
Oh, please, no, not the Cabela's catalog!! My son has practically memorized its inventory of fishing gear, and I know if I order one thing from it, I'll be stuck ordering dozens.

Originally Posted by DCATravel
The tackle box can be a fun one. If you are doing fly fishing, the TSA allows you to carry the flies onto the flight as they are delicate and can be damaged.

Just make sure that if you carry on your equipment, you remove any knives or similar items that are banned by TSA.
How do they feel about live bait?

He has got a wild variety of lures, a knife, pliers w/ a cutting edge and some vicious hooks - I find myself tempted to trust UPS with the tackle box, rather than the TSA.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:04 am

I checked a bag a few years ago that had nothing in it but my pole and my tackle. Its the only time my bag had ever been searched (before or after that point) but otherwise there were no problems. I just had a friendly little "we thought your fishing gear was a terrorist device capable of mass destruction so we checked it" note in my bag when I got to my destination.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Yes...the dreaded (for non-anglers and hunters) Cabela's catalog. You can't live without one. As for the live bait, the TSA will most likely have an issue with this item and I imagine it will be hard to pack. Depending on the part of Florida you are going to, you should be able to purchase live bait without a problem. Have fished in the Keys, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Ft. Meyers, and other locations without having a problem finding bait. If you are using live bait it will need to receive oxygen and have space. Don't forget the weight issue with your luggage as well.

FedEx is the safest but you will most likely be fine if checked in your bag and the items are secure. TSA only has issues if they can't identify or you try to carry on. Traveling through Dulles this weekend for a Pheasant hunt with a Shotgun and not expecting many problems. In fact, most TSA screeners will not even want me to open the case and just review the security image. As long as you check the bags and answer any questions they have, it shouldn't be a problem.

What part of FL are you fishing?

Last edited by DCATravel; Mar 19, 2008 at 7:48 am
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As seen on TV, here is your solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-.../dp/B000FJD2VA

Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
The best way to pack a fishing pole is to get a piece of 2" PVC pipes cut to fit your rod. Glue an end cap on one side and take another end cap and sand the inside of it so you can slide it on and off. Rock solid and your poles wont get beat up. The only down side is that your rod case will look like 4' pipe bomb.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: US,HH
Originally Posted by soloban
The best way to pack a fishing pole is to get a piece of 2" PVC pipes cut to fit your rod. Glue an end cap on one side and take another end cap and sand the inside of it so you can slide it on and off. Rock solid and your poles wont get beat up. The only down side is that your rod case will look like 4' pipe bomb.
Absolutely agree. This is the least expensive and safest way to ship or check as luggage. My brother custom builds fly rods and it is the only way to go. Check out Home Depot or Lowes for supplies.

Edit to add- Wrap the tip of the pole in packing bubbles or some such material as these are easily broken. Bring along a few extra tips and a glue stick in case it does break.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Not sure about other airlines, but AS has a useful clause when getting loads of fish:

When the third bag is fishing equipment (two rods, two reels, and one tackle box), the third bag shall be free.
A little backwards from where everyone is heading for checked baggage.

Also, I've seen several flights with people bringing the rods (in a hard case) onboard flights and putting them in the overhead compartments. They typically find a section long enough to fit them, but some planes may differ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.