Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal Alarm Device

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Personal Alarm Device

Just read an ad online (Yahoo.finance) which was touting a personal alarm device which emits a very loud alarm sound; looks like a little grenade with a pin which you pull to activate the alarm and reinsert to turn it off. Has anyone had any experience with this device. Reasonably inexpensive - 10 for $109.95USD. Sounds (no pun intended) like a sound addition to having a can of pepper spray when alone.....
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:34 pm

When abroad I travel with a whistle, It's low tech, but it can be used to summon attention or assistance should the need arise.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:42 am

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-40-Whistl.../dp/B000A20X32

I just bring a whistle when needed.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I would not travel with something that looks like a "little grenade". In this day and age, no way! Also pepper spray is a non-starter in both checked luggage and cabin. So unless you are driving, forgetaboutit....
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timfountain
I would not travel with something that looks like a "little grenade". In this day and age, no way! Also pepper spray is a non-starter in both checked luggage and cabin. So unless you are driving, forgetaboutit....
Actually it is in the shape of a teardrop which fits in the palm of your hand and has a little pin that is pulled. Thanks for your comment.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:40 pm

I don't use a 'personal alarm' as such, but I do occasionally use one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which could also be used as a personal alarm.

Since we have this topic, does anyone else use these sort of things? - or, different, better, ones?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
You know, in 50 plus years of travel it has never occurred to me once that "hey, I should travel with a personal alarm".
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:10 pm

I've never thought about carrying this sort of alarm (I do carry a whistle when I go hiking, though). I have considered buying a high-tech doorstop that sounds an alarm if someone tries to force the door open, though.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:21 pm

Again, since we now have this thread, does anyone else use these sorts of things or different/better ones?

Originally Posted by bagobsessive
I don't use a 'personal alarm' as such, but I do occasionally use one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which could also be used as a personal alarm.

Since we have this topic, does anyone else use these sort of things? - or, different, better, ones?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mapleg
You know, in 50 plus years of travel it has never occurred to me once that "hey, I should travel with a personal alarm".
When I first went to stay at a school away from home, I was given a welcome kit that included a safety whistle along with a long lanyard for a key and whistle attachment. While the whistle may be more attention grabbing than a dog bark, the whirling keys had their own use.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I see the OP is in the USA. When traveling within many US states, you may be allowed to take your permitted concealed carry weapon as checked luggage. Nothing will dissuade an attacker faster than Smith & Wesson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.