Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Luggage advice (DSLR + lenses, Laptop, CPAP, multi-week trip)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I have been banging my head on this for a while....

Besides my domestic travel, I do 4-5 trips a year that are two weeks in duration to Asia.

Because of my origination airport, I always fly a CRJ of some sort to connect into a larger airport (usually DTW).

When I do this trip without taking a DSLR + lenses, I take the two bag + medical device route:

1. A carry-on roller (Hartmann) (clothes, etc.)
2. Briefcase (Mac Book 15" Pro, iPAD Air and all the usual adapters and plugs....) 3. CPAP in its own travel bag.

The roller always gets gate checked on the CRJ and then I carry everything on the larger plane (much to most peoples frustration, since they see three bags ...)

Now that I have picked up a DSLR, that I would like to be able to take, I am struggling to find a good method of accommodating the DSLR, with 2-3 lenses and possibly a tripod.

I recognize that I may need to start checking a bag ... :-(

I have this concept of being able to do the laptop and camera gear in one bag and then a roller and then my CPAP... but doubt that I could make that whole thing carry-on compatible.

I have looked at the Think Tank Airport Line (with and without wheels), the Lowe Pro Runner line (with and without wheels), the ONA bags, Mindshift and a few others ... I am not tied to briefcase style versus backpack ... just needs to be comfortable and usable without being unnecessarily bulky...

When I am in Asia, I would love to be able to easily take the laptop and accessories to work, with or without the camera stuff, depending on the day's plans and such...

Any thoughts, ideas, new concepts on how to package / combine my travel items is more than welcome.

Thank you very much!!!

Patrick
Old May 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Computrekker or computrekker plus? As if you are also doing a roller couldn't seeing having two rollers. I wouldn't recommend a shoulder bag given the weight and asymmetry of carrying all that stuff. I've had the plus and the currently the computrekker. I can easily pack a FX, three lens, charger, accessories and laptop. In my roller carry on everything else.

I often do the jump to SEA or SFO in a regional and haven't had problems slipping the backpack under the seat, on the smaller planes I'm sure it is too thick for the overhead. I do know if they weigh it, it breaks the carry on limit.

As to comfort that comes down to personal fitness and capability. I haven't had any problems hiking thru airports with the trekker or the trekker plus thru Europe, but didn't try to board a plane with it. Once I get wherever I'm going I lighten the load considerably. I've managed to bring tripod once, but that just takes all the fun out of traveling.. these days the iPhone is it, except for sports shooting.

Good luck... DSLR and traveling makes the mirrorless like the new Sony very attractive with light small lens.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ... looks like the computrekker /plus is discontinued? Looks like the Pro Runner might be similar ... I've ordered one from B&H since they have fantastic prices on them. Specifically the RL x450 ... I'll report back once I get it!
Old May 2, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I use 2 photography carry on bags when I travel and carry 2 tripods in my checked luggage.

Photography roller bag - ThinkTank Airport Takeoff 2.0

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/produ...t-takeoff-v2-0

Photography backpack bag - Kata 3N1-25PL (Manfrotto bought the company)

This bag comes with a laptop pouch, on some of the smaller planes I would have to take out laptop pouch for the bag to fit into overhead bin.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Backpack.html

This bag is actually slightly larger but its softer and I never had problems fitting it into overhead bins, even on small regional planes.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Buy a travel CPAP

Do check out some of the really compact travel CPAP machines that are available. You can ditch the bulky home CPAP machine and bag and fit the travel one in one of your carryon bags.
They work really well and you can use them on overnight long haul flights. All are dual voltage so all you need is the adaptor plug to fit into whatever wall socket you encounter on your travels.
I can fit my travel CPAP, electric cord,mask,tubing,etc in an Eagle Creek compression bag and it is not nearly as heavy as the one you use at home.
Good luck.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:53 pm

We have a Tenba shootout 24l backpack. It's just the right size to fit under the seat and holds two bodies(7100, 810) and five lenses (18-55dx, 55-300dx, 14-24fx, 24-120fx, 150-600fx) plus computer with associated stuff. I dont think it would hold all my work stuff, but certainly the slimmed down version I take on long trips. It is a fantastic pack and doesn't look too photographer. I also have an ONA messanger bag that looks great but is a little small. I'd say maybe one lens with body is all I would take if I wanted to carry a full load of computer stuff.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Do check out some of the really compact travel CPAP machines that are available.
Yes - I'd say you're a poster-child for reducing the size of your tech.

A Macbook takes up about as much space as 50 pieces of paper. And I have a full-size tripod that is 11" long and weighs two pounds which easily accomodates my DSLR.

It's not as comfortable as a "full" tripod, but you can't beat it for travel.

If you can reduce the size of your kit, you get to reduce the size of your bags.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:21 pm

So my standard for the past few years has been my Dakine backpack with a padded camera cube insert and I would pack it with 2 2010 macbook pros (13&15in) an ipad, my camera, all my lenses, a flash, tons of extra batteries, a charger, a power strip, snacks, pens and tons of extra stuff and it always either fit in the overhead or under the seat though it was heavy as ..... However, I have just updated that to the Wandrd Prvke 21, after searching for months for a solid backpack that can also transport my camera. I can update you once the bag comes in
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Just a follow-up thanks to everyone for chiming in. I first bought the Lowepro Pro Runner RL x450 AW II Backpack... But after opening it up, I found that it was just going to be too big. It really isn't a backpack first... more of a roller luggage item with back pack as an option, but not one you would want to use as the norm, at least for me.

So I returned it and picked up the ThinkTank Shape Shifter 17 V2.0. Which I absolutely love! The ability to carry my full gear, including MacBook pro and iPad, plus the ability to collapse the camera section when the gear is not in tow makes it really nice.

Took it to China for two weeks in May with great success, even carrying a tripod from time to time. And will be taking it back to China in a couple of weeks for a three week trip.

Patrick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.