Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Away Carry-On vs. Rimowa Topas Stealth

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Away Carry-On vs. Rimowa Topas Stealth

I'm pretty sure the title alone will make most of you roll your eyes - but believe it or not - I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

The Away Carry-On appeals to me because it's relatively inexpensive, very light, its got TSA locks, dividers and zippers inside, built in laundry bag, lifetime warranty, and a battery with USB charging.

The Stealth appeals to me because it feels VERY solid - a lot more solid that the Away, the TSA latch feels more secure than a zipper, additional bag holder, the dimensions (the fact that its a bit shorter and less deep) will make it less likely to be picked out by the GA for gate check, and the brand is reputable.

The truth is - the only thing that is making this decision difficult is the USB charging on the Away case - I use my phone a lot - not sure if I'll ever be in a spot where I won't find a plug or a charging station in an airport - but it feels good to know its there. Otherwise - everything else about the Topas feels superior to the Away.

I fly maybe 4-5 times a year - not very much at all - but I do plan on using the case for long weekends and road trips. The question I have is - is this enough of a reason to go with the Away over the Topas?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Let me just say I have neither of the bags mentioned. Remember the charging station has to be removed and charged at some point. If you need a charger buy a portable one. They have them from lipstick size to a little bigger. I use my phone quite a bit so I have a Jackery charger it can charge two devices at once. It fits in my charger case when I travel. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
Let me just say I have neither of the bags mentioned. Remember the charging station has to be removed and charged at some point. If you need a charger buy a portable one. They have them from lipstick size to a little bigger. I use my phone quite a bit so I have a Jackery charger it can charge two devices at once. It fits in my charger case when I travel. Hope this helps.
The battery on the Away is charged via micro USB next to the USB slots for charge output.

But - you're right - I can always carry a portable battery.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Personally I have been contemplating on buying a Rimowa or Away but I think I am going towards Away. I like the lifetime warranty and not to mention cheaper.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I actually went the other way and decided to go with the Topas Stealth. I prefer its solid build and locks to the Away. The Away is a solid option - it was a very difficult decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.