Search

"new" IATA carry on size 55x40x20cm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, IHG Plat, Herts PC, Marriott Silver
"new" IATA carry on size 55x40x20cm

Hey guys,

I am starting a new gig in Feb which includes weekly European travel and while I was browsing I saw that LH already has these sizes up which is bigger than my current carry on (Tumi international which is 23cm deep).

Any experiences how strict they are enforcing these rules?

Or basically: do I need to get a new carry on :-)

Mostly travelling LH and Brussels Airlines but could include others like BA and Alitalia.

All comments/insights are appreciated.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:52 am

My experience is that enforcement is pretty random, but much more enforcement of size and especially weight than the in the U.S. -Also I have just done pleasure travel in Europe, so hopefully someone with more routine and frequent business travel can comment.

If your current bag is close to the requirements, maybe use it for a while and see how it works for you? How small and light can/could you go? Worst case you have to gate check it. But most importantly, it will give you an opportunity to see what will work, as well as see what styles and sizes other peers are using, so you can make a good choice buying new.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Both LH and SN limit carry-on bag size to 55x40x23, with max. weight of 8kgs (SN gives a 12 kg weight allowance, including the 'personal item'). Enforcement is random, but as NeilA said, much more frequent and stricter than what you are used from US legacy carriers. With LH, expect your carry-on to be weighed regularly (one reason why I shifted travel to BA from LH was LHs ienforcement of the 8kg limit - IT equipment is heavy ).
BA limits carry-on bags to 56x45x25, with a 23-kg weight limit. Their 'personal item' size limit was reduced to 40x30x15 (from 45x36x20) fairly recently, but weight isn't an issue with a 23kg limit for this also.
There was a period of strict enforcement after the new, downsized rules went into effect in mid-2015, but enforcement is random now.

Alitalia's allowance is 55x35x25 /8kgs, and in my limited experience enforcement is only an issue on their Embraer regional planes which have small overhead bins.

You definitely do not need a new bag when traveling LH/SN, BA or AZ, but watch the weight on LH.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I only fly LH in J/F and have never had any enforcement issues.

I am an bit worried though because 8kg is pretty much nothing. Rimowa Topas + Macbook + Camera is way over 8kg.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by SpinMod81

All comments/insights are appreciated.
This goes for you (and anyone else with the same concern).

You will NEVER get stopped at the gate so long as you follow these Golden Rules:

1. Book your ticket and/or check in early enough to be in the first or second boarding group.

2. Limit your exposure to a rolling carry-on and a reasonably sized personal item.

3. Look neat and professional, not like you just rolled out of bed.

4. Don't carry loose shopping bags, pillows, or newspapers. Wear your coat, don't carry it.

5. Have your boarding pass out and easily within reach. Smile and say something complimentary as you approach gate agents.

Your bag gets gate checked when the agents get to the third boarding group and space onboard begins to get limited. They then start looking for people carrying too much stuff (usually in shopping bags), dragging loose items (pillows and coats), people who are unkempt (uncombed hair, flip-flops), people who are disorganized (boarding pass not ready, juggling), and people with poor demeanor's (body language). It's completely subjective, there is no consistency. Gate agents anticipate how much overhead bin space you are going to occupy by your behavior and presentation. If you are disheveled and disorganized they are going to think you're going to hog space.

Board on time, look neat, appear organized, act pleasant, don't try to sneak extra items onboard, be respectful, it's 99% of the battle. Perception is reality. Point is, it's not about your carry-on; it's about you.

BJ
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
This could not be more wrong. Maybe some airlines, maybe some airports are subjective like this.

But there are airlines, especially in Europe which make a killing on bag fees and will consistently enforce bag sizes and count. But, the ones you mentioned are not such except for BA. BA has been the only airline that ever made me put my trusty backpack in a sizer and they are moving towards LCC every day so expect trouble with them.

In my experience, the key to avoid trouble is to avoid rolling bags. Noone cares about backpacks.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
This could not be more wrong. Maybe some airlines, maybe some airports are subjective like this.

But there are airlines, especially in Europe which make a killing on bag fees and will consistently enforce bag sizes and count. But, the ones you mentioned are not such except for BA. BA has been the only airline that ever made me put my trusty backpack in a sizer and they are moving towards LCC every day so expect trouble with them.

In my experience, the key to avoid trouble is to avoid rolling bags. Noone cares about backpacks.
Disagree completely. I've been traveling the world since 1986, hundreds of trips, scores of airlines, dozens of aircraft, and I've never had a rolling-carryon checked by a gate agent, ever. That's not true- it happened exactly one time and it's because my connecting flight was delayed and I was the last to board. So my scorecard looks like this:

Overhead Success: 524
Bag Gate Checked: 1

And this "Europe fear" is the least of concern, unless you're flying some budget carrier or charter service on your way to a hostel. Quality international airlines want your business, they want you to be happy, they don't want to give you an excuse to fly another carrier.

The idea is to look like a neat and respectful traveler so that if your carry-on is a half an inch too tall or a pound too heavy the gate agents don't notice. You want them to think you're the guy who is going to put his bag in the right way, take only the space allotted under the seat in front of you, and cause no disruption.

When you walk up, you want the gate agent to look right past you to the overweight person behind you who looks like they haven't showered in a week, brought all their horded belongings in plastic bags, carries a dirty bed pillow, is wearing smelly flip-flops, and is trying to sneak three backpacks onboard. It's that person that gets fingered and bag checked. It's not about your bag or it's weight. The key is to take the emphasis off yourself so that someone else gets noticed. And they always do. There are plenty of them. They're the people who are loudest and most paranoid about being gate checked. Because they're not smart about the process. They send signals. They are just begging to be noticed.

BJ
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
LH does enforce their carry-on weight limit by weighing bags at check-in. And when yours is overweight you'll have to give it up and check it in regardless of status or class of service. Granted, this happens randomly and can mostly be avoided by staying away from check-in counters, but it does happen.
There have been lots and lots of rants from disgruntled passengers right here on FT about this practice. Here's a very recent example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...customers.html

Originally Posted by chx1975
This. Small backpacks usually escape the weight police scrutiny.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:28 pm

A few weeks ago I was first at the gate at LCY for a BA flight. As soon as I handed them my boarding card to get into the waiting area they told me my bag was going to be checked because the flight was full and they were taking the first ten bags. I made a stink and they let me off. But not the next ten.

Gate agents are a fickle lot. Some enforce the rules, some don't.

And BoltJames...not all overweight people are smelly, wear flipflops, carry plastic bags, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A sure fire way to get a free upgrade to F is to dress well, act respectfully, and seem like you know what you're doing. Point is, upgrades are not about your status, they're about you.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1Bag1World

And BoltJames...not all overweight people are smelly, wear flipflops, carry plastic bags, etc.
I did not characterize all overweight people as unkempt; I merely stated that there usually are a few people on each flight that either don't pay attention to the carryon limits or think they don't apply and it's those people that get called out and have their bags gate checked. And, like it or not, appearance matters, if you look like a seasoned professional you are treated as such, if you look like you just rolled out of bed you are judged differently. Gate agents finger those for checking subjectively, it's not objective at all- until the last boarding group where the overhead space is depleted.

From 30 years of personal experience, I've respected the carryon rules, I respect the gate staff, I board in the first two groups, and even if my bag is overweight or bulging, I glide right by without being questioned.

BJ
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
A sure fire way to get a free upgrade to F is to dress well, act respectfully, and seem like you know what you're doing. Point is, upgrades are not about your status, they're about you.
Exactly.

If someone from coach is fortunate enough to be in consideration for the lone available first class seat remaining that person is going to have to look like he belongs in first class.

And don't bring a pet on the flight. No one likes those people.

BJ
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Exactly.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:18 am

I think James makes a good point.

I can describe the couple that had their carry-on bags weighed by LH in Berlin a few weeks ago as follows:

1. They were "sneaky" and successfully cut into the bag-check/check-in line in front of me. (seems more common in Europe than North America)

2. They weren't necessarily badly dressed, but didn't project a "smart" appearance.

I looked (I assume) like a seasoned long haul traveller. Although I wear nylon pants and a fleece jacket on long flights, I strive to project an overall appearance of being clean, neat and pleasant - the person you would not mind or even enjoy sitting next to. With the exception of EasyJet my carry-on has never been scrutinized, and I am usually at least a little over size and/or weight.

I also find people with pets and women that 1. try to carry-on ridiculous amounts of baggage and 2. Wear those long pajama looking dresses very off-putting/abnoxious.

Last edited by NeilA; Jan 22, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by NeilA
I think James makes a good point.

I can describe the couple that had their carry-on bags weighed by LH in Berlin a few weeks ago as follows:

1. They were "sneaky" and successfully cut into the bag-check/check-in line in front of me. (seems more common in Europe than North America)

2. They weren't necessarily badly dressed, but didn't project a "smart" appearance.

I looked (I assume) like a seasoned long haul traveller. Although I wear nylon pants and a fleece jacket on long flights, I strive to project an overall appearance of being clean, neat and pleasant - the person you would not mind or even enjoy sitting next to. With the exception of EasyJet my carry-on has never been scrutinized, and I am usually at least a little over size and/or weight.

I also find people with pets and women that 1. try to carry-on ridiculous amounts of baggage and 2. Wear those long pajama looking dresses very off-putting/abnoxious.
No one likes to hear this but it's all true.

Half the battle; no, check that- the whole battle- is creating the perception that a) you're not sneaking on extra stuff and b) that once onboard you are going to stay within your space and board in a quick fashion.

This endless focus on bag sizes and bag weight is just wasted energy. Get a good boarding position, follow the tips outlined in this thread, you'll never get checked even if your bag is an inch too tall or a pound overweight.

BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.