Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some real world information about the Bellroy Passport Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Need some real world information about the Bellroy Passport Sleeve

I've searched high and low all over the internet looking for an answer to this question, but I can't seem to find the right answer. Bellroy's customer service didn't help either, as their answer can be summed up as "I don't know, maybe."

So, hopefully somebody on this forum who has one in hand can answer this question for me:

Can the two card slots on the Bellroy Passport Sleeve fit a card in a RFID sleeve, i.e. the sleeve that comes with a NEXUS card or similar?

I've only got two cards I want to carry with my passport, my NEXUS and another card used for tolls, both are RFID. Everything else I carry elsewhere. So, their sleeve seems to be the perfect option, but only if I don't have to give up RFID protection on the cards to use it.

Thanks for your help,
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:04 am

I have no idea, but I must say the price looks ridiculous, I own http://dashwallets.com/shop/dash-travel-wale which costs a quarter of the price.

Each of the slots can hold even 5 cards (though I guess long term it might not be so good ), and with just one card there is about 0.2cm extra in width, so the question is... how much bigger does your sleeve make your card and is it flexible
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. I was really only looking at the Bellroy because of their reputation, and I really liked their design. But that Dash provides the same design I liked, plus it claims to have built in RFID protection, which would mean I'd be able to carry the cards without needing their sleeves. (That is, if the RFID also protects the card slots and not just the passport slot.)

Time to do more research, but I think we might have a viable option here.

Thanks again,
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:03 am

I also liked their design, and that was before Dash had their passport cover, yet I decided that I am not willing to pay so much for so little

I have the pebble one and Ms. Ditto has the classic one for the last 6 months and quality seems solid, even if it is not as good quality as the Bellroy one I can still buy 2 more and it will still be cheaper

The cards are not fully inside the pocket, so even if the part they are in is RFID protected, it is not enough to block it completely, I was able to read both a CC and an ID card with my phone, both which required positioning the phone and card correctly to make it work, but that could also be partly due to the thick cover of my phone.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Well, I went ahead an ordered the Dash. Unlike the Bellroy, the Dash was priced reasonable enough to try it out, especially since it seems to be on sale right now.

What app (and phone) did you use to read the RFID? Once the dash comes in I'd like to see about testing it out. I'm not sure where the RFID chip is in each of my cards I want to keep in it, but in case it's off-centre (like my credit/debit cards) it might just need to be orientated right in order to use the built in protection. If I can't get protected that way, then I'll have to revert to seeing if I can squeeze their RFID sleeves into the slots.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:33 am

I'm using the LG G4 with "ID-Card Scanner" and "Credit Card Reader" apps.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll update again in a few weeks once the Dash is in hand.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Glad you went with that one. I was going to ask why you were so concerned about RFID security for your two cards, but were going to use a holder that didn't provide any RFID blocking for your passport itself.

That, of course, assumes you're on an American passport (or other country that includes an RFID chip in the binding).

I use something a bit different, but have been looking fo something like this too, unfortunately, it looks like hte Dash won't hold my current passport. I had to have extra pages added so it looks like it may be too thick for the Dash wallet.

Do any of you Dash users have added pages in your passports? Does it still fit?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Do any of you Dash users have added pages in your passports? Does it still fit?
It can even fit 2 passports inside with no issues.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by Ditto
It can even fit 2 passports inside with no issues.
Cool, Thanks for that info. I'll probably order one then to replace my current RFID wallet which is bi-fold and a bit bulky. ^
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH, Marriott
Sold out, is it that good? or was it that cheap?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nemloc
I think he may have linked the wrong product. The above link goes to a much smaller wallet that would not fit a passport. This is the passport wallet.
https://dashwallets.com/collections/...assport-wallet
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by nemloc

Originally Posted by Finkface
I think he may have linked the wrong product. The above link goes to a much smaller wallet that would not fit a passport. This is the passport wallet.
They seem to have changed their website, let's hope they don't do it again, and in case they do, the name of the product is "Dash Travel Passport Wallet"
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
The card slots fit 2 credit cards and a laminated paper insurance card for me, so I don't think an RFID sleeve (a la the one that came with the GE card) will be an issue.

Originally Posted by Syrgul
I've searched high and low all over the internet looking for an answer to this question, but I can't seem to find the right answer. Bellroy's customer service didn't help either, as their answer can be summed up as "I don't know, maybe."

So, hopefully somebody on this forum who has one in hand can answer this question for me:

Can the two card slots on the Bellroy Passport Sleeve fit a card in a RFID sleeve, i.e. the sleeve that comes with a NEXUS card or similar?

I've only got two cards I want to carry with my passport, my NEXUS and another card used for tolls, both are RFID. Everything else I carry elsewhere. So, their sleeve seems to be the perfect option, but only if I don't have to give up RFID protection on the cards to use it.

Thanks for your help,
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Just FYI, if you're interested in the passport sized Dash Wallet, Amazon has them for 19.95 (and free shipping if you have Prime).
https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Co-Passport-Wallet-Minimalist/dp/B01K33X2DU/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.