Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 Wheel vs 4 Wheel Spinner Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

8 Wheel vs 4 Wheel Spinner Luggage

What are the advantages of having a spinner luggage that has dual wheels (so 8 wheels total)? I'm interested in getting a carry-on sized spinner luggage that will be able to fare ok "off-road" (in the dirt/grass/uneven pavement) and was considering the Eagle Creek here: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/no-matter...CategoryId=113 since the wheels look more robust than other spinners. But I wasn't sure if a spinner that has 8 wheels would be better as this only has 4.

The other bag I was considering (which I know is in probably a different class range considering the cheaper price) was this one here: http://www.ebags.com/product/it-lugg...uctid=10469720
I'm never going to be checking in these bags, so the durability doesn't necessarily matter (as long as it doesn't just break under normal use). I just want it to be able to roll fine in various terrain.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:24 pm

My experience is that "off road" and "spinner" don't mix.

Spinners are designed for, and are terrific at the airport and usually at hotels, - anywhere there are smooth, clean, very flat surfaces. Outside of these ideal conditions their performance characteristics deteriorate considerably, and on "dirt/grass/uneven pavement" spinners become a complete PITA. Also, when all those wheels get fouled up in the dirt/grass/uneven pavement and you then roll it on a smooth surface it will be more annoying than a worn out WalMart shopping cart. You will likely end up carrying it to the nearest dumpster.

For your intended application, the fewer wheels the better. If you absolutely need wheels get a roller board, if not, use a backpack.

Last edited by NeilA; Dec 9, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
2 leg bad, 4 legs good!
4 wheels bad, 8 wheels good!

Just get a bag with 2 wheels.
Coathanger likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:27 pm

The "double" wheels are less prone to fall into a crack. In most situations where one wheel might be prone to falling into a crevice, the other wheel is likely to keep out of it. This is also why most baby strollers will have double wheels at all four corners.

I would highly recommend only considering a spinner without double wheels at each corner.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I know that obviously a 2 wheeled luggage would be better for off-road conditions, but I was just curious as to what the best spinner luggage would be in those conditions.

Originally Posted by GoRavens
The "double" wheels are less prone to fall into a crack. In most situations where one wheel might be prone to falling into a crevice, the other wheel is likely to keep out of it. This is also why most baby strollers will have double wheels at all four corners.

I would highly recommend only considering a spinner without double wheels at each corner.
Wouldn't the double wheels at each corner (8 wheels total) be better if what you're saying is true? Why would you only consider a spinner without double wheels if they help you not get stuck in a crack/crevice?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: MP
This is the exact reason I could never get myself to go with a spinner. I know that dragging 2 wheels can be a pain especially if it's a little heavy, but I'd rather muscle my way through for the off chances that I might run into some uneven terrain and rough roads.

Spinner can also put strain on your wrist, too. If you're carrying a very heavy load.
Tesla1856 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Asking "What sort of spinner is good for rough conditions" is akin to saying "I want to drive my skateboard through gravel... what wheels should I use?"

Don't be surprised when people chime in with "don't."

The ONLY conditions I would ever consider a spinner for are airport gate to ten feet of sidewalk to cab. Anything more onerous than that (snow, mud, sidewalks, curbs, gravel, grass, dirt, stairs, grates...) and you quickly realize that a spinner may have some utility - but it's not there.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
yea offroad spinner sounds a bit mad, if i travel too Europe with cobble stones I usually lift my spinner off the cobbles to avoid damage (both to wheels and undercarriage)

not worth it.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:14 pm

Sorry, typo there. I would only consider a spinner with double wheels at all four corners.

If you plan to be rolling over gravel or dirt though, I would avoid spinners altogether. For "off road" reliability (with wheels) I'd get a two-wheeler, preferably with larger diameter wheels. Larger wheels should soak up bumps better - all else being equal. I'd also want those wheels to be easily field replaceable.

Buy you would probably do better to avoid wheels altogether if not on hard / smooth / paved surfaces.

Originally Posted by FlyerLoop
...Wouldn't the double wheels at each corner (8 wheels total) be better if what you're saying is true? Why would you only consider a spinner without double wheels if they help you not get stuck in a crack/crevice?

Last edited by GoRavens; Dec 13, 2016 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I have an 8 wheeled cabin spinner and a close friend has a 4 wheeler.

I have been able to glide across any sort of semi-hard surface with slightly more ease than my old 2 wheel bag. In 6 months of sustained travel, the wheels have held up with nary a squeak.

My friend has had her bag a bit longer and 2 wheels have had their bearings ground to nearly a halt after a year of light travel.

Is this due to the the difference in the number of wheels? Perhaps, more wheels mean less load per wheel and that would seem to imply improved durability.

I do think the overriding factor is wheel construction and bearing quality. So whichever you choose, be sure to go with a brand know for having great wheels and you should be OK.

Tbh, if you're expecting to traverse wilderness, having a bag you can carry will always be the best option.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:24 am

Here is an option. In addition to bearing/wheel quality, an eye towards availability of replacement wheels and ease of replacement would be wise. Although I have no knowledge or experience with this particular bag, it appsars to be a good choice.

http://www.strongbags.com/products/4...n-4-wheel.html

Last edited by NeilA; Dec 18, 2016 at 9:33 am
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeilA
Here is an option. In addition to bearing/wheel quality, an eye towards availability of replacement wheels and ease of replacement would be wise. Although I have no knowledge or experience with this particular bag, it appsars to be a good choice.

http://www.strongbags.com/products/4...n-4-wheel.html
Yeah, that looks like it would hold up.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
My experience: Rome, Madrid, Barcelona and Paris cobblestone streets with HEAVY loaded 29" TravelPro 4-wheeled spinner... survived and still working.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Having had the last generation of these babies the new gen that went up a few days ago looks very promising. I’m usually sceptical of claims on Kickstarter etc But these are the best 4 wheel spinners I’ve used. The new version of the Kabuto takes care of my biggest issue with the previous generation which was an easy device pocket attachment and way to charge them.

https://kabuto.kckb.st/797628cc
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:35 pm

8 wheel bags are good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.